SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alleyoop

Mid-Cenurty Inspired shelving and Living Room Help

Heather L
5 years ago

In sunny Austin, Texas, we recently removed a huge corner fireplace from the corner of our small living room in order to install a new covered deck with sliding doors. We are thrilled with the results. For the next step, we are going to pull out the 1980s built-ins and would like to install some shelving on the adjacent wall. We are fans of Mid Century, but mainly Danish Modern woods and would love to buy a Poul Cadovius wall system, but they are out of our price range. The simple question is, what sort of shelves and mainly brackets should I choose. I was thinking of 4 shelves, each 72 inches wide. They will hold mainly books and decorator items (some of which are in the built-ins right now, and some from other parts of our home). The painting on the opposite wall is in it's original gold frame, which I would like to integrate into the room a bit better. We are pulling out the built-ins, as I am trying to decide on new flooring which will have to go under the space. Also, we need new couches... So any help you can give me on the space, furniture, flooring, but especially the book shelves would be great. I need to make a decision on this so we can move forward.

The space. The wall in question is the one with the national park posters on it:

and here is the other wall, to see the painting in question:

I am scouring the local places and craigslist to find a Mid-mod credenza for the space vacatedby the built-in. Hopefully find something like this:

Sonos Multi-Room Sound Systems · More Info

And would like the shelving to be something like this:

West Village apartment · More Info

My one idea is to buy brass brackets like this, to help integrate the gold a bit more in the room, and just stain wood to look teak/walnutish:

Thoughts? -Heather

Comments (13)