CNN and KUSI in San Diego!

Ann

Oh CNN. First, the Jim Acosta debacle yesterday and now this. If you are interested in the article/thread, don't miss watching the video of the two women embedded in the article - it's short.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/424876-san-diego-tv-station-cnn-declined-our-local-view-because-of-reports-on-wall

SaveComment58Like
Comments (58)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jlhug

Where did all the comments go?

Save    
Becca Reese

I started another thread on this earlier, Ann.

When CNN's Acosta made a horse's patootie out of himself and proved Trump's point, they had to dig for evidence to support their narrative. The KUSI reporter wasn't cutting it, so they dropped him like a hot potato.

The women reporting have CNN's number.

1 Like Save    
llucy

So Ann,

did you apply to get a refund from Kolfage's bogus GoFundMe scam?

Save    
chase_gw

Anyone catch the interview with Sheriff Keith Hughes of Texas , an avid and passionate Trump supporter and 1st line on the border ? Says Trump's wall is not the answer......he is much more aligned wth the Dems position.

Maybe time for Trump to listen to the border States instead of Kansas and Iowa ?

3 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

Wow, CNN found a Sheriff who doesn't think the wall should be a priority right now.

Congrats!

Here are almost 400 that do...

The National Sheriffs’ Association wrote a letter to Congress urging their support for construction of the border wall. The letter says, “Without border security and immigration reform, more Americans will continue to be victims of crime. Now is the time to act!”

380 sheriffs from 40 different states signed the letter publicly expressing their support for President Trump’s campaign promise to build a border wall. San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore was not one of the 380 sheriff’s who signed the letter. Sheriff Gore has not made any comments regarding this letter or potential support or opposition to building a wall along our southern border.

The full letter reads:

https://www.kusi.com/sheriffs-around-country-tell-congress-border-wall-must-built/

6 Likes Save    
chase_gw

They didn't find him. He has been very vocal on this issue for at least two years and he is a huge Trump supporter. Check him out before you trash him.

Forty different States...and how many of them are in the border ?

2 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

I never trashed him, chase. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I respect his opinion, but he's VASTLY outnumbered.

But I'm sure CNN will give him a megaphone to drown out the hundreds of sheriffs who disagree wholeheartedly.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

No he is not.......not by those who have first hand experience.. Do your homework

Save    
elvis

Chase wrote: Forty different States...and how many of them are in the border ?

This many:

Apache County, AZ- Sheriff Joe Dedman
Cochise County, AZ- Sheriff Mark J. Dannels
La Paz County, AZ- Sheriff Bill Risen
Mohave County, AZ- Sheriff Doug Shuster
Pinal County, AZ- Sheriff Mark Lamb
Yuma County, AZ- Sheriff Leon Wilmot
Greenlee County, AZ – Sheriff Tim Sumner

Pima County, AZ – Sheriff Mark Napier
Kern County, CA- Sheriff Donny Youngblood
Modoc County, CA- Sheriff Mike Poindexter
Nevada County, CA- Sheriff Keith Royal
Siskiyou County, CA- Sheriff John E. Lopey

Anderson County, TX- Sheriff Greg Taylor
Borden County, TX- Sheriff Benny Ray Allison
Brazos County, TX – Sheriff Chris Kirk
Calhoun County, TX- Sheriff Bobbie BJ Vickery
Cochran County, TX- Sheriff Jorge De La Cruz
Collin County, TX- Sheriff Jim Skinner
Denton County, TX- Sheriff Tracy Murphree
Garza County, TX- Sheriff Terry Morgan
Hill County, TX- Sheriff Rodney Watson
Hood County, TX- Sheriff Roger Deeds
Jack County, TX- Sheriff Tom Spurlock
Jackson County, TX- Sheriff A.J. Louderback
Johnson County, TX- Sheriff Adam King

Lamb County, TX- Sheriff Gary Maddox
Lampasas County, TX- Sheriff Jesus G. Ramos
Lavaca County, TX- Sheriff Micah C. Harmon
Montague County, TX- Sheriff Marshall W. Thomas
Nolan County, TX- Sheriff David Warren
Parker County, TX- Sheriff Larry Folwer
Parmer County, TX- Sheriff Randy S. Geries
Randall County, TX- Sheriff Joel W. Richardson
Robertson County, TX- Sheriff Gerald Yezak
Rockwall County, TX – Sheriff Harold Eavenson
San Jacinto County, TX- Sheriff Greg Capers
San Patricio County, TX- Sheriff Charles Leroy Moody

Shackelford County, TX- Sheriff Edward A. Miller
Wheeler County, TX- Sheriff Wes Crites
Wise County, TX- Sheriff N. Lane Akin
Ochiltree County, TX – Terry L. Bouchard

3 Likes Save    
Chi

So 3 states.

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Yup and 37 aren't

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Jlhug, I've been gone all day so if there were other comments, I missed them.

Becca, sorry, I must have missed your earlier thread. I'll go look for it now. I'm guessing it's too late for me to delete this one now since I started it yesterday.

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Here is the interview with Texas sheriff Keith Hughes, on the border, who says he wants money for technology, Ann. He doesn't want a wall, even in the flat areas.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/01/12/texas-sheriff-border-wall-tuchman-pkg-nr-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

Save    
Becca Reese

No problem, Ann! Glad I got to post the almost 400 names of officers who support the wall.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Ann
Becca Reese

Ann, I have to wonder if the resistance is so ignorant as to exactly what Trump's $5 billion ask if for. They seem to believe it's just for a physical wall.

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Well, perhaps if Trump would publish what it is for in a clear manner then we'd all know. I haven't seen him pushing that to the American public. Do you have a link to it?

1 Like Save    
Ann

Yeah, when it comes to officers that work the border, my guess would be that over 90% want and are, in fact, asking for additional physical barriers.

Save    
Chi

Ann, I have to wonder if the resistance is so ignorant as to exactly what Trump's $5 billion ask if for. They seem to believe it's just for a physical wall.

Becca, so where is the plan that Trump has submitted that outlines his plan for what he wants to do with the budget? What will be built, who will build it, what the timeline is, what the projection is for the number of undocumented immigrants prevented from crossing, the projection for how much we will save each year, what sort of staffing or technological upgrades he has planned?

Why didn't he submit anything? We're just supposed to believe he has all these wonderful plans and we should just give him a big check with zero accountability? I bet if he had done a thorough analysis with some non-biased facts, he would have had a much easier time getting his funding. That is, if the facts actually supported what he wanted. Maybe that's why he hasn't submitted anything.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

" my guess would be that over 90% want and are, in fact, asking for additional physical barriers "

But will you listen to those who think it's not the way? Every part of the landscape is unique. You get that, right? Not a one size fits all answer.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

Yeah, when it comes to officers that work the border, my guess would be that over 90% want and are, in fact, asking for additional physical barriers.

I made a new thread about the border patrol union website saying walls are just a temporary fix, a waste of money and only necessary until the real problem is addressed.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Chi, did the government get all their money back when Obamacare didn't even come close to reaching all those predictions? You are asking how many undocumented immigrants will be prevented from crossing the border? I'll just bet border officials could pull a number out of their hat that would come closer than the "detailed" Obamacare estimate did. While you're busy with this latest stall tactic, please provide the number of immigrants that will be stopped with Nancy's "technological wall" or even a description of what the heck her "technological" wall is and how it will stop even one illegal from crossing.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

I believe they are in denial. There was resistance on another thread as to what the president wants border security money for, i.e., judges, other personnel, anti-terrorist stuff, humanitarian aid, etc. They don't know quite what to do when they agree with this president.

What to do what to do...

Chi

So 3 states.

Yes, 3 out of 4. New Mexico mostly fenced already, I think.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Technology is what Drug cartels use. We need to match them on their level.

Save    
elvis

Chi wrote: Why didn't he submit anything? We're just supposed to believe he has all these wonderful plans and we should just give him a big check with zero accountability?

Here you go, Chi:

The administration's negotiating team, led by Vice President Mike Pence, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and White House senior adviser Jared Kushner, have provided Democrats with an outline of their demands for a deal to end the partial shutdown.

In addition to President Trump's unwavering $5.7 billion request for border barrier funds, the White House is demanding $563 million for 75 additional immigration judges and support staff, $211 million to hire 750 additional Border Patrol officers, $571 million to deploy 2,000 law enforcement personnel, $4.2 billion for 52,000 detention beds, $675 million for inspection technology at ports of entry and $800 million for "humanitarian needs," which include funds for medical support, transportation, supplies and temporary facilities along the southwestern border.

Democrats want to secure the border? Great. Come to the table. We are ready to negotiate. We are willing to come to a deal to reopen the government," White House communications director of strategic communications Mercedes Schlapp told reporters Monday after confirming the administration's latest demands. "Stop the delay tactics."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-house-asks-for-billions-of-dollars-to-fund-border-operations/

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

Reading comprehension problems perhaps??? Nothing in the letter states that they want a wall. They want to improve security and fix what is there. "support the replacement and upgrades to current barriers and fencing and
construction of barriers along the U.S. and Mexico international boundary as requested by those
areas where it is needed, "

Save    
Chi

Thanks Elvis for the budget outline. Were there any projections on how many illegal crossings these measures would save, and how much tax money we'd save? How much money would the entire wall be, and how much annually for maintenance? How about which contractors would build the wall? How about any studies on the effectiveness of walls? Anything like that?

1 Like Save    
Chi

While you're busy with this latest stall tactic, please provide the number of immigrants that will be stopped with Nancy's "technological wall" or even a description of what the heck her "technological" wall is and how it will stop even one illegal from crossing.

Busy with the latest stall tactic? I'm not a member of Congress or the President. And I'm not going to provide Pelosi's documentation. That's not my job, nor do I expect you to submit Trump's plan. They both should submit their own, just like anyone else who wants federal money.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Chi, I don't believe that it's possible to accurately predicts any of those outcomes.

What we do know is the cost of providing medical care, which I've posted before. Someone no doubt has the data on cost of education, law enforcement and associated legal costs, and probably more.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"Your guess is worth squat."

Possibly, but usually closer to accurate than any of your guesses and possibly even more accurate than your typical declarative statements:) Maybe we should track them to find out.

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

IYO.........which is all you got . That is one very silly declarative statement

1 Like Save    
Kathy

From 2007-2016 illegal immigrants have gone down in every state except La. It is lowest in many years right now.

Save    
Becca Reese

Kathy, do you think the demographic shift has made a difference?

2 Likes Save    
elvis

@ Kathy: So what? It's still awful.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Do you realize how many immigrant workers contribute to SS and Medicare? Pay taxes, buy food, rent and other products. They help make the economy successful. We are a consumer society. If we stop selling products the whole thing collapses. Closing off America will smother our economy.

1 Like Save    
cait1

Chi, back in 2010 illegal aliens cost the US $100Billion a year.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/illegal-immigrants-cost-us-100-billion-year-group/story?id=10699317

I think it's fair to say you can at least double that figure now.

Makes the $5billion look like peanuts. dems are so stupid for causing all this trouble over peanuts.

If criminals, which the illegal aliens are, weren't given the red carpet treatment by mostly dems - 'free' medical, 'free' schooling, 'free' food, representation in Congress, etc - the problem would go away. Time to cut their funding.

2 Likes Save    
cait1

Do you realize how many immigrant workers...

Are the legal or illegal? Many illegals get paid in cash or off the books.

3 Likes Save    
MissMyGardens

As his border wall fight with Democrats continues, President Donald
Trump finds himself in the awkward position of having to explain what
happened to the idea that Mexico would pay all the costs.

Trump tried to dance out of the apparent contradiction on the White
House lawn Jan. 10, the 20th day of a partial government shutdown.

"When during the campaign I would say ‘Mexico is going to pay for
it,’ obviously, I never said this, and I never meant they're going to
write out a check," Trump told reporters. "I said they're going to pay
for it. They are."

Later on the same day while visiting the border in Texas, Trump
offered the same logic: "When I say Mexico is going to pay for the wall,
that's what I said. Mexico is going to pay. I didn't say they're going
to write me a check for $20 billion or $10 billion."

We’ve seen the president try to say he never said something that he very much said before, so we wondered about this case.

Spoiler: Trump has it wrong.

We found several instances over the last few years, and in campaign materials contradicting the president’s statement.

In an April 2016 memo, Trump’s campaign outlined the steps he could take to get Mexico to pay for the wall.

"It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10
billion
to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country
year after year," the memo said.

Trump proposed measures to compel Mexico to pay for the wall, such as
cutting off remittances sent from undocumented Mexicans in the U.S. via
wire transfers.

Then, the memo says, if and when the Mexican government protested,
they would be told to pay a lump sum "to the United States to pay for
the wall,
the Trump Administration will not promulgate the final rule,
and the regulation will not go into effect." The plan lists a few other
methods if that didn’t work, like the trade deficit, canceling Mexican
visas or increasing visa fees. (Experts have told us there isn’t a connection between the U.S.-Mexico trade deficit and finding money for a wall.)

Trump has amended his "Mexico will pay" pledge many times, though
this is the first day we’ve heard him deny that he once called for a
large check.

The earliest mention we could find of him pitching a Mexico-funded
wall came during a visit to New Hampshire in April 2015
(hat-tip Washington Post).
He said he would "take it out" of the trade deficit: "I will take it
from out of just a small fraction of the money they’ve been screwing us
for over the last number of years."

Then he outlined the lump-sum-in-exchange-for-allowing-remittances
idea. As president, he has also thrown out "reimbursement/other," the
trade deficit and a "solar wall" that would cut down on Mexico’s bill.

More recently, including during his border trip, Trump says the
United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USCMA) trade deal will result in
Mexico "indirectly" paying for the wall. That argument is also faulty:
The deal has not been ratified by each country’s legislature, it lacks
new tariffs on Mexican goods coming into the country, and the benefits
would go to private businesses.

We’ve compiled a number of his mentions here:

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me,
believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively, I will build a
great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for
that wall. Mark my words." - Trump presidential announcement speech, June 16, 2015

"And, you know, we're building a wall. And it's going to be a great wall. OK? And, by the way, Mexico will pay for it." - CBS Face the Nation, Aug. 23, 2015

"They said, ‘The president of Mexico said they will not, under any
circumstance, pay for the wall, what is your comment?’ I said, ‘the wall
just got 10 feet higher.’"
- Tampa rally, Feb. 12, 2016

"We have a trade deficit with Mexico, that’s why Mexico is going to
pay for the wall .. It’s 100 percent
… We have a trade deficit with
Mexico of $58 billion a year, the wall is going to cost $10 billion.
You’re telling me I can’t make that deal? That’s an easy deal."- Trump press conference, March 8, 2016

"We’re going to build a wall, we’re going to build a wall. And
Mexico, as sure as you’re standing here, Mexico is going to pay for the
wall."
- Trump rally in Kansas City, MO, March 12, 2016

"Mexico will pay for the wall!" - Trump tweet, Sept. 1, 2016

"I want to get the wall started. I don’t want to wait a year and a
half until I make my deal with Mexico … so in order to get the wall
started, Mexico will pay for it, but it’ll be reimbursed."
- Trump press conference, Jan. 11, 2017

"Ultimately, it'll come out of what's happening with Mexico. We're
going to be starting those negotiations relatively soon. And we will be
in a form reimbursed by Mexico, which I've always said." - ABC News interview with David Muir, Jan. 25, 2017

"Well, we're working on a tax reform bill that will reduce our trade
deficits, increase American exports and will generate revenue from
Mexico that will pay for the wall
if we decide to go that route." - Republican retreat in Philadelphia, Jan. 26, 2017

"Eventually, but at a later date so we can get started early, Mexico
will be paying
, in some form, for the badly needed border wall." - Trump tweet, April 23, 2017

"We're talking about the southern border, lots of sun, lots of heat.
We're thinking about building the wall as a solar wall so it creates
energy and pays for itself. And this way, Mexico will have to pay much
less money." - Trump rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, June 21, 2017

"With Mexico being one of the highest crime Nations in the world, we
must have THE WALL. Mexico will pay for it through reimbursement/other."
- Trump tweet, Aug. 27, 2017

"One way or the other, Mexico is going to pay for the wall. That’s
right. It may be through reimbursement, but one way or the other, Mexico
will pay for the wall." - Joint press conference with Finland President Sauli Niinistö, August 28, 2017

"I don't want to cause a problem. I don't want to cause it. But, in
the end -- in the end, Mexico is going to pay for the wall." Trump rally in Nashville, TN, May 29, 2018

"I often stated, ‘One way or the other, Mexico is going to pay for
the Wall.’
This has never changed. Our new deal with Mexico (and
Canada), the USMCA, is so much better than the old, very costly &
anti-USA NAFTA deal, that just by the money we save, MEXICO IS PAYING
FOR THE WALL!" - Trump tweet, Dec. 13, 2018

Our rulingTrump said, "When I say Mexico is going to pay for the wall, that's
what I said. Mexico is going to pay. I didn't say they're going to write
me a check for $20 billion or $10 billion."

Trump’s campaign called a one-time payment of $5 billion-$10 billion
"an easy decision for Mexico."
The country’s other option would be to
lose billions more in impounded remittances from immigrants working in
the United States and increased fees on U.S. temporary visas and border
crossing cards.

Trump as president has thrown out a number of other ways for Mexico
to pay for the wall. Now he says it will be "indirect" through the trade
deal (though that’s unsupported).

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Cait. And so do many Americans. Why aren’t we cracking down on these employers who don’t collect SS & Medicare?

Why aren’t we expanding the Ag worker visas so farmers can hire workers legally instead of hiring illegal workers? We are forcing them to come here and work illegally instead of fixing the system.

1 Like Save    
cait1

We are forcing them to come here...

No, dems are luring them here to bolster their voter base and crash the welfare system.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Ann
elvis

Kathy wrote: Closing off America will smother our economy.

???Who wants to "close off America"? I do know that you mean "the USA" when you write that.

We're talking about staunching the outrageous, untenable flow of unauthorized persons into the USA. It has to be done, it's overdue. Be practical.

ETA: We are forcing them to come here and work illegally instead of fixing the system.

??? "Forcing them"? Um, no. Just no.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The California county sheriffs endorsing the border wall -- Kern, Modoc, Siskiyou, Nevada -- are located nowhere near the Mexican border. Kern County is the setting of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath in the Central Valley; Modoc and Siskiyou border Oregon, and Nevada borders the State of Nevada.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"If criminals, which the illegal aliens are, weren't given the red carpet treatment by mostly dems - 'free' medical, 'free' schooling, 'free' food, representation in Congress, etc - the problem would go away. Time to cut their funding."

Ron Paul was interviewed tonight. This is what he said. He's not nearly as concerned about the border as he is about removing all incentives for people to cross the border. He thinks if they receive no education, health care, etc., they'll quit coming.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

So open the federal offices and then get to the negotiation table.

Easy peasy. Stop holding federal workers as hostages.

And, do know negotiations are needed. (Ultimatums are small parts of negotiations.)

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Ziemia, I think that's likely and, if Dems then still refuse to fund any physical barriers, a national emergency is likely to be declared. I think it's the only option left should the Dems not move their line. Works for me and huge respect for the president from me.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

If they weren’t hired by Trump and other businesses. They would go home. Of course we do have the illegal overstays working as engineers and techies .

Reps are so worried about what a few people get free but they ran the country in debt with tax cuts for Corps that were already doing well. Maybe they need to look at the Corp welfare that is robbing Americans of education and healthcare.

Save    
elvis

How many people? 800.000?

A drop in the bucket of humanity when compared to the amount of unauthorized migrants crossing into the USA.

Save    
cait1

Ron Paul was interviewed tonight. This is what he said.

I supported RP's 2012 presidential bid, read a lot of what he wrote, and his common sense solutions to many of America's ailment have stuck with me.

Did you know Ron Paul proposed an amendment to the Constitution to end the anchor baby fiasco?

H.J.RES.46 (110th)
Title: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to deny United States citizenship to individuals born in the United States to parents who are neither United States citizens nor persons who owe permanent allegiance to the United States.
Sponsor: Rep Paul, Ron [TX-14]

I'll have to add that to my list of how to stop illegal aliens - deny anchor babies. Actually, the 14thA doesn't allow for anchor babies, it's just that the courts lean so far left they let illegals get away with it.

I will never forgive the GOP for cheating him at the convention in favour of that Romney hack. I swear the GOP handed BO a second term.

1 Like Save    
Becca Reese

I'll have to add that to my list of how to stop illegal aliens - deny
anchor babies. Actually, the 14thA doesn't allow for anchor babies, it's
just that the courts lean so far left they let illegals get away with
it.

cait, I'll add birther tourism to that.

1 Like Save    
hericles

What we do know is the cost of providing medical care, which I've posted
before. Someone no doubt has the data on cost of education, law
enforcement and associated legal costs, and probably more.

How much of your medical care and your families is subsidized by taxpayers?

I would rather pay to give someone else a chance.

Save    
elvis

Zero.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Current Trump camp take on the needed negotiations:

"... and, if Dems then still refuse to fund any physical barriers..."

Does anyone have a link to a document showing what Trump means today by "physical barrier"?(He has changed his description of it countless times - saw someone somewhere saying it's now about 500 miles yet unclear if this is for totally new stretches OR includes replacing the sections of fencing needing replacing.)

Save    
jillinnj

"When during the campaign I would say ‘Mexico is going to pay for
it,’ obviously, I never said this, and I never meant they're going to
write out a check," Trump told reporters. "I said they're going to pay
for it. They are."

Huh? The words of a mentally challenged person.

Save    
Ann

A "Zero" answer from me also.

1 Like Save    
purrmich_7_

How many people? 800.000?

A drop in the bucket of humanity when compared to the amount of unauthorized migrants crossing into the USA.

So, elvis is okay with close to a million not receiving paychecks. Seems like you shouldn't speak for other people. But, go ahead, send in your paycheck if you think it offsets immigrants.

And you're both wrong. It' a lot more than 'zero'

Save    
elvis

pm wrote: Seems like you shouldn't speak for other people...

And you're both wrong. It' a lot more than 'zero'

Seems like you shouldn't speak for other people.

Save    
purrmich_7_

Well, that ^^^^ makes sense. Not.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

How can the answer to this question be 'zero'?

"How much of your medical care and your families is subsidized by taxpayers?"

########

Here's a 1993 paper describing federal grants to medical colleges (just one example)

(I struggled to find the exact link...)

https://www.aacom.org

Got it - working link to pdf
https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.83.3.322

Save    
purrmich_7_

Because they're special, ziema. Entitled. Everything in their life is what they earned Unlike the normal person who sees the reality around themselves and knows that they didn't do it all themselves.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Mediterranean Style 10 Favorite Features of Spanish Revival Style
How to Get the Warm, Rustic Feel of Spanish-Style Interiors
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Cheerful, Eclectic Modern Beach House
Lively patterns, vivid colors and a spot for band practice jazz up a spacious beachfront home
Full Story