Congressman rails against undocumented immigrants his family cares for

momj47(7A)

A congressman rails against undocumented immigrants as his estranged siblings care for them

Three months had passed since Grace Gosar and five of her siblings decided they had to do something to stop their brother, a hard-line conservative and staunch defender of President Trump, from winning reelection to Congress.

Their solution back then had been startling: Film a campaign ad for their brother’s opponent.

Grace, a 54-year-old mother of three, was battling ovarian cancer. The disease had taken a steady toll on her body, so much so that when she faced the camera that day and endorsed her brother’s opponent, she worried that the remainder of her life would be measured in months rather than years.

“I couldn’t be quiet any longer, nor should any of us be,” she said in the ad, which cut to another one of her siblings and then another and another and another and another, all imploring voters to cast aside their brother.

like so many Americans whose lives had been shaken by the country’s dysfunctional politics, Grace was wrestling with what came next. What did it mean to be a good daughter, mother, sister and citizen at a moment when her health and her country seemed to be unraveling? Some version of that question was still bedeviling all her siblings.

Grace’s answer came on a frigid December day when she headed off to see patients at the Downtown Clinic, which offered free health care to anyone without insurance.

She had decided to spend what she knew could be her last months attending to the indigent and undocumented in Laramie — some of the very people targeted by Paul’s uncompromising policies and harsh rhetoric.

Her younger brother Pete, 50, served as the clinic’s executive director and needed the extra help to cover a growing patient load. Grace needed something to distract her from the country’s poisonous politics and the steady advance of her cancer.

So she spent the day seeing patients who had no place else to go.

About half of the clinic’s patients, like Nick, worked part time and were battling severe and chronic health conditions

These men would never find jobs with health benefits, Pete and Grace knew. If voters and lawmakers spent a day at the clinic, Pete was sure they would demand a more humane system.

“When I began in medicine I didn’t believe — I did not believe — health care was a right,” she said in the ad. “I couldn’t be but 180 degrees from where I started.”

A few weeks after the ad aired, Grace and her husband sold their home to pay for her care.

Her insurance company, United Healthcare, had stopped paying for the infusions of the drug Avastin that were keeping her alive. First, they told her, the Food and Drug Administration-

approved drug was “not medically necessary,” she said. Then they insisted that it was “experimental and investigational.” Now the company was saying she owed nearly $200,000 and counting.

SaveComment5Like3
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
batyabeth

"When I began in medicine I didn’t believe — I did not believe —
health care was a right............I couldn’t be but 180
degrees from where I started.”

national health care NOW. this is only one story of many completely preventable situations. Appalling and shameful. And good for them for standing up to their brother. I saw that ad, and it was powerful and courageous.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by momj47
momj47(7A)

And even with health insurance ................

A few weeks after the ad aired, Grace and her husband sold their home to pay for her care. Her insurance company, United Healthcare, had stopped paying for the infusions of the drug Avastin that were keeping her alive. First, they told her, the Food and Drug Administration-approved drug was “not medically necessary,” she said. Then they insisted that it was “experimental and investigational.” Now the company was saying she owed nearly $200,000 and counting.

Save    
jillinnj

If voters and lawmakers spent a day at the clinic, Pete was sure they would demand a more humane system.

The sad truth is I don't believe that to be the case for Trump, his family or most of his supporters.

Those people are "others" and they don't care about them. Even if they meet them personally. In fact, I think it would harden them to their stance of "I'm not paying for your healthcare". They have no soul.

---

Good for those siblings for speaking the truth. I often wonder how one sibling can be so uncaring when the rest of them are not. What happened to that one? Is it power? Money? What does that to one sibling?

3 Likes Save     Thanked by momj47
blfenton

Paul Gosar won quite handily and then said about his family afterwards (by tweet)

"...my large, somewhat dysfunctional, crazy and wonderful family." I wonder what Thanksgiving dinner was like?

2 Likes Save    
sjerin

My sister is battling ovarian cancer and Kaiser didn't bat an eye over the necessity of giving her Avastin. Shame, shame on United Healthcare.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
My Houzz Houzz TV: A New England Farmhouse Explodes With Color
Creativity and color burst from every corner in this unique 18th-century Massachusetts home for an artist and her family
Full Story
Life Get a Bird's-Eye View of America's Housing Patterns
See the big picture of how suburban developments are changing the country's landscape, with aerial photos and ideas for the future
Full Story
Homes Around the World How to Get Authentic French Style in Your Home
Move over Shabby Chic and French Provincial. These myths and realities reveal the real look of French decor
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More