Pastor who called Orlando Pulse victims 'scum'

GOD

Donnie Romero, a Baptist minister in Texas who came into the spotlight in 2016 when he praised the Pulse nightclub shooting that killed 49 people, was fired after admitting that he used marijuana, had a gambling habit and paid for sex with prostitutes.

In 2016, following the mass shooting at Pulse, Romero heaped praise on domestic terrorist Omar Mateen, calling the victims "perverts and pedophiles."

"They're the scum of the earth, and the earth is a better place now, and I'll take it a step further," Romero said of the Pulse victims. "I'll pray to God like I did this morning, and I will again tonight, that God will finish the job that man has started."

SaveComment20Like1
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Karma is a beeyatch.

3 Likes Save    
MissMyGardens

The fact this still exists in too many places means the concerns of LGBT community isn't just "identity politics" as some toss around.

The "pastor" who's taking over, Shelley, is no less hateful towards anyone not in alliance with their beliefs isn't any better...his sins just aren't public and may not be as sensational.

One's worse than the next in a movement founded in 2005 called New Independent Fundamentalist Baptist church.

“The bible makes it clear that homosexuals should be put to death according to God's law, and at the founding of America that once was the law,” he claimed. “I personally believe that every homosexual is a pedophile …because of this they should be removed from society.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/anti-gay-pastor-resigns-after-allegedly-being-prostitutes-n955926?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Shelley preached against the LGBTQ community in an October 2018 sermon.

“They hate God. God has already given them up,” he says in the video. “That’s the reason
they’re doing these vile, disgusting things. They’re beasts, they’re wicked, they’re abominable, they’re filthy today.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/living/religion/article223975135.html#storylink=cpy

1 Like Save     Thanked by GOD
HamiltonGardener

Ironic that gambling, smoking a joint, and sex with women he wasn’t married to was deemed worthy to get him fired. Praising Muslim terrorism for the murder of 49 people and wishing for more was just fine.

That’s Christian values?

9 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

It certainly represents American evangelical "christian" values in 2019

5 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

There's an old saying: "it takes one to know one."

When we see someone harping on a specific "sin" (in this case perversion) it's reasonably certain that person struggles with the same demons.

When I hear someone railing against "perverts" and pedophiles I make a little mental note not to let my kids anywhere near that dude.

6 Likes Save    
MissMyGardens

momj47(7A) "It certainly represents American evangelical "christian" values in 2019".

Some, likely not all. There are those who've actively prayed for the comeuppance of the "sodomites" and those who just pray for judges who'll take an axe to any rights extended to them over past decade by those "secular leftists". They're not satisfied to keep their beliefs to themselves. They demand other citizens step off the curb as they pass so everyone knows who the "real" patriots are.

1 Like Save    

@margievank, maybe. I know that I am very good at making up lies on the fly so I can easily hear them in other people's voice and words.

We all have our "besetting sins." Doesn't mean we indulge in them.

**Edited for spelling

Save    

@margie you seem confused.

Save    
Bunny

Merriam-Webster:

besetting sin noun

Definition of besetting sin

: a main or constant problem or fault

My besetting sin is a fondness for sweets.

Thanks to Lindsey for motivating me to find out what this expression means, because I never heard of it before.

1 Like Save    
katrina_ellen

"Lying is a "sin", then can we assume it is reasonably certain that all the people that harp about Trump lying struggle with the same "sin" ?"

Touche margievank. Followed to its logical conclusion.

Save    
mayflowers

In his apology video, Romero said he's looking for a new IFB church. It appears that his Independent Fundamental Baptist denomination is a hotbed of abuse because of it patriarchal theology. Sometimes I think organized religions were invented for the sole purpose of controlling women.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/independent-fundamental-baptist-churches-sexual-abuse_us_5c117f67e4b0835fe326602e

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

There's an old saying: "it takes one to know one."

My first response was identical to margievank's. There is frost on the fire this morning. "It takes one to know one" is as seriously flawed as "we are all to blame".

Save    

Now it's my turn not to understand. What does "there is frost on the fire this morning" mean?

Google turned up a poem by Robert Frost that was irrelevant and a sex act.

As for "it takes one to know one" being flawed, I think it is just as useful as any other old cliche. Obviously not always true, but true often enough.

I should be clear, I'm making a distinction between:

-teaching the morals if a given group, and

-obsessing over a specific transgression with very little attention given to any other form of wrong-doing.

How many times have we seen ultra-conservatives who specifically obsess about "perversion" exposed for the same acts they rail against? Often enough to make me cautious of a religious leader who shows a similar OBSESSION, *especially with pedophilia*. Because kids' health and safety is at stake.

And of course the phrase doesn't exonerate someone who did the wrong thing. Just because I *can* lie doesn't mean I'm allowed to. Just because a person has a propensity for being attracted to children doesn't mean they are allowed to act on that.

I found this article interesting: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi5o-STrObfAhVkNn0KHU3DBKkQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.psychologytoday.com%2Fca%2Fblog%2Fevolution-the-self%2F201702%2Fit-takes-one-know-one-truth-or-half-truth&psig=AOvVaw2x6sAz2pz6J15qCNXUL54g&ust=1547317271369067 particularly the parts about self-awareness and "human lie detectors."

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

"there is frost on the fire this morning"

I simply meant 'not quite hell freezing over'. ;) It is rare for me to agree with what margievank posts in HT.

1 Like Save    

Ok, gotcha. That's funny :-D

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

The fun fact that I often customize well known sayings to more accurately express my thoughts, or were you simply the next to last to know the obviousness that we rarely agree?

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

And I thought excellent and clever play on words. Better than a "cold day in Hell" by far.

2 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

@margievank I remembered lindsey commented on another thread about being new to the forum, so information on various members' stances on the range of issues covered would not necessarily be known yet.

I don't know your reasons for preferring our political differences not be mentioned, but I'm not embarrassed to say we frequent different camps. It isn't as if I have brought it up with anything resembling frequency, so I don't understand your issue with my post.

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

So you are now flapjacking over what you just posted about leaving things unsaid. I'm not going to well up with surprise.

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Save