SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
francesca_v123

Cape Cod Upstairs HELP

Francesca V
5 years ago

My husband and I are looking to buy our first home in NJ. The house is in one of our favorite towns (small beach town), and is the only house that has come on the market that we can really afford in this town. My husband and I love it, but I am having difficulty getting over the fact that there are 2 bedrooms downstairs, and only 1 bedroom upstairs (especially since we are hoping to soon start a family). It has a typical cape layout (approx. 1400 sq. feet), with shed dormers in the front and 1 small dormer in the back where the bathroom is, so the back wall is slanted. The upstairs has one fairly large room, and then on the other side is the washer and dryer, storage, and small office. I would like to move the washer and dryer downstairs, and then split the upstairs (somehow) into 3 bedrooms...1 master and 2 smaller rooms. Has anyone ever done this successfully without building up or adding additional dormers on the back of the house? I am having a lot of trouble finding pictures and ideas, and hope that this can be done.

I have also attached the dimensions of the upstairs of the house. They were provided to us by the current owner and are somewhat difficult to understand. It's all we have...I'm sorry!

Thank you!

Comments (5)