SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Roses that have improved, surprised and impressed you recently?

sara_ann-z6bok
5 years ago

Which roses that were in their first, second or even third season in 2018 are you looking most forward to seeing what they do in 2019. Or even ones you’ve had longer that have improved?

I have several that deserve mention.

The two DON JUANS new for me - While they didn’t bloom a lot, they both did good, and I love their fragrance.

DON JUAN

PINK DON JUAN

FRANCIS MEILLAND - My first FM struggled for several seasons, even though it produced some gorgeous blooms. I replaced it in 2017 and the new one seemed even worse, but in the spring of 2018 put on a growth spurt, and is a very healthy bush, and produced quite a few blooms, it’s also a very attractive bush.

I love pink Floribundas, and GENE BOERNER is one I’ve always admired. This one was new in 2018, and is own root, I’m impressed so far.

I thought AUGUSTE RENOIR performed amazingly for a newly planted rose, it set on blooms all season long on a healthy bush. It‘s on multiflora.

ZAIDE is another one that took on a growth spurt in ‘18, as several roses did. It is a very healthy bush. In person the blooms have more orange than the photographs show, but I love it either way. Another one on multiflora, and in its second season.

I planted DICK CLARK in 2014, it is own root and has struggled, but I will admit I didn‘t plant it in the best spot. I couldn’t believe how much it grew, and the foliage was just beautiful. Hope it continues to improve.

MY poor little POPE JOHN PAUL II has struggled since 2013, and while it’s still small, it did put on some new growth and bloomed more than it has in several years. And the fragrance came through better than ever.

This is TWILIGHT ZONE, the blooms don’t look typical, but the bush is looking better, and 2018 wasn’t the greatest for pretty blooms on my rose bushes IMO. I’ve had TZ since 2014, I think, just hope It keeps improving and the blooms look more like they should.

FREDERIC MISTRAL - My second attempt with this one, it’s looking good, hope it comes through.

BEROLINA - I love this rose at its best. I have two that both put on some new growth this year. Hope they keep improving!

There are others, but this is probably plenty.

Would love to know about yours.

Comments (19)