SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_russo73

Sliding door dilemma, barn or something else?

Jessica Russo
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am renovating my house, we are doing a LOT but something we are trying to find room for in the budget is changing out the door that goes from our living room to our sunroom. The sunroom is inside space, but at sometime in the history of the house, it was an outdoor patio that was eventually enclosed. So this particular door is an exterior door, but it's on the *interior* of our house at this point.
From the living room the door is in drywall with a casing. From the sunroom, the door is in a brick wall (used to be an exterior wall) so changing it's dimensions isn't going to happen.
Other design challenges are the fact that the sunroom is fairly narrow so we don't want anything that would swing outward too wide because it would interfere with the use of that space. Anything swinging into the living room is going to interfere with where the furniture really must go in the living room. I think some kind of sliding door is a must, but am open to other opinions.
The available wall space does limit my barn door options. The door is 96.5 inches wide including the casing. However, I only have 35 inches of wall space on either side of the door. Should I go with 2 panels and simply deal with the doors not completely clearing the opening but being symmetrical, or do some kind of 3 panel bypass deal?
Again open to other options and ideas, and really appreciate any opinions!
Photo in comments! Couldn't figure out how to link it here!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert