Freedom Caucus members tell Trump to back off wall emergency

dandyfopp

He has a way with words.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/11/freedom-caucus-border-emergency-trump-1096929

Freedom Caucus members tell Trump to back off wall emergency

Conservative hard-liners fear the move would lead to an uncertain legal battle while setting a dangerous precedent for the presidency.

A core group of the hard-line House Freedom Caucus is urging President Donald Trump against the explosive step of declaring a national emergency to build his wall.

Multiple Republicans in the conservative group have privately raised their concerns with the Trump administration, fearing it would lead to a years-long legal standoff that Democrats could win while setting a dangerous precedent for the presidency, according to more than a dozen lawmakers and GOP aides. They want Trump to hold out for a deal with Democrats, regardless of how long the partial government shutdown drags on.

Trump’s possible pursuit of an emergency declaration on the border divided the caucus during an animated meeting Wednesday night, according to lawmakers who attended the meeting. Members wrestled with constitutional concerns. GOP Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan was reportedly particularly outspoken. Searching for an alternative, the group kicked around other, more legally sound ways for Trump to raise revenue for the wall.

“[Trump] has more options on the table than what I have read about,” said Rep. Warren Davidson (R-Ohio), who has sponsored a bill allowing private citizens to make contributions toward building and maintaining border walls. “We shared some of those ideas.”

But while conservatives are uneasy with the prospect of an emergency declaration, many acknowledge they would ultimately line up behind the president if he pulls the trigger — a scenario that is increasingly expected on Capitol Hill as the shutdown barrels into its fourth week.

“I do see the potential for national emergencies being used for every single thing that we face in the future where we can’t reach an agreement. That’s the slippery slope that I’m concerned about,” Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), a top Trump ally, told POLITICO on Thursday. “The administration is well aware of the ability to use national emergency [powers] and the reluctance to do so from House members.”

“And yet, I think the president would find broad support if it’s determined that ultimately he has to do it,” Meadows added.

In a tweet Friday morning, Meadows wrote that if Democrats don’t compromise on the wall, Trump should exhaust all options before an emergency declaration, but then should feel free to do so. “POTUS should use asset forfeiture money or other discretionary fees to start construction,” he wrote. “If not, he should declare a national emergency.”

The president’s approach is putting House conservatives — who spent years railing against President Barack Obama for alleged executive overreach, particularly on immigration — in a serious bind. It’s also one of conservatives’ first battles in their new minority, where the once-powerful House Freedom Caucus now hold far less leverage in the House.

MORE

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fárbauti

I agree. Just keep the government shut down until Democrats set aside their hate and do what's right for the American people. They voted for a border barrier previously, so it's only a political stunt for them.

Save    
GOD

When you've lost the freedom caucus .. . .

9 Likes Save    
Chi

It doesn't matter what they voted for previously. They are elected to represent their constituents, and the majority of them do not want the wall. Perhaps they changed their mind after realizing this? Kind of like how Trump said he was proud to own the shut down but then decided it's the Democrat's fault.

4 Likes Save    
chase_gw

The Dems have never voted for a barrier of any type in isolation of other considerations.......never not once.

5 Likes Save    
Fárbauti

Nor are they being asked to. The wall is part of funding border security.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

I didn't mean other border security considerations. I mean other immigration considerations like DACA.....but I suspect you knew that.

Interestingly all of the other border security considerations are offered by Dems......Trump only has one idea....a wall.

7 Likes Save    
cattyles8675309

Rick Wilson does have a way with words. :-)

2 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"When you've lost the freedom caucus .. . ."

trump thought that freedom was free, nyuk.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

chase__gw

Interestingly all of the other border security considerations are offered by Dems......Trump only has one idea....a wall.

That statement is patently false.

I heard President Trump say he wants more border agents and technology, as well.

1 Like Save    
josephene_gw

Stan then why does he keep saying WALL, WALL, WALL?

why hasn’t he put together a plan for securing the area?

read tRumps lips, he doesn’t have a plan.

He just wants MONEY.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Agreed, let's see the whole plan.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Why is trump letting his admin be run by coulter and limbaugh?

There was already an appropriation for border security in the budget and only a small fraction of it has even been spent.

trump was ready to sign the bill passed by the house and the senate until coulter and limbaugh trashed him. Then he reneged on what he said he would already sign.

If anyone thinks this is about the wall and not trump's ego, I have a bridge I can sell you too.

8 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

I thought he was being run by neonặzi Stephen Miller.

4 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

There's nothing "neo" about Nazi Stephen Miller

Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

Re: The wall is part of funding border security.

If that's what your narcissist in chief is proposing, then he needs to use his words and say that. But he's not is he. He is proposing "the" wall, singular. If he means something else then he should have used his 8 mins on TV more wisely and explained it to us, instead of just flailing out.

6 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

I hear Trump say so many contradictory things.

To know those which are what he really tuly means - there must be a de-coder device/ring available.

Yes, he needs to learn to use his words (if not learned at home it is taught in pre-Kindergarten).

2 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Why is trump letting his admin be run by coulter and limbaugh?

limbaugh(domie) has had the gop on a short leash since the 1990's when newt became his good buddy.

1 Like Save    
llucy

I remember Limbaugh had a tv show in the 1990's. I thought it was satire, not something most folks took seriously.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"There was already an appropriation for border security in the budget and only a small fraction of it has even been spent."

When you say there was already an appropriation for border security "in the budget" it's not clear what budget you're talking about, the size of the appropriation, nor what qualifies as "border security" in the legislation you refer to.

Politicians usually can't wait to get their hands on money, so what is it about this particular appropriation that has them staying away?

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Here is some info. that might help you sort out the funding mess, Nik. It is from an article a few days ago.

--------------------------

"What happened to the border wall money Congress already gave Trump?

As Donald Trump’s presidency ends its second year, the US has failed to spend most of the money already allocated for a wall on the Mexico border or build a single foot of new wall there.

[. . .]

What the US has spent on the border

Trump’s administration has so far spent just 6% of the $1.6 billion allocated for any physical barrier upgrades on the southern border in the fiscal 2017 and 2018 budgets, according to calculations by Senate Democrats, including Patrick Leahy of Vermont:

The $109 million “expenditure” figure there, however, does not take into account funds that are promised to companies through signed contracts that have not yet been completed (and therefore are not yet paid).

Nearly 60% of those funds have been promised in contract awards made through the Army Corps of Engineers via Customs and Border Protection (CBP), a Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said. That includes 35 of 40 miles of replacement wall funded by the fiscal 2017 budget and $700 million of the $1.2 billion funded in the 2018 budget, she said.

In other words, the DHS has committed about 60% of the money for physical barriers via new contracts, while 40% of the money remains uncommitted. . . .

[. . . ]

Why it has been slow going

Fiscal 2017 DHS outlays were $2.2 billion less than appropriated, in part “due to slower-than-expected spending for procurements and construction for customs enforcement and border protection infrastructure projects,” treasury secretary Steve Mnuchin and federal budget director Mick Mulvaney said in October 2017. A year later, DHS outlays were nearly $10 billion less than appropriated, due in part to delays on the money actually being handed over to the agency—building the wall became such a political fight that DHS’s budget was held up in debate over last year’s government spending bill, too (it was finally approved last March).

And the border issue is complicated by the fact that in many of the places where a wall can be built a barrier is already in place. More than 650 miles of the 2,000-mile border already have some sort of wall or fence, CBP officials have said.

Some of the rest of the border area is virtually unbuildable at this time—there are landscape features in the way, like the Rio Grande river, or the federal government needs to seize land from US landowners, a contentious issue even before Trump took office."

https://qz.com/1516960/trump-speech-tonight-he-hasnt-spent-border-wall-money-he-already-has/
-------------------------------------------

That probably doesn't answer all your questions, but it is the best I can do. I must confess that lots of numbers bore me--and my attention starts to wander. But hopefully, some posters will welcome them.

Kate

2 Likes Save    
petalique

Annie D wrote:

"Then he reneged on what he said..."

~~~~~

That is always the case, isn't it. He lies more often than not. He denies that he said or did what audio, video and tweets and sweet cheeses can prove otherwise. He frequently reneges on "promises." We all know this. Trump only cares about how he looks on TV.

And "5 billion" would be just the beginning. Trump gives in to RW entertainment talk show loud mouths, gives away everything to get their approval -- or Putin's.

Border security the intelligent way. Not a dime or bent penny for trump's ego wall.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

So much for a steel wall...

Sawzall anyone?

4 Likes Save    
how2girl

It’s all a ruse...

5 Likes Save    
dragonflywings42

Chaos - the "Steves" are getting precisely what they wanted. Once we are sick of all the bickering, we might actually find out what the real plan was. Trust your government as much as you once did, anyone? They are playing the long game. It's all a con. (I am not a conspiracy theorist - this is not the Illuminati - it's a few human beings who think they know better than the rest of us.)

Save    
momj47(7A)

If he gets $5 billion this year, next year there will be another (threatened) shutdown for $10 or $15 or $20 billion.

Trump must not be allowed to hold our government hostage to his petty demands and tantrums.

Trump must be castrated, neutralized now.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Design Details 5 Modern Home Exteriors Tell a Texture Story
'Woven' concrete, rammed earth, stones tumbled into baskets ... Materials with texture give these homes freedom of expression
Full Story
Working With Pros Tell Us Your Houzz Success Story
By Houzz
Have you used the site to connect with professionals, browse photos and more to make your project run smoother? We want to hear your story
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Style Trumps Ease in a San Francisco Loft
What’s a little ladder climbing when you’ve got a gorgeous-looking kitchen design like this?
Full Story
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More