SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2567466

Based on this color scheme, what color would you paint bedroom walls?

Cor
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Will be decorating bedroom based on this color scheme. What color would you paint the walls? I have the lighter aqua in the curtains. Nothing else is purchased yet. Thanks.

Comments (43)

• Marie Brais
    5 years ago
    I would get all fabrics like bedding corresponding to the selected color scheme first and then choose the paint color from that fabrics. It's a lot easier to match paint to fabrics than choose fabrics matching with a particular color paint.

Personnally, in your color scheme, I would pick the lightiest aqua but much more lightier, with a navy accent wall. Those two colors are great together. The other colors would be found in small touches in some decoration items like cushions and photo frames.
    Cor thanked Marie Brais
  • Related Discussions

Color scheme for bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    With the contemporary style bed, I think a monochromatic look would be very cool. Linens a touch paler than the walls, or white, or some combination of that. Then you could do just one thing, such as a small bolster on the bed, in a surprise color like tangerine, deep aqua or raspberry.
    ...See More

what color scheme to use for 3-level tray ceiling in bedroom

Q

Comments (0)
    I would like suggestions for colors to paint my tray ceiling- currently painted medium blue walls& top level, then pale blue, then tan in lowest level. I like the colors except tan & want to refresh. Thanks!
    ...See More

Bedroom paint colours - 2 bedroom apartment

Q

Comments (8)
    @acmI am in your ballpark. I have a lot of bedding and switch it out regularly. I pick my bedroom and bathroom paint colors based on what I like and what works with the rest of the house, then I select bedding that works with the bedroom paint color. I do agree with getting your sofa before deciding color in a living room paint color - don't replace my sofa often and color choices are more limited. Same with some other choices - kitchen cabinets, flooring, counter tops. Those stay for a long time and I will paint again before replacing those.
    ...See More

Primary bedroom color scheme help

Q

Comments (6)
    IMO bedroom decor really iI think s made easier when the bedding is chosen first . Is all the stuff in the pics already belong to you?I would wait to decide wall color but this bedding could work not to flowery and not too masculine .I think it could be great with the lamps . Can we see the bed please just in a nother comment.This bedding actually has no yellow but gives the impression it is there somewhere . I aslo think it will work with the wall colr. I need to see the bed to give ideas for the night dstands. The bedding is Eddie Bauer Sorry missed the bed picture . So I like a nice simple wood night table hopefully the same colr as the headboard.I do not lovet duvets but coverlets are awesome like this one i show . All the walls the blue then a nice lime green throw a chair like the one in the pic but another color and then window coverings . Ilove drapes in a bedroom for a nice cozy fee and you coud do a nice linen in the palest of of yellow . I would do wider night tables for sure .
    ...See More
  • Sandra Martin
    5 years ago

I think the colors are lovely for decor but far too dark for walls.

Cor thanked Sandra Martin
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, I agree, the colors are too dark for walls. That's why I am asking - I'm thinking a neutral, but not sure what direction to go in. I am planning on neutral bedding, knitting up a throw in the purple, I like the idea of the navy for picture frame color (I am planning a photo gallery wall in either black and white or sepia prints and probably a throw pillow in the yellow.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

it just depends on what the bed, night stands, flooring and bedding will be. With these colors I'd do a comforter , and maybe a bench or chair. Add pillows and artwork.

If you kept the walls neutral, the bold colors will be in small doses so it won't look like a circus came to town in your bedroom. You could also paint an accent wall behind the bed, if you have a room that supports that look. I have a black wall behind mine.

Cor thanked Beth H. :
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The furniture is mahogany, natural stained red oak floors, white trim, aqua curtains, My goal is to play up textures verses using pattern. I am open to painting my nightstands either the dark turquiose or navy blue. Currently have a chocolate brown area rug which will probably have to go.

• kodiac23
    5 years ago

A neutral cream or off white.

Cor thanked kodiac23
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

THe walls are currently SW Lotus Pod.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

here's lotus pod w/some other combos

Cor thanked Beth H. :
  • J Williams
    5 years ago

Sounds like your room is quite red toned now, furniture and floors. A dark teal would be a good contrast, but might be too intense (although I feel a bedroom can stand to be dark and dramatic if light is adequate). A soft creamy yellow, a citrus colour, or a similar soft warm colour would be more harmonious and calmer perhaps, depending on your taste. A soft lavender might also make sense.

http://thekeenanhouse.com/butter-color-paint/butter-color-paint-color-paint-with-wooden-bathroom-mirrors-bedroom-traditional-and-butter-yellow-walls-large-buttercream-chalk-paint-colors/

https://www.camerdesign.com/teal-living-room-ideas-for-calm-nuance

https://origin.behr.com/architect/ColorDetailView/M540-1

• Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, what website is that from? Thanks.

• Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

J Williams - you are correct, a lot of red tones. Am I figting the red or am I going in the right direction?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

google SW Lotus Pod and go to images.

I like that last grouping of colors. you could do your darker tones w/the bedding and accents. I'd go lighter on the furniture though.

Cor thanked Beth H. :
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I like this better than my first inspiration colors. I could have the bedding in the darker teal, curtains in the aqua, brown area rug, creamy walls, and the violets for accents.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    If you are keeping wall color, pick one strong color, possibly the deep teal and do a bench in that. Then add lamps in gold and with creamy shades. Add small touches with pillows of other strong colors in your color palette. Too much color in a bedroom can be too stimulating for sleep.
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The wall color is currently SW Lotus Pod, but I am open to painting the walls. They need to be painted as I took down photos and wall art and have holes to fill, spakle, prime and paint. I love color, so that is not an issue. The room is currently deep orange, red, yellow and chocolate brown.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Cor-here are some bedrooms with the strong teal.
    Cor thanked Flo Mangan
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo - the bottom one speaks to me the most!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Great. Easy to duplicate the look. Can you post pics of your room. Or do a sketch of space?
    Cor thanked Flo Mangan
  • abbycat9990
    5 years ago

How much natural light does the room get? We used BM Lush AF 475 in a guest bedroom with south and west facing windows, and I loved it. It didn't feel dark at all. We sold that house a few years ago, but here's a listing photo

Cor thanked abbycat9990
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Not too sure I can paint the walls a dark color, or even an accent color behind the bed. The room is East facing and does not get much natural sunlight.

• Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

any better furniture arraingements?

• skmom
    5 years ago
    Really pretty colors, I’ve always loved jewel tones! I really, really like the creamy white colors that have been mentioned... my other thought (and don’t hate me for it) would be a medium cool grey color and I only say that because I’ve found that in the bedroom I prefer to have colors that look amazing with my skin tone... and warm, beige colors make me look dead. LOL! Hey, I figure I will use all the help I can get to look good in there! LOL! Fwiw, I made that kind of a policy in my current house after I loved the colors that were painted in my last house but then realized I never looked good in photographs in that house. So yeah, now it’s all colors that look good on me. Hahahaha! (At least the main colors are. I have some orange colored accents even though orange and yellow make me look like a zombie. But now my main colors are crisp whites and blues, instead of my former house where it was taupe and olive green with red accents... those were not good colors for me at all!)
    Cor thanked skmom
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

One possible adjustment to your arrangement would be to put all your dressers and vanity along the long wall opposite the bed and that would allow for a small chair and table for reading, perhaps watching a bit of TV? with a small table/stool table. Not sure of measurements of your dressers, so I just estimated. But you have a nice long wall there. It would make the room feel bigger as well. It is a great room. Here is a possible layout. I will post in a moment. Having trouble loading drawing.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Trying again.
    Cor thanked Flo Mangan
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Interesting Flo - would you but them all up against one another on the wall like in the picture? I would love to have a reading chair in the room!!!!!!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Give me the measurements of each item. But yes, I would put them pretty much close together. Might leave some room, if you can for the vanity to give a bit more visual space. A mirror above the vanity might look good too. Does your dresser have a mirror? Probably don't need that one. Or depending on it's size, might work over vanity instead of over dresser.

Cor thanked Flo Mangan
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

Following, can't really see all the pieces lined up on one wall. Are the dressers both low?

Cor thanked hollybar
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

dresser 1 : 34" wide x 19" deep x 51" high

dresser 2: 46" wide x 21" deep x 36" high

vanity: 48" wide x 18" deep x 30" high

I do have a mirror that is part of the dresser set, but coordinates with the vanity

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Rev. 2. I put the widest dresser first upon entering the room. That keeps things more open. Then the vanity with mirror. The mirror will help balance that wall. The the taller dresser on the far end. Still leaves you room for a bench and a small scale chair. I could see a rocker/swivel reading chair with a small footstool for reading. You could use wider nightstands too. You have the room. Just depends on size and height if your mattress.
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The tall dresser will fit on the wall space between the bathroom and closer doors - the only thing is, you kind of walk right into it when you enter the room from the hallway.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

No I wouldn't put a piece of furniture there. Too inconvenient. Do you have "sliders". These are little pads that fit under the legs of furniture and make moving furniture a breeze. Available at Lowes and Home Depot. Terrific item. They come in solid for carpeted floors and kind of faux sheep skin for hardwoods and tile.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

When you line the furniture up, you can put the mirror over the dresser if that is your preference, and then put a piece of pretty art over the vanity, and do a plug in vanity make-up mirror on the vanity. It will provide something interesting to look at when you are in bed! You can line up the tops of things to the tall dresser to keep a uniform look going and it will unite the pieces!

Cor thanked Flo Mangan
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

moving furniture around now. :-)

• dretutz
    5 years ago

Consider Ben Moore's Tranquility. It would be stunning with the color scheme.

Cor thanked dretutz
  • salonva
    5 years ago

I am totally loving that Lotus Pad color.

Cor thanked salonva
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don't like it - all three pieces are different heights, widths, depths and it looks very heavy on that wall. Any other suggestions?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

OK, you might want to leave it for a day or so, sometimes we reject before we can really assess. You should put the front legs of furniture all at the same depth. Try putting the vanity on the end nearest the door then the wider dresser, then the tall dresser. That might work better for you?

Cor thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

B.M. Cloud White for the entire room…walls eggshell finish; woodwork semi-gloss finish; ceiling flat finish.

Cor thanked JudyG Designs
  • Cor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes Flo, I did arrange it in that order. Having the space behind the various pieces would drive me crazy - especially since you would see it upon entering the room and looking to your right. I might play with the idea of two small chairs at the foot of the bed but I am pretty sure there will not be enough room. It's frustrating - it's a nice sized room, and my furniture is on the smaller side, but I cannot seem to make it work. But, I really do appreciate your thoughts and input. p.s. pot holders work really well for moving furniture around on hardwood floors :-)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

When you have a room with doors and windows like yours, it does make arranging furniture difficult. Most people are not using dressers anymore. Walk in closets with organizers help eliminate bigger furniture. Is your closet of a good size? You might be able to eliminate a dresser? I would put a small bench at the foot of the bed, not chairs. Chairs would be too large. Reduce the amount of furniture in the room and you will enjoy it more. Might be time to go through everything and make sure you get rid of those things you haven't used in a couple of years, donate them or pitch out! You might be amazed. Good luck. Before you do much else, go through that exercise, get the furniture in the best arrangement possible and then think about colors, walls, etc.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Cor,does the dresser fit under the window?

Arlington Redux · More Info

Could the long wall accommodate your vanity and a chair in the corner? How does the chest look between those two doors? Certainly agree with Flo that deciding how much furniture is really needed is key. Before paint,before decor.

edit to add: Since you asked about color in your first post,my inclination these days is to paint bedroom walls in smallish rooms pretty close to the drapery colour,keeping the contrast low.