SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
transnationalq

Basement Heating for a Fieldstone basement.

transnationalq
5 years ago

Hey folks!

We're about to dive into turning our basement into a bit of a play/mess/breakout room for the kids.

What we have: is a fieldstone basement. It is dry. We are kind of on a hill and most of the area around the house slopes away from it. We do have some humidity in the summer but run a dehumidifier for it and have not had trouble. There is some overhead wiring that will be taken care of. The ceiling of the basement is basically the subfloor of the first floor. The floor of the basement was redone with a vapour barrier underneath it when we moved in and had work done to install a Radon removal system.

Its not a huge clearance but it is enough. My 6 5" husband can walk around without hitting his head unless. Obviously has to duck to pass under the duct work.

Plan: Insulate the ceiling to trap heat in the basement when being heated, and drywall it. We feel this will also increase warmth on the first floor by eliminating drafts from the basement (old house, no underlayment between subfloor and hardwood. Insulate the rim joist even more and seal air leaks. Lay down a flooring. Build a drywall wall against external walls leaving an airgap between the two.

Looking for: Heating options. We have a hot air furnace for the house (it will be behind a partition wall). I do not think taking a feed off of that is a great idea as we don't need to heat that area continuously. Currently thinking of underfloor heating as the number 1 option and seeking feedback if anyone has used that.

What are the other options for heating? Want to avoid baseboard heaters so the space along the walls is clear and can be used.

I look forward to hearing experiences and suggestions on this. :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x