SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostowyo

Help with short and long term solutions for awkward room?

bostowyo
5 years ago

I could really use some help with this room. It's in between the kitchen and living room and has an unused front door (everyone enters through the mudroom which is on the other side of the kitchen). I would love some thoughts for how to stage this room until we tackle a major remodel. I hate having the dining table pushed against the wall but it doesn't make sense to center it under the light as you'd be constantly walking around it. Plus, we don't use it. It just ends up a catch all space. I'd be ok selling it. Should I replace the light fixture? Put in a bench and smaller table? The space is about 11 x 10.

In the remodel, I'll be replacing the paneling (and strange nooks!) with drywall and replacing the flooring which is currently laminate tile. Should I just tie in to the wood flooring (original) in the living room and run that through the kitchen and do some kind of tile in the mudroom (which is just beyond the kitchen)? Or something else? Interested to hear suggestions.

Also, is there a better way to address the front door in the long run? It's crazy to consider getting rid of it (it does look great from the outside) but it's so awkward to deal with on the inside.

Suggestion appreciated!

Comments (2)