SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashkeller

Organic vegetable plant growers near London, Ontario?

ashley_hope
5 years ago

Hi everyone,

Starting life over with a new partner, new house and new garden this spring. Hoping to bring the kids and combined family together over a small, raised veggie garden in the backyard. Looking for some advice on where to find organic vegetable plant starters in the area.

We just ordered a small variety of heirloom seeds that said they were best suited for direct-sewing from Hawthorn Farm. Purchased beginner-level herbs and veggies. Sugar snap peas, carrots, lacinato kale, endive, detroit dark red beets, provider beans, basil, parsley, etc.

I have tried growing tomatoes, peppers, etc. from seed before and haven't had much luck with them. The house that we rent isn't very large and the basement is pretty cold, so I thought we should buy a few of the plants.

I did search online for where to buy organic vegetable plants as the nursery options nearby seemed to only sell conventional veggies last year. I wondered if anyone here knows of local veggie growers who would have things like tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and cucumbers? We only need a handful of plants.

Does anyone have advice on where to find organic vegetable plant starters near London, Ontario? We are willing to drive outside the city if necessary to find them.

Our plan is to build out a 6x3 foot raised bed and fill it with a combination of three-way topsoil and compost. We were thinking to mulch it with Pine Mulch (Gro-Bark) and follow a "square-foot style" gardening plan for beginner vegetable planting. We have a sunny location in the backyard.

The squirrel situation here is very bad (gnawing through plastic garbage cans) so we also plan to build a removable enclosure with chicken wire around the sides and top of the garden.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Comments (24)