SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen214

Height of counters will end above window - Need ideas for solution

Ellen
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Upcoming kitchen remodel. We have spoken with contractor and he says he will know more when we demo current cabinets and counters. But from what a neighbor experienced, I suspect what he will find. We currently have a window that is a box built out from house. We have a window that is counter height behind sink. But we have formica on counters and a thinner tile on the section that is boxed out. Neighbor who has similar said that when they put her new granite counters on, they found that the height of that box was too shallow in relation to the counter height. Not sure I'm saying that correctly, but the result was that her new granite went straight back and now her counter is above the frame of her window, which leaves a space. I really don't like the look. Our contractor said that he suspects that we will have to have a step up behind the sink and that because of the thickness of the quartz, we will be above the window frame, and probably the window itself. Our designer suggests that there MUST be a better solution and that we should not accept our counter above the window. She says maybe the wood supports in the window box can be shaved down to accept the quartz thickness (not sure that is allowed per code and whatnot). We are thinking that we may need to replace the window, altering the box as needed, so the quartz can go straight back. A contractor we spoke to previously (not the one we chose) says that is not such an easy solution, so I'm not sure about that. I just want to have some thoughts prior to meeting with contractor again. This window is not very old and I hate to replace and rework it for maybe just a couple inches, but I'm thinking that the quartz stepup and being in front of window will drive me crazy forever. Hoping someone on this forum has some thoughts.

Comments (13)