It’s not just the Dems who KNOW he’s compromised.

lukkiirish
SaveComment39Like5
Comments (39)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momj47(7A)

F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.

The investigation the F.B.I. opened into Mr. Trump also had a criminal aspect, which has long been publicly known: whether his firing of Mr. Comey constituted obstruction of justice.

Agents and senior F.B.I. officials had grown suspicious of Mr. Trump’s ties to Russia during the 2016 campaign but held off on opening an investigation into him, the people said, in part because they were uncertain how to proceed with an inquiry of such sensitivity and magnitude. But the president’s activities before and after Mr. Comey’s firing in May 2017, particularly two instances in which Mr. Trump tied the Comey dismissal to the Russia investigation, helped prompt the counterintelligence aspect of the inquiry, the people said.

If the president had fired Mr. Comey to stop the Russia investigation, the action would have been a national security issue because it naturally would have hurt the bureau’s effort to learn how Moscow interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Americans were involved, according to James A. Baker, who served as F.B.I. general counsel until late 2017. He privately testified in October before House investigators who were examining the F.B.I.’s handling of the full Russia inquiry.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by lukkiirish
jerzeegirl(9b)

Add to that all the Ukranians who were at the inaugural - at least 12 of them. I can understand why the FBI was alarmed.

9 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I didn't make the connection that the obstruction of justice was itself seen as a national security concern due to hurting the FBI effort to investigate the russian interference in the election....

2 Likes Save    
catticusmockingbird

Hasn't this been obvious ever since the day after he fired Comey? That day in the Oval Office with the Russians?

10 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn

Don't forget he shared highly classified info with Russians May 2017. God only knows what else he has disclosed.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/may/16/reports-say-trump-shared-highly-classified-intel-r/

Our allies know Trumpy isn't to be trusted.

4 Likes Save    
Chi

This is a big deal. A counter-intelligence investigation is a big deal. We've never had a president where there was even a question regarding their loyalty to the country, and Trump is being investigated to whether or not he's a traitor. The FBI was suspicious that the president of the United States was taking orders from Putin. And what they found was credible enough that they passed it on to Mueller.

These FBI officials aren't being partisan - this is their career and they don't just throw around accusations. This happened BEFORE the special counsel was formed.

I'm still convinced this shut down has nothing to do with the wall. He's trying to stall investigations by shutting down the courts and intelligence agencies while giving his brand new army of lawyers a chance to find a way to save him.

It's just a giant distraction to get everyone riled up about a dumb wall and stop paying attention to what's happening with this investigation.

21 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn

And his family would know he is compromised. Shame on all of his enablers for continuing to support him in any way. There is going to be a reckoning and the GOP will be left shattered.

14 Likes Save    
jn3344

Have we ever had an actual traitor in the White House before? Holy cow.

7 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

And while there are many vacancies in the administration and the govt is shut down, trump has hired 17 lawyers in the last couple of weeks. He's certainly filling that part of the administration.

I think one of the reasons why he's got so much trouble hiring anyone is because people can't afford the legal fees... as soon as they step into the administration, they need one.

19 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

4 Likes Save    
maddie260

An atomic bomb has detonated and, still, some refuse to remove the blinders.

6 Likes Save    
hericles

tRump is compromised and that should be a concern for all Americans.

the proposed removal of sanctions on Deripaska , withdrawing troops from Syria..

tRump is kissing Russian ass

7 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

15 Likes Save    
hericles

tRump's plane and Dmitry Rybolovlev’s plane being a stone's throw from one another in Vegas then in Charlotte just days before the election now seems even more money-laundering curious.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article136939868.html

What did Eric tRump say again?

""Well, we don’t rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia.'" Writer James Dodson, on Eric Trump explaining to him where funds for golf courses came from post-recession

And Cohen's testimony may have some interesting twists and turns about tRump's business with Russia over the years.

We are coming to get you out of the Whitehouse mr tRump. Pack your bags and get out of our house.

10 Likes Save    
Linda

And the corrupt greedy orange POS better get his filthy paws off our country! We need to take it back!

2 Likes Save    
subtropix

The Russian bots here merely defending their Manchurian candidate from their pathetic basements.

What is the current penalty for treason?

1 Like Save    
Maddie AtHome

The truth will come out. It always does -- and no amount of falsehoods and outright lies will prevent it.

3 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

Probably because Obama had the FBI and the MSM all in his pocket. Oh, and others.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

What's especially telling is *all* of the evidence that's come to light in the past 2+ years is in the same direction...that trump is compromised by the russians. There has been *nothing* coming to light that supports the case that he isn't.

In this most recent revelation, it has nothing to do with the dossier, nothing to do with lying to Congress, nothing to do with campaign financing or paying hush money...it's *all* based on trump's own actions: the letter he wanted to send re comey's firing, firing comey himself, and his own words that he did it to stop the russia investigation.

That's obstruction of justice.

8 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Then he had the russian spies into the oval office the very next day, saying the pressure should be off and giving them code-level intel...and the *only* way we knew about it was via russia tv. There was no public notice of the meeting and the US press was completely shut out. In fact, since taking office, whenever there is a US/russia interaction, trump lets the kremlin take the publicity lead...the US press or any WH press releases come after.

5 Likes Save    
GOD

The Times Article must have hit a nerve

Trump 1m1 minute ago
I have been FAR tougher on Russia than Obama, Bush or Clinton. Maybe tougher than any other President. At the same time, & as I have often said, getting along with Russia is a good thing, not a bad thing. I fully expect that someday we will have good relations with Russia again!

1 Like Save    
d_gw

Do you think Trump was/is being used as stupid pawn because he has no morals and no common sense? Or is he a calculating criminal?

3 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

I'll take Door #1, Johnny. No morals and no common sense. Plus just plain greedy.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I think, like so many ego-driven dimwits, he thought he was so smart, he could handle the russians when in fact he got sucked in for the money and then, before he knew it, they owned him.

Just like any wiseguy...they both act tough and think they're smart, but inside they're scared $&!^less as they know they are owned and live in a world of threats and paranoia.

Watch the Godfather again...same thing only on an international scale.

8 Likes Save    
GOD

I tend to think his values are whatever helps to be rich and powerful is good.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

It also explains why McConnell is silently refusing to let any of the House bills to re-open the government be voted on. They don't want it re-opened yet and are counting on the Dems to hold firm on the wall.

I think Mitch is a lot of things but he's not stupid. He knows the GOP is taking a beating for the shut down in the court of public opinion, especially among the independents that they need. He must have an even bigger reason for keeping this shut down going.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Cult45 knows he was compromised too.
They just hate libruls more than they love murica.

5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

He must have an even bigger reason for keeping this shut down going.

Yeah...trump wants it and has the goods on mcconnell...most likely russian financing of his campaign via the NRA...

3 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn

I wonder. How did Trump decide to pick Pence as his running mate. I googled and found that it was Manafort that had a huge influence on that pick. We know Manafort is compromised. Is Pence too in some way. We know his wife doesn't trust him. Is this why Pence just nods at everything Trump says?

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-pence-was-handpicked-paul-manafort-696412

1 Like Save    
llucy

It does make one wonder when Pence goes out and repeats Trump's lies.

4 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

Probably because Obama had the FBI and the MSM all in his pocket. Oh, and others.

So the right wing accepts that their Mr. Trump may be a traitor, as long as he continue his racist, xenophobic, misogynist, anti-American policies and rants.

Very interesting, Margie. You have illustrated this well.

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

This piece says it best and most succinctly.

Donnie fans are immune to truth.

--

Robert O. Paxton, in his classic work The Anatomy of Fascism, defines a cult of leadership as one in which the followers believe the leader’s instincts are better than the logic used by elites. The followers are willing to give up their individuality and freedom in exchange for the leader’s “protection.” And what is Trump protecting his followers from? Scholars Karen Stenner and Jonathan Haidt offer an explanation. In their essay “Authoritarianism Is Not a Momentary Madness but an Eternal Dynamic Within Liberal Democracies,” Stenner and Haidt describe the psychology behind the fervor of the embrace of authoritarians. A certain percentage of the population has “bias against different others” including racial and other minority out-groups. The authoritarian leader stokes their fears, creating a normative threat. These people then turn to the leader as something of a savior. The leader embraces the mythic destiny of the nation. He doesn’t follow laws. He is the law.

When Sarah Huckabee Sanders defended Trump’s lies by arguing that his false statements actually point to something true, she offered an explanation for why Trump supporters embrace transparent lies. “President Obama was born in Africa,” for example, is a provable lie, but it points toward what to Trump’s supporters see as a deeper truth: President Obama is black, and therefore, isn’t really a real American.

Sanders’ argument is psychologically sound. Scholars Oliver Hahl, Minjae Kim, and Ezra W. Zickerman Sivan, in “The Authentic Appeal of the Lying Demagogue,” explain that those who want to destroy the “political establishment” willingly embrace a liar because they understand that the lies themselves serve a destructive purpose. The people who want to destroy the political establishment today are those who are threatened by growing diversity. Trump’s lies work toward that end.

In a totalitarian regime, state-controlled media normalizes the leader’s constantly changing stories, which serves to further obliterate any notion of a shared truth. Trump’s favorite news outlets similarly normalize his changing stories, thereby undermining factuality. When people can no longer sort out what is factual and what was invented, they conclude that the truth is unknowable. It’s the ultimate in relativism and skepticism. Without facts and a shared reality, jury verdicts have no meaning, and the results of law enforcement investigations are easily manipulated or even dismissed.

Look at what happened when Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination for the Supreme Court was nearly derailed by credible accusations of sexual assault. While the confirmation was in doubt, Trump protested that Kavanaugh was “innocent until proven guilty.” He then ordered an extremely limited investigation of the charges that interviewed a small number of witnesses and didn’t even speak with the accuser or the alleged culprit. Ultimately, he falsely declared that Kavanaugh had been “proven innocent” by the whole charade. This false fact—Kavanaugh was exonerated—now becomes reality to all of his followers.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/10/trump-lies-kavanaugh-khashoggi.html

7 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

The pic on the left (along with the video) tells the story of that meeting. putin is all smiles and almost doing a cartwheel to reach the podium while trump looks like he just sold his favorite daughter to him. The demos should subpoena trump's translator, no one knows what trump did during that meeting except for her, putin, and putin's translator.

4 Likes Save    
leona_2008

I am not feeling the shock and awe over this. In this upside down world where people have been pretending that trump was even remotely fit for office and that he isn't corrupt, it is reassuring to know that the FBI was actually doing what they should have been doing. The Republican Party is responsible for trump, for allowing him to run, for not stepping up and declaring him unfit at every step of the way. May the party suffer the consequences and be known as the party of corruption. They were corrupt before trump and felt the rules were for Democrats but not them. So while they were shocked that he won, they quickly decided they would just take advantage of the situation. All they had to do was go along with the charade. Except that along the way they unwittingly became the party of trump. As much as I want to see trump in prison, it would better serve the country for the Republican Party to have its day of reckoning -- their corruption and hypocrisy laid bare -- and held accountable. Karma, if you're listening, I hope you find it necessary that both should happen and tilt the world rightside up again.

8 Likes Save    
chase_gw

I don't think there was ever anything any modern US President has done on the world stage that was as humiliating and embarrassing , to himself and the United States, as that debacle in Helsinki. Truly pathetic on so many levels.

If they didn't see it then, they will never see it.

7 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

it is reassuring to know that the FBI was actually doing what they should have been doing.

I don't give the FBI a pass. They knew how corrupt and attached to the Russians this man was from the get-go and yet they chose to concentrate on HC's emails. It's great that they are now doing their jobs by playing catch up, However let's not forget that the FBI help skew the election and I personally will not forgive them. Let's keep in mind that the FBI is part of the reason we are in this pickle.

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Christmas for Putin all day every day for two years running.

All this plus the the undermining of our free press, our elections, the institutions that exist to protect and defend us, our economy, pitting citizen against citizen.

Every strength we take for granted as Americans- destroying those things are on Donnie's to do list. If it thrills you go sit by Pootie, you are a traitor to your country.

4 Likes Save    
GOD

Comey is a self indulgent arse

1 Like Save    
momj47(7A)

The right wing accepts nothing,

Well, except for making donations to a well known grifter, among all the other things the right wing accepts

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home Decorate With Intention: The Art of Compromise
You're modern, he's traditional? Someone's collection has gotta go? These 10 steps can help keep the peace when decorating tastes clash
Full Story
Most Popular Houzz Tour: Modern 'Pods' Offer a Log Cabin Compromise
Two generations enjoy togetherness and privacy too, in this cleverly designed lakefront vacation home in Idaho
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: A Happy Compromise Between Clean and Cluttered
A self-described minimalist and a ‘maximalist’ take on a renovation together and find harmony and balance
Full Story