SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jekeesl

Coreopsis cf. tripteris x linifolia

I've always liked non-typical plants. Last year, I found a small colony of 4-6 foot tall Coreopsis that keyed to C. tripteris, but had much more narrow leaflets than expected. The largest leaflets were just 6.5 mm wide (normal range 12-35+ mm wide per FNA). Six miles down the road, I found a larger colony of similar plants with those very narrow leaflets, and wondered if they were a hybrid of C. tripteris x linifolia. Plants in both colonies were arched, because their stems were thinner than typical. In any case, their appearance was striking.

Comments (8)

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

I'm trying out C. tripteris for the first time. I've never grown so big a Coriopsis before. Just the plains and the lanceolata. Did you collect any seeds from these plants?

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jay, no seeds have been collected, to date. If there is a significant population of these narrow-leafleted plants, then seed collection and DNA analysis would follow.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Was the whole population the same, or did you notice any slightly different phenotypes? Have you had other plants that you did dna tests on? I guess I could do some plant profiles here myself lol. It's much safer than submitting questions haha! I have fooled everyone here with pics from my own garden before. I haven't been able to edit or delete my threads. I'm enjoying your threads. I have my own thread in native plants where I usually do this on a daily basis, sometimes hourly lol. The winter is the perfect time for everyone to get to know one another better and set up trades and plans for the next growing season. Everything is where it should be right now.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jay, both Coreopsis populations had the same narrow leaflets.

I did get DNA results on a Eupatorium hybrid last season from the country's expert on that genus. He clearly identified the two parents, and also noted that there were no previous records of that hybrid. Since the plants were fertile and reproducing over a large area in two Arkansas counties, that one will probably be awarded species status and named after me once the necessary documentation is completed.

Last season, I also collected leaves from several Helenium specimens that appeared to be H. virginicum. Those should be submitted for DNA tests this year. DNA analysis can easily determine ID for Helenium species, since results already exist for all of the species in that genus. If H. virginicum is confirmed, that will be pretty exciting as H. virginicum is very rare, even within its known range (see BONAP distribution map here).

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

Exciting indeed on both the E. & H. jekeesl !

jekeesl (south-central Arkansas) thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That is absolutely facinating. Wow! What an honor! Congrats!

jekeesl (south-central Arkansas) thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

I'm coming here from email. I can't find this on the page lol. I call it crazy bliss! Jekeesl, we have a wetlands in the area that is a protected egret nesting ground. I was in that area a few years ago and came across an unusual type of small wild cleome that had greenish flowers. I have searched the web but have never found anything mentioning such a plant in this area or state. I'm wondering if it's an undiscovered species.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting