SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjderosa

Who should have recognized the water table problem on a custom build?

pjderosa
5 years ago

Hi all, We bought a lot and hired an architect and a general contractor to build a custom designed home. We heard from the GC and the foundation subcontractor after they dug the basement that based on the soil and location we'd "never have to worry about water" and unfortunately didn't know to ask more questions. No sump or drains were put in during the foundation process and we didn't worry about the depth. You can guess the end of the story. It turns out that 2016 (when we completed the build) was the end of a 4 year period of relative drought and during our first spring the finished basement promptly flooded. 2018 proved it wasn't an anomaly as the water table rose above the floor again, and we're lucky enough to get a rare double flooding season this winter! We know have a few pumps keeping the water at bay while we figure out what to do as a permanent solution.

My question is to confirm (as I suspect) that this is all considered 100% my legal fault for not knowing enough to ask the right questions. Is it correct that there are no building codes to follow (build at your own risk) so there isn't any actual liability on the contractors who on paper just appear to be "following orders" or the town who provided the permitting oversight of the foundation process? The GC helped us pick out the lot and design the house, but the purchase was ours directly. We are not in any "flood zone" situation and this appears to be normal water table stuff due to our newer finished basement being deeper than the typical older house.

I realize groundwater is difficult to understand and predict, so I can understand that they didn't see it coming, but at the same time, we have a small lot and house and the finished basement was about 1/3 our living space, so we've probably now lost a substantial amount of value (e.g. we ourselves wouldn't buy a house with finished space below the seasonal water table). So I feel like I have to ask if it was just all my fault or if some check might have been missed in the whole process. We had to jump through so many hoops to satisfy all the codes - this seems like a big and obvious one that an unsuspecting homeowner could have used a little help on!

Thanks!

Comments (35)