SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_gilmore

Floor plan for rectangular living room w fireplace in middle?

Christie Gilmore
5 years ago

We have a center hall colonial with a rectangular living room that we aren’t sure how to set up with furniture. The previous 90 year old owner only used like twice a year to play bridge with friends. We want to make this room the most lived in space in the house. It has the best lighting with large windows, and the fireplace draws me in! But my husband and I are clueless decorators, we can’t decide how to layout the room. In two seating areas, with two area rugs, or one seating area, around the fireplace? And if only one, how do we use the space left over? If it matters, we have a dining table elsewhere. We have kids and a dog and would like it to feel relaxed and not too stuffy of a space. I would like to have my upright piano against one wall eventually, too. But really we can start from scratch. I used Magicplan app to scan the walls. We have an opening to kitchen and foyer on one wall, the walls perpendicular to the fireplace have large windows, and the final wall has a brick fireplace in the middle. (fireplace looks lopsided in my scan, whoops!) Any great ideas on how to bring this room to life and make it everyone’s favorite space??

Comments (27)