SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leah_harvey4710

Laundry Room - what to do with shut off valves???

Leah Harvey
5 years ago

I am finally adding cabinetry and a countertop to my laundry room. I now realize that the water shut off valves are right in line with where the countertop will go. Should they be moved higher or lower?

Comments (49)

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

I would moved them higher. Centered on the wall and hang some framed art over top to conceal them.

Leah Harvey thanked Elizabeth
  • Related Discussions

electonic shut off valves? Anyone use them?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have no experience with the electronic ones; I use the manual ones, simple quarter-turn levers that take about the same amount of time to shut off as a light switch. Mine are quite pipe/plumbing-ish looking, some users here have solved that problem in more elegant laundry rooms by using regular bathroom or kitchen faucet handles as the shut-offs. I have seen occasional reports of the electronic ones causing water flow fault indications in some machines. I would ask your machine's manufacturer for recommendations. (Manual ones won't do that.) Either way, (manual or electronic) it's a very good idea to have them. You may also be able to get some reduction on your homeowner's insurance premium, particularly if your machines are not in the basement. Won't hurt to ask! Molly~
    ...See More

How to hide Washer shut off valves?

Q

Comments (6)
    I found a wonderful dual valve that has a short stem with a ball knob that you turn both hot and cold water lines on with at the same time. Mine is solid brass and I like the look and feel of it. It is easy enough for my wife to switch. I think stainless can be had for more money. A plumber installed it . Our stand pipe is behind a sheet rock wall, except for a very short pipe that Y's off at the top and protrudes out of the wall. We stick the drain hose into it. No problems with backup or smells.
    ...See More

Laundry room - access to shut off valves for washer?

Q

Comments (21)
    Some realtors do not like to negotiate at all for fear the contract will fall through. My POV is that it does not hurt to ask. However, if you really want the home and think that there is enough competition in the market, you may want to just worry about it later. If that's the only thing wrong with the house it sounds like you found a winner. As long as there is a main shutoff that's easily accessible, then Jeffrey is right. However, some older homes (or those built by short-sighted builders) may not have one. In that case, I'd ask for a main shutoff to be installed where it is easily accessible. We have owned some rental properties where you have to call the city or a plumber to come shut it off.
    ...See More

No shut off valves under sinks anywhere except the main house valve

Q

Comments (9)
    (Assuming that you have no experience soldering copper pipes and have no desire to learn) (And assuming that we are even talking about copper pipes.) If you are going to tackle this project yourself, instead of hiring a plumber then you could use "Sharkbite" valves. They are more expensive than regular valves but you can just cut the pipe and push the valve on and you're done. They work with pex too, but with pex it might be more beneficial to buy regular valves and rent a crimp tool for a day to do it properly instead of buying a ton of sharkbites. Pex doesn't involve using fire like soldering copper does, so I feel like newbies would be more comfortable doing that.
    ...See More
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Lowering the box may not be an option because there is a 30" minimum height requirement for the standpipe (drain).

Leah Harvey thanked ci_lantro
  • Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    My guy built a little removable box over them. I display a couple of bud vases on it.
    Leah Harvey thanked Rachel Lee
  • Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ci_lantro - I just measured and the washer is 38.5" high so it could be lowered 8" which would hide it behind the washer.

• Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just read my owner's manual and the drain has to be between 29" and 96".

• erinsean
    5 years ago

If it is lower than the washer, how will you turn them off? If you have a leak and need to turn the water off, you would have to pull the machine out to get to the turnoffs. I say cut out counter around turnoff or move higher.

Leah Harvey thanked erinsean
  • Lynda
    5 years ago
    We just place a basket in front of ours.
    Leah Harvey thanked Lynda
  • Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Lynda - Yes, for the past 5 years I have had a variety of things in front of it and it really has not bothered me at all. But, we are having cabinetry installed with a solid countertop. The countertop would not be flush against the wall with that in the way.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

The counter can be flush against the wall except in that one spot. It can have a 2"x6" (or however wide the box is) notch cut out and it will look just fine.

Moving them up will involve cutting into and then repairing the walls, repainting, probably new hoses since these won't be long enough...to me it just simply wouldn't be worth it. But like I said before, I'm more concerned with function than look especially in a utility space.

Leah Harvey thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@erinsean - That is a great question! I was worried about that but upon reading some about these shut off valves, there seem to be varying opinions and no conclusive statements about what those valves are for. Of course, they are for shutting off the water - but just for when repairs are being made or a new machine installed or for when there is a water emergency??? In any case, the only time we have ever used them was for repair or replace. I do think if we end up moving it completely behind the washer, we will add an automatic shut off valve to ensure against those emergency situations.

• Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@lindsey (still misses Sophie) - yep, you are right about the work, but we also have to move some electrical outlets so I think the sheetrock is coming down.

• Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And, I do agree about function, but I want it to be lovely too!!!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

If the sheetrock is coming down anyway go for it! Move them down, I say.

haha after I typed that I went back and reread it. That second sentence must be read in a hoity-toity accent while you adjust a pretend monocle =-D

• Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, I appreciate all of the words of wisdom - this has really helped think this issue through and make decisions. We are moving the box down behind the washer and moving some outlets at the same time. Thanks everyone!

• carylsw
    5 years ago

If it is any help to you, I'm building a house right now and made sure my shut offs were lower than the washer. If I were to have a water emergency it would only take me seconds to move the washer enough to shut it off. The bottom line is IF this happens you are going to have a big mess no matter which way you go.

Leah Harvey thanked carylsw
  • Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Totally agree!

• dadoes
    5 years ago

I would *never* have washer water valves in a position that they are not immediately accessible in case of a problem. A friend has a rental property with a frontload washer/dryer pair stacked in a corner of the kitchen with the refrigerator immediately next to them. The refrigerator must be moved to access the washer's supply valves, and possibly the machines pulled forward a bit. The kitchen has wood laminate flooring. He'll regret that entire scenario when there's a leak or flood.

• Diane
    5 years ago
    I have my below the counter and have an emergency shut off valve for the whole room in the basement under the laundry room. It passed code and meets the manufacturer specifications.
    Leah Harvey thanked Diane
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If it is any help to you, I'm building a house right now and made sure my shut offs were lower than the washer. If I were to have a water emergency it would only take me seconds to move the washer enough to shut it off. The bottom line is IF this happens you are going to have a big mess no matter which way you go.

Disagree. Panic + wet floor = slipping, not moving that washer as fast as you might expect.

Agree, however, that -- regardless -- you'll have a mess.

I would moved them higher. Centered on the wall and hang some framed art over top to conceal them.

I was about to suggest the same thing.

I would *never* have washer water valves in a position that they are not immediately accessible in case of a problem.

My thoughts exactly.

• kris_zone6
    5 years ago

Paint it the same color as the walls and it will disappear into the wall.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

"A friend has a rental property with a frontload washer/dryer pair stacked in a corner of the kitchen with the refrigerator immediately next to them. The refrigerator must be moved to access the washer's supply valves, and possibly the machines pulled forward a bit. The kitchen has wood laminate flooring. He'll regret that entire scenario when there's a leak or flood."

This hypothetical scenario is completely irrelevant to the situation of the OP.

• tatts
    5 years ago

Lindsey: That is NOT "completely irrelevant to the situation of the OP". They are both putting a major appliance in front of the water valves It's exactly the same!

Anyone who has a washer and does not plan for an emergency--especially a split or leaking water hose--is just stupid.

Here's a scenario: You're leaving for a week-long vacation. You should really turn off the valves. But you have to move a major appliance to get to them. How often are you going to follow best practices like that?

And the only reason to move them lower is for the sake of appearance??? In a laundry room?

Move them up and put in new ganged lever valves that can be turned on and off easily with 1/4 turn. or better yet, automatic sensing valves.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

That's odd .... lindsey supports cutting a notch in the countertop to facilitate reaching the valves but disparages me for promoting the same idea in general. :-)

Regards to quickly moving the washer for access if a problem occurs ... washers are not on wheels and frontloaders are quite heavy.

Adding an "automatic shutoff valve" or supply hoses that incorporate a flood-protection device helps to a point but that's another mechanical/electrical device in the chain that itself can fail. Flood-safe hoses are known for being incompatible with some of the newer washers that fill in brief/repeated spurts or have inlet valves that run at low flow rates ... the flood-device senses the low flow rate as a leak and shuts down.

• kriii
    5 years ago

Ours will be above the washer so they can be easily accessed in an emergency.

• Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the additional feedback. So, my husband consulted a friend who is a master plumber. He said that in his experience what generally leaks with a washer is the actual valve shut offs. So, having those easily accessible is not the real solution to a water leak. The best solution (also what a poster mentioned above) is to have an additional shut off valve for the room in a different location - for us, this would be in our basement. In his opinion, the shut off valves installed for your washer are really there to promote ease of changing out a washer and not for emergency shut off.

• Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will post some after photos but here is the current state of my laundry room. Everything is out in the open so we are repurposing cabinets from our kitchen renovation and adding a countertop. Wish us luck!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Wow guys take it easy!

A homeowner pulling out a washer a few inches or feet even to turn off a valve is a much different scenario from a renter having to move a fridge to do it!

The only reason I suggested the notched counter is because I personally would be too dam* lazy to repair and repaint the drywall. Since that annoyance will be happening anyway my advice changed.

I see the professional plumber supports that opinion.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    5 years ago

Oh my. I've been a homeowner long enough to know that just about anything can happen, even those things we'd never imagined. I've had shut offs under a bathroom sink and a kitchen sink in a 1925 house that wouldn't turn off the water. Shut offs in the laundry that would, but they would drip for several days after turning the water back on which led to avoiding ever turning them off. ;0)

My plumber replaced those laundry room faucet handles to single lever ball valves. Red handles. They were visible, not attractive and worked like a dream.

In this house, I have conventional valves. 1955 era. I can reach them and want it that way. I don't always remember when leaving for a few days to turn them off, but those times I do remember, I can.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

upon reading some about these shut off valves, there seem to be varying opinions and no conclusive statements about what those valves are for. Of course, they are for shutting off the water - but just for when repairs are being made or a new machine installed or for when there is a water emergency???

Best practice is to shut off the water supply after you have finished doing laundry. Back on again when you need to do laundry again. Of course, most people don't do that, myself included. However, anytime we leave for vacation, I shut off the water supply to the washer.

So, my husband consulted a friend who is a master plumber. He said that in his experience what generally leaks with a washer is the actual valve shut offs.

No doubt true. Quite often because those cheap valves with stems and washers were installed. Quality quarter turn ball valves are the way to go and pretty much standard anymore, I think.

• Sammy
    5 years ago

How/where does your washing machine drain? It doesn’t look like there’s a stand pipe in the same box as the water supply.

Btw, your Doberman is beautiful! I had one when I was a child. :)

Leah Harvey thanked Sammy
  • jwvideo
    5 years ago

Seems to me that readily accessible shut-offs in the basement are the only way to make this work and would be worth doing even if the box were not being lowered beneath the upcoming countertop.

I do agree that this "is a much different scenario from a renter having to move a fridge to do it. [i.e., reaching a shutoff]" A freestanding fridge at least has wheels and places to grab for the leverage needed to move it. No wheels on a washer and dryer and no good place to grab when surrounded by cabinets and covered by a countertop as Leah will be doing. That front load washer also may weigh as much or more than the fridge, as Dadoes points out. No way to get them out of the way quickly in the event of a problem, but "quickly" would not be a big issue with accessible shut-offs in a basement.

Without additional shutoffs accessible in the basement, we'd have to start by pulling the dryer all the way out, first. It is much the lighter appliance and less likely to be damaged when grabbing the inside front wall as handholds for pulling it completely out from under and away from the counter. With it completely removed, there would be the access needed to reach the back of the washer for " pulling out a washer [the] few inches" to get enough space to reach behind it to turn the shutoffs. All the while, the burst hose, fitting or valve is leaking/spraying water back there. Not a pretty picture.

Much better to install a couple shutoffs where accessible -- makes it easier to shorten the lines, if needed, when dropping the outlet/drain box. Could even be an easy DIY retrofit if you have PEX plumbing with exposed lines in a basement beneath the laundry room.

FWIW, every bit of research I've done over the years tracks what the Dadoes said about automatic sensing valves and leak protection shut-offs in hoses.

As for "take it easy," I might point out that Sophie would not have done so here. :>) Sorry, couldn't resist, but bluntness certainly was her forte.

In sum, adding shutoffs in the basement is a fine idea whether or not Leah decides to conceal the hookup box behind the washer and beneath the counter.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Yes, bluntness was her forte. Not emotional personal responses to the many opinions she thought were dead wrong. And she never, ever ever, replied to anyone by name even when they called her out rather forcefully. She didn't even take any notice of them as far as I've ever seen. I didn't agree with her delivery most of the time but I do miss her knowledge.

@dadoes I'm sorry that I gave you the impression that I was being disparaging in my comment. It wasn't personal; I have a different opinion and shared it with a quote to provide perspective. There was no disrespect or disparagement intended.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

The one problem with relying on shut off valves in the basement is the flying run down the basement stairs to shut down a full-force running water emergency. Better to have them easily and quickly accessible, aesthetics be damned.

What we now call 'laundry' rooms used to be called 'utility' rooms. Utility rooms were a lot more sensible.

• J B
    5 years ago

Sophie's response to someone asking how to hide the valves. Posted June 12, 2014.

PRO

Sophie Wheeler

This is one of the most dysfuctional trends that's currently being done. Your machines need to be able to be moved in and out regularly for maintenance and inspection of your hoses. In addition, the height of your standpipe is mandated by code so that it will drain properly. There is nothing wrong with using the top of the machines as a folding surface, but if you feel the need to pretty it up, make sure that you use a light enough surface that you can move out of the way easily when you need too.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    5 years ago

Am I they only one that turns off the water every time I finish doing laundry? I have high quality quarter turn ball valves.

• kriii
    5 years ago

I never thought about turning off water after each wash until earlier this year, when the water hose attached to a relative's machine sprung a leak and sent a high pressure stream water was shooting through the room for who knows how long before it was discovered. Carpet was ruined and many items were thrown out, not to mention the headache of clean up. Because of that, we began shutting off the water after each wash. Having access above the washing machine makes this easier.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

The only family I have ever known who turned off the water after each wash had a rickety old machine with broken controls. It was the only way to stop the washer from filling!

I never ever heard that this was recommended.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Turning the supply taps off between uses (after washday is done, not between every load on a given day) has long been recommended by machine manufacturers. And, yes I do it.

• hcbm
    5 years ago

I do it also. I have electronic cut offs mounted at the front of my very tight laundry closet and at the end of each laundry day I turn them off. Also I have a water alarm under the washer and dishwasher. I will be adding water alarms for the fridge and each sink soon. It only takes one flood to understand the power of water. I also turn off the main water valve when I leave my home for any overnight trip.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

"hcbm: I also turn off the main water valve when I leave my home for any overnight trip."

I do that. Easy. I'm on a well, the tank is in my garage, one valve shuts off the outflow.

I once had an incident in which the tube on a toilet valve inside the tank cracked/split, spewing water up toward the tank lid which was spraying out on the wall. Happened one morning when I was >>>>>this<<<<< close to walking out the door to work. Had just used the toilet, heard water running seemingly longer than it should for the tank should refill and *fortunately* I went back to check.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I have never heard of shutting off the water at the end of laundry day. The things I learn on this site. :)

My washer leaks sometimes and we've appreciated having the valves somewhat accessible behind the lightweight formica counter whenever we've investigated the issue. If I were you, Leah, I would move them UP. Ease of concealment and flush counter.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your room done. It's bound to look great with that lovely window streaming in natural light. Good luck!

Leah Harvey thanked tartanmeup
  • wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

I know the answer is form over function but I never understood putting a counter top over machines that already have a clean easily wiped down surface put there by the manufacturer. I don't believe I've ever seen a topless washer or dryer. Never going to be a problem for me since I cannot imagine using my front loader without a pedestal. We hope to maybe do an inside laundry in the future. My valve box will be to the side of the washer. Have no desire to climb over the washer to reach it. Pulling out a washer is no small task either. A front loader can weigh from 175 to 250 pounds. That's dead weight. No rollers like a fridge has. And that is without a load of wet towels or jeans in it when they are most likely to need it. Murphy's law.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

If I were you, Leah, I would move them UP.

Total agreement with you, Tartanmeup. All the more so because Leah's laundry room looks like it has real wood flooring.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

Paint it the same color as the walls and it will disappear into the wall.

I like this idea!

I know the answer is form over function but I never understood putting a counter top over machines that already have a clean easily wiped down surface put there by the manufacturer.

'Cause Pinterest.

• Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am loving all the feedback and we are making adjustments to our plans almost daily. The valve box was moved to be behind the washer & additional shut-offs added in basement. My DIY guy is going to make the entire countertop easily removable to allow for ease of access to the behind the washer shut-offs as well as if/when we need to move the washer and dryer.

2 coats of Naval by Sherwin Williams. · More Info

And, I do agree that form should follow function but... I want the whole enchilada!!! Cabinets being painted and the old subfloor will be turned into our countertops.

• Leah Harvey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Sammy Hey! There is a standpipe in the box but it is flush with the bottom so hard to see.

The doberman rarely leaves my space so he ends up in lots of my photos. He is the best!

• malba2366
    5 years ago

There are electric valves with auto cut off you can use if you have to have them inaccessible.

http://www.getfloodstop.com/

Leah Harvey thanked malba2366
  • Colesy 111
    3 years ago

I am thinking of adding a counter and cabinets to me laundry and have the same issue. I would prefer to leave the valves where they are. Does anyone have a picture of a notched countertop to make room for the valves?