SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcc371

2019 New Year’s SEED Swap

mcc371
5 years ago

Welcome to the 2019 New Year’s Seed Swap

Details for Swap

1) Everyone is welcome to participate if you have 5 packets to send in or if you have 300 packets to send in you are all welcome to participate, its a lot of fun.

2) You have plenty of time to gather seeds and send them in, they are not due in until February 1st. I will have them back in the mail by end of February.

3) Please send a return mailing label and enough postage to return your new fresh seeds back to you, or if you want to just insert a new envelope with postage this is fine.

4) Please make a list of what you send in, this will assist me so you will receive all different ones in return.

5) You will receive at least as many packets of seed that you send in unless, you have plenty and want to donate some to newbies.

6) I will try to reward those that send in rarer, exotic, and named varieties when possible, Please send no more than 15 of the same variety.

7) Please private message me with your address. So I can get you on my spreadsheet.

8) This is to be fun, and you should receive a lot of new varieties that you don't have, and it is mostly dependent on you , if you send lots of the more common varieties you will get similar in return.. So sign up today, and join in all the fun, sharing and enjoying seeds from all over the country.

9) You can list your preferences, flowers, vegetables, mixed, herbs, etc.

10) If you have questions please ask. I will be happy to answer them.

Please Mail to :

Tammy McClearen

Box 1921

Seminole, Texas 79360

i will I’ll be posting some games as well so stay tuned for them.

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!

Comments (381)

• midwestfarmwife
    5 years ago

We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow, but I saw some daffodils popping up out of the ground, so spring can't be far off. We always look for the first robin to tell us spring is here. Tom, are those Asiatic lilies? I love lilies!

• Oladon
    5 years ago

Has anyone gotten their packages yet? I'm really excited!

• Related Discussions

NEWBIE SEED PROJECT - Seeds for Newbies - FEBRUARY 2019

Q

Comments (30)
    Hi my user name is leslie_cunningham3 My real name is Leslie Cunningham I’m in 6b zone I am new to gardening in Kansas. We have REALLY SANDY SOIL. I had a garden growing up in Louisiana with my father. I was miltary wife and grew flowers only. When I moved to KS in early 90’s I have had gardens off and on but have always had purchase plants from stores. I had some success only when used chemicals and use potting soil. We have huge problems with insects and gophers. Last yr I lost over 3/4 of my garden to aphids squash bugs and gophers. Each yr I struggle with the decision to continue gardening. Which why Im super happy to have found this site. I did not see a seed exchange for KS on here nor have I found any local seed exchange. So this year I like to grow from seeds. I am looking for veggies herbs and flowers. Perennials and herlooms would be great as I would like to try organic gardening. I also like to learn how to gather my own seeds. I would like to send $ through PayPal I have edit my profile to include mgs from anyone. I have verified my email address and sent 2 emai to Val ( I forgot to include my mailing address in the 1st mgs)l. I have not listed veggies or seeds I have as I’m just starting out and I would like any kind of seeds available.
    ...See More

FOTESS February 2019- Simple and Sweet Swap

Q

Comments (107)
    I have to apologize to you ladies! I have been very under the weather and haven't posted in few days! I enjoyed hosting for all of you! I received my package from Lisa! Hershey mini chocolate bars, absolutely adorable card, and seeds! Thank you somuch! I hope everyone has received their package! I will mail.prizes! Hopefully tomorrow! Sorry late in sending! Thank you all! I had fun!
    ...See More

San Antonio Fall Plant Swap Oct. 12, 2019

Q

Comments (207)
    Well, as you all know our wonderful plant swap has been put on hold. But while waiting for things to settle down so we can meet again this is a fun read from Felder Rushing's blog; Plant Swap Treasures: Pssst! I got jewels of Opar and a string of pearls… wanna make a deal? Among other neat things he talks about is the back story of the common name for Talinum paniculatum. Wow! I'm a Tarzan fan from the old comic book days and I never knew that! Happy gardening! :-)
    ...See More

2019 Fall Swap - Sept. 21

Q

Comments (17)
    I don't think anyone knows exactly what they will be bringing to the swap just yet. You are more than welcome to start a new thread. I would love to start both blackberry and raspberry canes, thank you.
    ...See More
  • Syd Vang
    5 years ago

Got mines earlier today! Thank you Tammy for the treat and handling this seed swap! And Thank you to midwestfarmwife for some special extra seed packets sent for me! I’m so excited to try and grow some new varieties of food and flowers!

• PaperFinch
    5 years ago

I got my package today! Thank you for hosting this, Tammy! Lots of fun new seeds to try.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    5 years ago

I received my package today. Thanks Tammy for hosting and to all in the swap!

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    5 years ago

Received my package today, too!! So sorry excited to try everything. Thank you, Tammy!

• nottougly
    5 years ago

Got my seeds. Thanks Tammy

• Zeak Rice
    5 years ago

I haven't got mine yet so got on here to see why? Seattle isn't that far! Ohio, Ozarks, etc. I checked with post office and they said 2-7 days from Texas to Seattle so I dismissed 2 n 3 days but hoped that 4 days [Friday] March 1st.. It's now march 4th and not here. This is HARD but I see others are just now getting them so must be patient. O WOE IS ME!!! I had visions of the pack getting lost in the mail OR somehow getting slashed open by something and my seeds all over, etc. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! THIS IS DIFFICULT!!!

• helenb1949
    5 years ago

Got my seeds today. Love my selections. Now the weather just needs to cooperate and I can get started. Thanks for doing this Tammy. It must have been a lot of work.

• Annette H
    5 years ago

I'm with you @Zeak Rice! LOL guess we'll have to wait patiently.

I think the packages were sent out at separate times/groups so maybe that's why others have gotten theirs first. ^_^ I'm in CA so maybe the West Coast takes longer?

• tom jones
    5 years ago

Got my seeds today. Loved them all. Best swap I have had on here. Please let me know when you do another one. Thanks for sending such neat seeds in.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    5 years ago

Hey Tammy!

I got my package of seeds today and am enjoying looking through all the goodies you sent me. Thank you so much!

What an awesome job you have done for all of us - this is so appreciated! And thanks also for the game prize packs.

Wish I could give you a big hug!

Susie

• Oladon
    5 years ago

Ooh, you guys who've received them are making it that much harder to remain patient for mine! :)

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love all the comments and you are all welcome. Yes I am sending them in groups. Because my post office is small and they get mad at me if I bring too many packages and hold up the line. I have tried going at different times and nothing seems to be a good time. So I try to mail 5-10 each day. The lines are long and they only have most of the time 1 worker and 1 just taking slips for pickup. But yours will arrive just be patient. .. lol! I know how that is I am always anxious when I know my packs are coming and it’s like Christmas all over again!

if you haven’t gotten your postage to me do it soon please so your pack can get on its way.

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

All the packages have now been mailed and are on there way so If you don’t receive Yours by Monday as there is a few today that said Saturday deliveries. Please let me know.

if you owe postage please PayPal to tammynjay at hotmail . com.

I will be going thru my receipts as I have some that overpaid on postage and I want to get your change to you.

It is Happy Gardening Time!! With all the seeds you have received you are probably thinking where do I start.

Pick a seed or go thru and if one is something you haven’t heard of do a little research. I always learn something new or a recipe pops up that I makes me wanna grow tons of things...LOL!

Have a beautiful day Everyone!!

Tammy

• Annette H
    5 years ago

Thanks for doing all this, Tammy! We all really appreciate the time and effort you put in. Sounds like it was a large number of people participating in the swap. Sorry to have to make you do multiple trips to your post office. ^_^

IMO any extra postage should be yours to keep for all your efforts. I think I sent in a few extra stamps. But if we owe you any postage, please do let us know!

I'll be stalking my mailbox for the rest of the week. :P

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There is a lot that goes into these swaps But I love to do them because I make new garden friends and I get to share my passion for gardening with them.

Well I think in the fall when I do this swap again I am going to go back to the post office I went to today instead of mine they were really friendly and had 4 workers there and I was in and out in no time. Wished I had gone there to begin with but we know now..

Anyone receive any interesting seeds that they can’t wait to plant??

• Oladon
    5 years ago

If anyone got any seeds from me that you're curious about, I'm happy to answer questions, or you can check my spreadsheet for just about everything I know about them (including package directions and such).

• tom jones
    5 years ago

I always send extra postage and I want whoever does the mailing to keep it and use it for any shortage they may have. If they have extra I want them to buy an RC cola and moon pie and have a good snack. They do so much for us they should not be out a penny of their own money.I have a lot of items I was so happy to get and can not wait to paste. I had surgery on my lower back today. He spent three and a half hours on it. I guess he found a few things wrong. so it may be a few day until I can get back in the greenhouse.

• midwestfarmwife
    5 years ago

Ditto on the postage Tammy. Don't worry about sending any back to me if I over paid. It's 16 degrees here this morning, so I'll be really cheered up when my seeds arrive - yeah! Tom, feel better soon. My brother-in-law had back surgery a few yrs. ago and had to take it easy for awhile. Wishing you a speedy recovery and lots of enjoyable time with your gardening this year.

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tom I hope you get better soon, take it easy for awhile. Things like that are slow to heal. RC Cola - I haven't had one of those in years. I use to drink them but now it is Dr. Pepper occasionally and everyday I drink Southern Sweet Tea.

I went to Lowe's yesterday to get away from my housework..haha! I bought red, yellow, and white onion plants, some red potatoes, and garlic bulbs to plant this week. I also bought some strawberry plants. And of course I visited the seed rack and only bought herbs- lemon balm & mint. I walked around and looked at all the pretty flowers in pots they had. It is still 30 degrees here so not sure how those plants are gonna make it being outside. I didn't stay out there long so didn't buy any of them. Then I arrived home to a box on my porch and my aunt had sent me a portobello mushroom kit and lemongrass....ok?! I have never grown these but I am up for the challenge. Any advise? have any of you grown these??

• PaperFinch
    5 years ago

I've grown lemongrass! It's so easy and smells amazing! I just planted mine in a large pot with some chicken compost and it thrived in part-full sun. It's wonderful minced up in Thai curry.

Also, thank you again for all the seeds. I got Japanese Maple seeds in there, and am currently researching how to germinate it. I've always wanted to grow one. :)

• Oladon
    5 years ago

I've never been able to get lemongrass to do more than just barely germinate -- I'd love to grow it, because it's lovely in tea and curry!

• Zeak Rice
    5 years ago

Still not here!!! [as of 3/6] Where oh where have all my seeds gone, all this time?

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Have patience Zeak they will get there. You should have them by the weekend.

Sorry i couldn’t send everyone at once as there was over 30 pkgs.

well as as for the lemongrass and mushrooms I am gonna research them and hope they grow. My aunt called today and said she grew lemongrass last year and would put the lemongrass on wet washcloths and roll them and put in refrigerator and use them on hot days when outside to keep cool. She said the scent is Amazing!! I can’t wait to try it.

• Cindy Henry
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Sitenotworking

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am so very sorry Zeak, please have patience they have all been mailed. you should receive it before or by the weekend. I couldn’t mail everyone the same day as there was over 40 pkgs to go out.

So as for the lemongrass and mushrooms I am going to try to grow them. My aunt says it is easy. I talked to her today and she takes lemongrass and puts it on a wet washcloth and rolls them and then Sticks them in ziplock bag and puts in refrigerator and then on hot days when working out in yard she uses them around her neck and wipes her face. She said the scent is amazing and it is so refreshing!!

Thanks Oladon and paper finch for letting me know how it was for you growing it.

• patrob
    5 years ago

My USPS app says my package was mailed today and should arrive on Friday!

• midwestfarmwife
    5 years ago

I've grown lemongrass from seed and gave it to a friend. Several yrs. ago I started Shitake mushroom plugs on logs outside. They produced for a few yrs. I would like to start Morel mushrooms in our woods near an oak tree.

Paperfinch, I sent Bloodgood Japanese Maple seeds if that is what you rec'd. I've grown around 25 various ones from seeds, and the trees are from 4'-6' tall now. I was really wanting one that turned peach/orange in the fall, and much to my delight, there is one that turned that color last fall. The others are crimson and a beautiful bright red. When they were small, I grouped them altogether in a bed, now they are so big that they are difficult to transplant.

You need to cold stratify the seeds this coming fall. Soak them in water until they sink to the bottom. I put mine in little ziplock baggies with a damp mix of coconut coir, vermiculite, and potting soil, then into the fridge until spring when many started to germinate. If they don't germinate, do not throw away as they make take 2 or even 3 yrs.

When mine sprouted I put them in small pots out of the hot sun. When they were about 8"-12" tall that fall, I set them in the ground. Here is a picture of the peach/orange one.

• PaperFinch
    5 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! The seeds I have are "Seiryu." so will be a little different. Thanks for the tip on germinating them!

• Janet
    5 years ago

My seeds arrived! Best birthday present ever! I'm going to start some under lights this weekend. Thanks so much, everyone!

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Happy Birthday Janet!

Have fun and Happy Gardening!

• midwestfarmwife
    5 years ago

My seeds arrived today and brightened up this dreary day. Thank you to Tammy and thank you to Oladon and Annette for the special seeds marked for me. It will be so fun to try all the wonderful veggies and flowers!

• Oladon
    5 years ago

Yay! I hope you enjoy them and they all grow very well for you, midwestfarmwife!

• jdmom78
    5 years ago

thank you tammy and thank you everyone! i got my giant packet of seeds today. i love love love the variety and dont know where to begin! thank you for the prizes too. you are the best host tammy! thanks for doing this for us.

• Oladon
    5 years ago

Mine just came!!

So many new and exciting things to grow! Thank you Tammy, and everyone else who participated!

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Next time a teen texts you you can talk in your garden language too..

• Johan Doubell
    5 years ago
    I also want to thank Tammy for organizing the swap I dont know if I could manage something like this, also everyone that participated I am looking forward to a great veggie season this year.
  • patrob
    5 years ago

Thank you, Tammy, for hosting this swap, and all of you who sent in seeds. I know how much work a big swap is! I received several varieties I had been wanting and others I know I will enjoy trying,

If whoever sent in seeds labeled "hibiscus" and "rose of sharon" could tell me more about them, I'd appreciate it.

• skyblue52
    5 years ago

looks like the year of the carrots. LOve to try new varieties. also starting my coleus today Thank you to Tammy. and everyone that sent in. This was great!!!!

• mtprairiewinds
    5 years ago

Hi Tammy, haven't seen mine yet. Do you have a delivery confirmation I can track?

• Annette H
    5 years ago

I'm crossing my fingers that mine arrives tomorrow! :)

• tom jones
    5 years ago

I got my seed thanks a ton

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mtprairiewinds and Annette - Did you receive it.? I will track them and see as you should have gotten it already.

• Annette H
    5 years ago

Got mine today! Thanks so much, Tammy, for doing all this and making it so fun...and even for a personalized note! Thanks for all the goodies (especially the Park Seed prize!). Thanks to everyone who participated in the seed swap and a special thanks to Oladon and Midwest Farm Wife for the special packets! Can't wait to start planting soon. ^_^

• mtprairiewinds
    5 years ago

Received mine as well, thanks! I appreciate your time hosing this.

• elsie narron
    5 years ago

Maci N (zone 7)

Tammy,I have been looking for a seed swap on line.I will be right back here looking for you 1/1 2020.THANK-YOU.

• mcc371
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Elsie i am planning to have one again in the fall of this year probably will be October so be watching then.

• Paris Davis-Reed
    3 years ago

Hey Tammy, and Happy New Year! Are you doing a seed swap this year 2021?? I'm looking forward to Spring and getting back out in the garden!!

• mcc371
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes i am, it is posted right now.

The name is 2021 New Year New Beginnings Seed Swap. We would love to have everyone join .

Here is the link:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6048008/2021-new-year-new-beginnings-seed-swap#n=45