Down the rabbit hole with Trump

momj47(7A)

If you had to pick the weirdest moment of the week, would it be:

• The Coast Guard tries to buck up its unpaid civilian employees by suggesting they consider becoming dog walkers or giving music lessons.
  • In order to dramatize the dangers of life without a Mexico wall, Donald Trump goes to visit a Texas border city that just had its lowest crime rate in 34 years.
  • The president rebuts critics who say walling off a country is sort of medieval by pointing out that all cars have wheels and “a wheel is older than a wall.”
  • Multitudinous fact checkers point out that a wall is actually older than a wheel.

Even if you really, really want Donald Trump to be a total failure hurtling his way back toward civilian life, it’s not comforting to have a president who’s so out to lunch. Just think about that trip to Texas. McAllen, the city Trump chose to demonstrate the terror of wall-free borders, was recently listed by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best places to retire in the nation. But the president, who was making only his second trip to the border since he took office, assured the public he knew how terrible things are because “I have been there numerous times.”

And that was just one tiny piece of his week! The big news, of course, was our catapult toward an all-time government shutdown record.

Just for the sake of perspective, try to imagine how the nation would have responded if Trump’s week had happened under Barack Obama. Obviously Obama didn’t have a yen for border walls. But he was a big proponent of gun regulation — suppose, just for the sake of comparison, he told Congress he wanted billions of dollars to confiscate all the automatic weapons in the country.

Then imagine the opposing party dug in its heels, and Obama announced he was going to veto any spending package that didn’t include his plan. The government shuts down. Then Obama makes a special address to the nation from the Oval Office. “My fellow Americans: Tonight I am speaking to you because there is a growing crisis over guns,” he begins.

When a reporter asked whether he accepted the old Harry Truman line about how “the buck stops here,” our president responded that “the buck stops with everyone.” He won’t even admit where the buck stops! Do you think that’s because he’s just incapable of accepting responsibility or because he doesn’t know who Harry Truman was?

KFOX14 examines Texas AG's statement of El Paso crime rate decreasing due to wall

SaveComment9Like4
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxanna7

Personally, the weirdest of the week for me was the Coast Guard's list of 'helpful' ideas -- when I saw that, my jaw literally dropped (and, yes, I do know what 'literally' means). Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Beyond comprehension.

But the other things mentioned are right up there in my expectations of Trump and his three working brain cells.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by momj47
llucy

Do you think that’s because he’s just incapable of accepting responsibility or because he doesn’t know who Harry Truman was?

Definitely the first, but given his ignorance of history...quite possibly both.

2 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

And there goes Margie, down the rabbit hole with her Mr. Trump

Well done

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

It is miraculous that Trump has staunch fans still.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by momj47
catticusmockingbird

Those still hanging on are clearly incapable of independent thought.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by momj47
dandyfopp

I don't think it is miraculous.

Cults are not new, people who are susceptible have always been with us.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by momj47
momj47(7A)

oh no, Margie deleted her picture

Bye bye

1 Like Save    
momj47(7A)

It is miraculous that Trump has staunch fans still.

I suspect most of them have invested so much over the last ~4 years to support Mr. Trump, they've reached the point of no return

1 Like Save    
momj47(7A)

margie did not delete her picture.

Well, then, I'm glad I reposted it for you

You can thank me later

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kids’ Spaces Space We Love: Down the Rabbit Hole
We're dying to crawl through this secret Alice-in-Wonderland tunnel, aren't you?
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Style Trumps Ease in a San Francisco Loft
What’s a little ladder climbing when you’ve got a gorgeous-looking kitchen design like this?
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: Peter Rabbit-Inspired Nursery for Twins
A designer uses wall art, wallpaper and accessories to create a storybook nursery for 2 boys and their parents
Full Story