Dem congressperson to require breathalizers on all vehicles

Fárbauti

"Blow before you go" is the motto of the new Democrat majority House. Quite a diverse group of nuts.

Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.) is planning to introduce a bill next week that would require all new vehicles sold in the U.S. to come equipped with an interlocking breathalyzer device.

The breathalyzer device would force drivers to test their blood-alcohol content (BAC) levels before being able to start the car.

The devices are typically attached to a car's ignition, requiring drivers to test their blood-alcohol content (BAC) before starting their car. If a driver's BAC is above the legal limit, the car will not start.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/424979-dem-lawmaker-proposes-requiring-all-new-cars-to-have-built-in-breathalyzers

SaveComment44Like
Comments (44)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dockside_gw

I'm sure there were other diverse groups of nuts who proposed, and got, mandatory seatbelts, air bags, etc. You have something against safety and curbing drunk driving?

11 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

This will make Matt Gaetz really nervous.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

I know we'd all be surprised at how many bills are proposed and don't go anywhere. And we'd be surprised at what they were for.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

How you supposed to get home?

2 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Drunk Driving kills. Those deaths are okay?

Immigrant kill. Those deaths are NOT okay?

5 Likes Save    
Fárbauti

This will make Matt Gaetz really nervous.

Not to mention Beto. Or anyone who uses mouthwash before leaving for work in the morning.

1 Like Save    
sheesh(5b)

Or you, Fárbauti?

Save    
Fárbauti

I think the totalitarian tendencies Democrats are exhibiting lately should make everyone nervous. Particularly those who identify as "liberal".

5 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

Do you prefer the authoritarian tendencies of President Trump?

8 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

LOL

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Fine by me, so long as it also tests for drugs. Pot would be a logical one to test for. Oh, and no cell phone use while car is in motion, that would be good. And no doing makeup while driving. Also no eating/drinking while driving. No looking back into the back seat to talk to/yell at kids. No excessive use of bass on stereo, which better not be too loud.

3 Likes Save    
HU-249913260

Oh, and no cell phone use while car is in motion, that would be good.

Yes it would be good. Only an idiot would use a cell phone while operating a vehicle. If you have a child in the car, it is a form of neglect. I wouldn't compare driving drunk or texting to taking a sip of water while looking straight ahead. Or are you trying to be snarky about dying by a drunk driver?

Save    
arthurm2015(Micro-Climate, Zone 10b Sydney, Australia)

Haven't you got fines for texting while driving in the USA? Testing for drugs as well as grog readings over .05 are routine.

Save    
Pidge_

Elvis? Snarky? Do you jest?

I think the driving with too much alcohol in one's' system is wothy of halting by the means described above.

I never answer my phone when I'm driving. I've watched young women in cars behind me while they applied make-up and I have never seen one do that while her car was moving,

As for eating and drinking while driving--I do both at times. As for my stereo--please, get a grip.

Save    
lukkiirish

This isn’t the first time this idea has made the rounds, previous versions had a clause that the breath testing would only be activated if someone is known either legally or medically to have a problem.

Save    
foodonastump

This isn’t the first time this idea has made the rounds,

So I’d assume people have already thought about how ridiculously unfeasible it is. Which begs the question, why is someone being paid to reinvent a square wheel? Is this the best use of our representation and tax dollars?

Save    
judeNY_gw

This addresses a real problem instead of a fake one so makes sense that trumpers don't go for it.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Or are you trying to be snarky about dying by a drunk driver?

Oh sure. Our family station wagon with all of us in it was struck head-on by a drunk driver going home one Christmas Eve. The first thing we did was laugh our heads off.

Thanks for asking, though!

1 Like Save    
cait1

dems' jackboots will be in your house next when they learn what Canada did.

It may sound unbelievable, but Canada’s revised laws on impaired driving could see police demand breath samples from people in bars, restaurants, or even at home. And if you say no, you could be arrested, face a criminal record, ordered to pay a fine, and subjected to a driving suspension.

You could be in violation of the impaired driving laws even two hours after you’ve been driving. Now, the onus is on drivers to prove they weren’t impaired when they were on the road.

“It’s ridiculous, it’s basically criminalizing you having a drink at your kitchen table,” Paul Doroshenko, a Vancouver criminal defence lawyer who specializes in impaired driving cases, told Global News....

“It’s a serious erosion of civil liberties,” said Toronto criminal defence lawyer Michael Engel, whose practice focuses almost exclusively on impaired driving cases.

Engel said someone could be unjustly prosecuted. If a disgruntled business associate or spouse called police with a complaint and an officer went to investigate at the persons’ home or place of business, police could demand a breath sample.

“Husbands or wives in the course of separations would drop the dime on their partner,” Engel said, describing the potential for the law’s abuse by those calling police out of spite, for example.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4832762/impaired-driving-canada-breath-samples/

dems are as bad as those Crazy Canucks. SMH

2 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

Yup crazy Canucks, and USA too, seems they beat us to the punch! “Mandatory alcohol screening only applies at the roadside, nowhere else. The law is clear on that,” said David Taylor, director of communications for the minister of justice and attorney general of Canada.

“The ‘two-hour’ rule in the new impaired driving laws was put in place to limit the use of certain defences in drunk driving cases,” Taylor said in a written statement.

“It is also used in at least 16 US States and has been upheld by their courts. In order to seek a breath sample after a driver is no longer behind the wheel, a police officer would require reasonable grounds to believe that person was impaired while they were driving.”

1 Like Save    
sheesh(5b)

Thanks, tryingto. It seems we often have cases of severe.reading impairment around here. I keep hoping It will improve, but....

1 Like Save    
HU-249913260

No excessive use of bass on stereo, which better not be too loud.
Also no eating/drinking while driving.

Why would you say something this silly if you were hit by a drunk driver? Are you comparing taking a sip of water while driving to driving intoxicated? You make jest of something quite serious.

2 Likes Save    
GOD

meanwhile, the republicans want to force women to carry a fetus to term.

1 Like Save    
Fárbauti

A fetus? You mean a baby, a human being.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Earth *is* the center of the universe.

And the bible does tell that slavery is just.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

I think the driving with too much alcohol in one's' system is wothy of halting by the means described above.

Pidge,

Does your support for keeping drunk drivers off the road go deep enough to support deportation of illegal aliens convicted of DUI?

Save    
leona_2008

I applauded Utah on its recent lowering of their blood alcohol limit to 0.05. What happens when legislation such as this is passed is that lives are saved. I repeat: lives are saved. You can bet your bottom dollar that Utahans will take it more seriously and think/plan ahead better than they were doing. I don't think everyone should have to pass a breathalyzer every time before they start their car, just the ones who've been convicted of a DWI.

By the way, this is a great example of a major difference between Democrats and Republicans. Democrats see a problem and work towards solving it. Republicans will slap a bandaid on a problem while reaching under the table for their payments not to solve it.

1 Like Save    
texasranger2

Idiotic

zeimia-----The Bible does not tell us "slavery is just".

The books of the Bible were written during a period in history when slavery was commonplace everywhere around the world. Referring to slaves in passages and saying "slavery is just" are entirely different things. Any written document from that period would simply assume slavery was a part of culture and mention it as a part of their culture just as we do in what we write today. Some of what would be written today that is considered 'just' would seem shockingly obscene, evil and decadent to people of earlier generations but never mind that, it doesn't count.

I gets very tedious reading comments from people who apply their modern standards on all periods of history as if they are superior beings who were born instinctively smarter as if they constitute a morally advanced and superior race of beings as they simultaneously trash the very things that were essential in forming the basis of a free democratic society in the country they are blessed to live in and take for granted. Their arrogance is appalling.

Save    
elvis

Ziemia(6a)

Earth *is* the center of the universe.

And the bible does tell that slavery is just.

texasranger2

Idiotic

The Bible does not tell us "slavery is just".

The books of the Bible were written during a period in history when slavery was commonplace everywhere around the world. Referring to slaves in passages and saying "slavery is just" are entirely different things.

Of course, you are right, TR.

I am dismayed at ziemia's remark. Why post a statement like that?

Save    
HU-249913260

Tell that to the sun.

1 Like Save    
Becca Reese

Look out, Beto!

Save    
Becca Reese

Pidge,

Does your support for keeping drunk drivers off the road go deep
enough to support deportation of illegal aliens convicted of DUI?

They don't need no stinkin' breathalyzer in their car! They don't need licenses or insurance, so why hold them to driving sober?

1 Like Save    
Becca Reese

When are we going to start testing for THC before driving?

Save    
texasranger2

elvis---obviously the main reason is to spread the poison of their anti-Christian bias which goes hand in hand with their equally poisonous anti-Western bias. They like to sit back enjoying their modern inventions and critique the traditional values of those who founded and settled in America.

Maybe they can't just accept the idea that God is not a SJW.

More likely, they seek to present themselves as morally superior and more intellectually advanced than Christians and all who lived before them because, unlike them, those people are un-evolved and inferior.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

If white Christians hadn't used biblical quotes to support slavery it would be a non issue so far as modern society is concerned but they did and some still do. It is part of White Supremacist doctrine. Your average White Supremacist considers themselves to be Christian.

Back to the OP. Drunk driving is a serious problem and trying to come up with solutions is not crazy. Whether or not this is a good solution can be explored. It would deal with the drunks who drive even though they have lost their driving license. Lots of those killing people out on the roads. I like to keep an open mind about such things.

Save    
maifleur01

I have known too many alcoholics to think this would keep any of them from driving. Part of the difficulty is as someone mentioned above with the mouthwash several products that people use that are alcohol that people do not think of. I also wonder about people doing the current keto fad as that releases a type of alcohol that would be on someone's breath. My younger brother was killed by a drunk women who ran several people off the road until they met at the top of a hill. I blame her not the alcohol.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Here where I live, the law already requires anyone whose license was revoked due to DUI to have such devices installed on their vehicle(s) if they want to get their driver's license reinstated.

And I'd like to think most average grownups here in the USA would be aware of the difference between a proposed bill and a law - & maybe also how a bill becomes a law...?

Save    
texasranger2

Patricia------you might as well say "your average terrorist is Islamic" its the same thing as saying "your average White Supremacist considers themselves to be Christian".

Just because a white supremacist identifies himself as Christian doesn't mean all Christians or even most are white supremacists as hopefully everyone knows. The actual number of white supremacists in America is grossly exaggerated by the Liberal press. White supremacy is not the teaching of he Bible no matter how much its misinterpreted.

Anyone can use the Bible to misinterpret its meaning to suit their personal ideology, agenda or hate.

However, there is a distinction that needs to be made between terrorists and White Supremacists claiming to follow their religion.

Islamic terrorists follow the actual instructions of Allah in the Koran. Of course, not all Muslims are terrorists nor do all practice Jihad as specifically instructed in the Koran "because Allah wills it, praise be to Allah". However, many who were once secular Muslims have become radicalized but unlike Christianity in the case of Islam that means actually following the tenets of Islam as instructed in the Koran rather than misinterpreting it.

The difference between the Bible and the Koran is that unlike Mohammed who claimed to speak directly for Allah, Christ didn't instruct his followers that not all blood is equal or the blood of the infidel must be spilled to spread Islam into all the world or to instill terror into the hearts of the enemy (dhimmis) which includes non-combatants (women and children) or impose the choice of -- converting to Islam or paying crippling poll taxes or be beheaded as an infidel living in a conquered nation, Nor does the Bible teach that a woman who's head is uncovered deserves to be raped and should be stoned or that young women can be enslaved for purposes of sex.

1 Like Save    

"Grossly exaggerated"?

And as for the gobbledygook following it - no words...

Save    
texasranger2

You should do some study and read those portions of the Koran before calling it gobbledygook. I can back this up with verses if you want. The tenants are spelled out quite clearly and are very specific; you could check out Sharia Law as well.

Grossly exaggerated---yes, when the entire population of the US is taken into account White Supremacists make a very small percent. Of course, to those on the left who call anyone who disagrees with them "white supremacist" that would include all conservatives which is not unlike misinterpreting the Bible to suit one's own agenda.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

TR, you can find enough violence in the old testament to justify any act you can think of. People who want to will. I do not claim that all Christians are white supremacists. Sadly the people who kept slaves were capable of using the Christian bible to support their position as being Godly. Unfortunately today we still have people in this country who will do the same thing. Muslims can find in their scriptures what they want to find as well. The vast majority do not. It is as unfair to blame the vast majority of Muslims for the acts of the violent few as it is to blame all Christians for the acts of White Supremacist Christians.

Save    
elvis

It is as unfair to blame the vast majority of Muslims for the acts of the violent few as it is to blame all Christians for the acts of White Supremacist Christians.

Yes. Certainly not in dispute!

1 Like Save    
Pidge_

While breathalyzers will certainly not keep all drunk drivers off the road, I have no problem with trying to keep as many as possible out of the driver's seat.

Save    

I would argue it is not numbers alone that should be cause for concern, but the amount of damage/mayhem being done.

Because one might also argue that the number of Islamist extremists is quite small as a percentage of Muslim people in the world.

Isn't that one of the foundations of terrorism - that a small number of people can have an enormous influence?

A broad brush, simplistic approach is misguided and ineffective, no matter which side you're on.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entertaining The Polite House: How to Set Limits With Overnight Houseguests
Part 1: Establish boundaries with visitors who want to stay too long and who expect too much
Full Story