SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggieru

How to balance/arrange home office in living room, please!

maggieru
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I work from home and don't have a dedicated office, so have my little "work corner" that shares the space with my living room. I am flexible on budget but cannot make any permanent changes or paint (renter). I like my current industrial vibe, though it's currently a bit "blah" with all the white space and could use some more personality. Full pictures and layout/dimensions in the album: https://imgur.com/a/OAmenfQ

My main concerns are:

1. I would like more of the floor covered/protected. Larger rug? Or layered rugs? Or just a separate rug for the office space? (the fuzzy white one is for a dog if the toy box didn't give it away)
  2. Ideally I would love to have my desk facing out the window versus the current bulletin board but as you can see in the dimensions in the album, it just doesn't quite work (I tried and felt cramped on that side of the living room). The bulletin board is also probably going to go at some point - just didn't have a better place to put it. Plus, I also like the current set up of couch facing fireplace - but not committed to it, especially as it gets warmer.
  3. Tall ceilings - I'm thinking of getting a larger bookshelf where the current tall skinny one stands and moving the skinny one on the wall between the couch and fireplace. I did this before to make room for the Christmas tree and liked how it occupied the space/height of the wall. Otherwise, maybe a large piece of art or several?
  4. Don't love the chair — kind of bulky and dark for my taste. Leaning towards something like this, just not that color: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40426652/
  5. I also have considered upgrading my loveseat to a full sofa or corner sectional since it's attractive but very uncomfortable to nap/snuggle on.

Living room side

Office Side

Side by side

View from couch

Current arrangement

Previous arrangement I tried that just didn't quite work.

Would love any tips, feedback or recommendations!!

Comments (10)