SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diane0905

I would love suggestions for remodeling my kitchen

diane0905
5 years ago

Please offer any suggestions you may have! I need ideas. :)

We bought a mountain home that was completed in 2014. The only thing I don't love is the kitchen. I really don't love the kitchen, which his my favorite room in a house. I don't want to knock down walls, so my plan is to take the cabinets to the ceiling, reface the cabinets to a more shaker style door, cover the range hood, change the counter tops, back splash, hardware, replace the refrigerator with one that can have wood panels on the front to match the cabinetry, re-do the wet-bar area to the left of the fridge, and sand the floors (heart pine) and have a matte oil rubbed finish on the floors instead. Oh, and I'm also removing the cabinets on either side of the kitchen windows (the uppers because they cover the window trim) and putting in free floating shelves.

I'm torn about the peninsula. I plan to keep it because I want seating in the kitchen. There's not room for an island. The counter top of the peninsula is wormy chestnut, which is reclaimed wood as the wormy chestnut is now extinct I believe (since 1920.) If I keep it, I will replace that sink with an under mount. The sinks in the kitchen are hammered copper. I'm changing the pendant lights.

My plan is to paint the cabinets a smokey green and use a white quartzite with veining for the counters and backsplash.

Should I keep the wormy chestnut, or get rid of it and just run the quartzite all the way around on the counter and backsplash? Any other suggestions for the kitchen? The house is 4,200 square feet and the kitchen just doesn't seem up to par. I'll post photos of this very brown kitchen and the kitchen I've been ogling for color and counter top inspiration. Plus, there's one more softer green kitchen I'm posting because I can't decide whether I will be bold or go soft with the green.

This is the softer green:

The current state of the mountain kitchen. No walk in pantry either -- the cabinet/pantry is on the far left in the photo below.

My favorite. This is Farrow & Ball's Green Smoke. I've looked and think Benjamin Moore's Caldwell Green is closest to it.

The wormy chestnut live edge peninsula. I'd cut that curve off on the end and I'm definitely nixing the fridge at the end of the peninsula.

There's a counter top microwave over to the right of the fridge. I'm getting an under counter microwave drawer.

Comments (24)