SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_iglesias

Need advice for painting my living room walls. Don't want the brown.

Jenna van der Velden
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Comments (118)

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

I used the SW visualizer which is on their site that Flo linked above. Yes, you can go there to try colors. It is easy.

Just keep in mind you will still need to try samples. The visualizer is very good for getting an idea of how you want the color to look as a starting place.

The lighter is Mindful Gray and the darker Roycroft Pewter.

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Flo, I agree on a black and white paint of art. I have this lovely painting and I quite love it here. I will however raise it higher and to the center as its placement is not proportional. Then il'l remove the accessories at the bottom

• Related Discussions

I don't want to be judged....just need some advice

Q

Comments (16)
    A few years ago we had the same problem. My nieces and nephews were starting to get partners and get married, have kids etc so that demands for their time on Christmas Day increased. We had our Christmas Dinner on Saturday (the 8th) with everybody but what we have also started doing in having a cookie contest. Everyone makes a batch of cookies and then brings them anonymously into the house. Someone is appointed the judge and both taste and looks (how decorated a cookie is) are taken into consideration. We have a trophy and my sister takes care of getting the name of the winner engraved onto the trophy. Then we spend the rest of the evening eating cookies. If your family is actually staying with you I don't know if that would work out but it has turned out to be a really fun thing to do and everyone looks forward to it.
    ...See More

Don't want to stay true to my house's style .. Advice on exter. update

Q

Comments (2)
    I suggest you post this on the Home Decorating forum. You will get alot more feedback than you'll get here. A colonial is not a craftsman. A bungalow is a 1 or 1 1/2 story house - not a 2 story. Craftsman homes don't have attached garages. There will be lots you can do to update this house. However, don't force it into something it's not. And don't be married to the trendy non-colors that some say are popular today ie greige. Colors of nature are always best for homes in wooded settings. head on over to Home Decorating:)
    ...See More

Help! I don’t know how to make my long living room cozy

Q

Comments (27)
    What Beverly shows you works well and looks terrific to start. The only thing I would change is the TV - change it to what katinparadise and rthawk described. The console your TV is on now is contributing to the visual clutter - and their solution will eliminate that and clear up that corner area. Your room looks so much better with the sectional moved to the long wall. That sofa table Bevs shows really works with that end of the sofa - so you can add a lamp and make the room even more cozy. I love the curtains Bev shows and the way to hang them so they don't crowd the window (high) and full. Good luck, have fun with your new room! You are on the right track OP.
    ...See More

I don't want to overdo by ovens! Need advice -Speed, Steam, Conv, etc.

Q

Comments (16)
    @b Carey Funny you say that!!! I came close to doing that! But instead have decided to do a 30” fridge/over double freezer drawers (side by side) so the top of both units are fridge and the 2 drawers on both sides are freezer. This gives me about the same cu ft as the 36” column fridge. The 4 freezer drawers are plenty for me. (I also have a fridge/freezer drawers undercounted at coffee/smoothie bar that will stock frozen fruit and fresh veggies or almond milk for smoothies. Last minute change once I realized how small the cu ft on a 30” column is!!! So glad I compared to current one now. My current standard GE fridge/freezer is 15.7/9.7 cu. it would have only gone to 17/15 if I did 30”/30” but now with change it will be 21/10cuft. Hoping it’s a smart move!
    ...See More
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo, If you don’t mind me saying, I don’t think a black wall is a good idea. I already have too much black. First i have two black pianos and I have a guest room that’s black. the thing is my living room is divided into 3 parts, paino space, fireplace lounge and the tv area. So having a black paino place, black fire place, then a different color in the living room doesn’t really blend in my opinion, expecially because its an open plan space cleverly dividided if you get my drift.. I don’t want the tv area also black. That will be too much/too dark and will suck up the space/make it appear smaller than it actually is, in my opinion. Again, not trying to say you’re wrong, but a black open space for accessories works for me, but not walls. Velvets and heavy Mud cloth pillows I can definitely do. Infact, every season, different colors. Like brighter pillows during summertime. The carpets i'll definitely change, all of them, after i decide on my wall colors.

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Opposite the fireplace is this other brown wall which need to get rid of. so maybe keep the fireplace white and then repaint this wall. Or vice versa, keepe this wall white and repaint fireplace wall

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

Jenna,

When you came to Houzz for advice you were tired of the brown, but I haven't seen where you said what you wanted from this room, how you use this room, what emotional response you want to envoke when you walk into this room.

You were brave with color when you selected the dark brown and the deep red in the adjoining room.

You have great architectural features that you used to bring in drama and color into your space.

White on white with black is a very sophisticated look. With pops of color it can be a very fun space. But it will never be a relaxing, warm space.

I read that you love deep purple reds and blue greens. Those colors can be dramatic, or relaxing, they can be beautiful with taupes (which virtually no designer will recommend). Taupe has the pink or purple undertones that don't allow you to use any yellow beiges.

If you are not looking for highly sophisticated or super fun, you may tire of white on white quickly.

Here are some inspiration pictures using blue greens and taupes with white that create a relaxed atmosphere. You could replace the yellows in the second picture with deep purple wine reds or a smokey purple.

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Jennifer - Thanks. What im trying to achieve is cozy, homely.. i was able to achieve that with brown for many years so now i want a cozy color, not a shock effect.. I want to be able to come home and feel very relaxed. with the bedrooms i can play around but with the living room i want a very cozy feeling hence i thought grey would achieve that, depending on which grey.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Like the deeper gray suggested by

Jenna Iglesias

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

I don't envision black and white as cozy.

A grey blue green can be very warm and inviting. It can be far more subdued than the pictures I posted. I was playing off your love for blue greens.

I am going to see if I can find a picture - far different style than your home, but a color that may work for you.

Jenna van der Velden thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes Jennifer, the black and white is for sure not cozy.. Thanks so much, look forward to it. :)

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

The color I am thinking about is actually the dining room color (Left of the livingroom.) Blue green gray. Devine Color Moss.

Here are a couple of other images with this color

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

A color like this is going to be far less bold than your brown and red, but still adds a touch of color that adds that makes you feel secure without bringing you down.

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

Do you know that when we say we feel gray or blue that we actually see the world as more gray.

When we feel depressed our levels of dopamine are low. Dopamine is also a retinal neuroreactor so lower levels also change how the rods and cones in our retinas react to light. When it is low we see less color and more gray. When you feel blue it isn't turquoise, it is blue gray sad. Not sure that pure blue gray, black and white decore is good for our emotional health.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    OK Jenna - this is helpful and part of the process is eliminating options. I was responding to your desire for fail safe options. I am on road but i will put a new color palette together for you later today.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I have a Blue Hue family group of colors for you but the photos won’t come out well at night. I will send tomorrow when i can get better photos. They are from the BM AFFINITY paint deck. Nice variety but they all work nicely together so you can pick and choose what appeals most. Be back in am.
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much Flo. Looking forward to seeing the colors.

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Ladies, what do you think about this color?

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

Honest opinion is that the color is very industrial. Not what I would use to create a warm and cozy space, but I don't have to live in your home.

You still have the warmth of the wood floors and because of the strong contrast the wood floors are now central to the design, so the room is not entirely devoid of warmth.

My question for you is "Do you LOVE the color?" If it makes your heart sing, then you should go for it.

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jennifer - You are absolutely right. Way too industrial. i like it but i dont love it.

what do you think of this. i like it but im not so sure. Ive just come from the store, i bought pure white so that i can paint all my walls white to have a better vision because with this brown its hard to envision in real life. white painting starts tomorrow.

https://www.littlegreene.nl/paint/collection/grey/grey-teal-226

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo- Did you manage to get the blu hues photos?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Just got them. I pulled all the "Blue Hue Family" colors from the BM Affinity color deck. The one I believe is closest to the one you posted above. I will post the photo. brb

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

paint analysis · More Info
    These are all Blue Hue Family colors from that BM Affinity paint deck.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

There aren't as many Blue Green colors, but here are those.

paint analysis · More Info
    The top one is the most gray green but still is in the Blue Green Hue Family.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

The color you posted in the photo I'm thinking is probably n the Purple Blue Hue family, but I can't tell for sure. I have been thinking about this and I believe if you did all the walls in your white, and then worked on pulling in more textures in pillows and rugs and then some additional warm woods, you would get a warmer feeling without sacrificing your contemporary look. Find a rug for the central room (with fireplace) and then pull color from the rug for one or two accent walls. When you try to pick wall color without other "references" it is difficult to do because you don't have any "benchmark" to work with.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Here is example of white walls and ceiling but the woods and the stone counter balance the whites along with textured sisal rug and velvet pillows in soft blue/purple tones. Notice the addition of black in the andirons and accent chairs. The rustic wood beams and mantel bring the warmth. So it isn't wall color, but the "accents" in wood and textures that bring the warmth.

Shelter Island Beach House · More Info
    Also notice the animal print on the little footstool. Black frames on art on mantel and beefy black candlesticks in far left corner.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Jenna, I hope you post some pics after you've painted the white everywhere. Since you are looking at Little Greene, maybe check out the complex "Livid" and say hello to Mid Azure Green from me. That's the shade that takes me to my happy place, I am sure you will find a color that does that for you. Now, maybe some well chosen accessories will work for you,maybe you need a larger dose like a wall or two.

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

Jenna, Flo and I can both give you ideas. Flo is a very talented interior designer, but the limitation for both of us is that we don't have your memories.

Flo can tell you what is popular, she can provide you great advice from a designer's standpoint.

My favorite neutral, and one that I have been using for 30+ years is one that you see designers warning people not to use. Taupe.

But I have memories from childhood of my mother dressed in her taupe suit. The jacket had 3/4 length sleaves and she wore the suit with perfectly matched taupe and white pumps. To me she looked like a movie star. When I see taupe and white it invokes feeling of the love I had of my mother. I don't care that it does not work well with yellow tans or yellow greens. Yellow tan and yellow greens don't make my heart sing.

The memories that make your heart sing can't be know by Flo or me or anyone else. You hold the key to making your home reflect what is in your heart. The most wonderful memories of your life have colors attached to them. When you see those colors you are instinctivly drawn to them. It is why designers often ask about the colors in your closet. There are other places to look for the colors that make your heart sing. Art work that you have purchased, your dinner ware, linens, bedspreads towels, vases, any decor in your home.

Here is a link to the inspiration I got from my sister when helping her pick paint colors for her home. https://www.pinterest.com/jenniferlhogan/susie/

The paint pallet used for her home was based on the clothing she loves, the furnishings, finishes art work and bedding that she had selected. It was also easy for me to help her because we are sisters and I know her style and what colors she is drawn to.

I have 2 sisters and 2 sister in laws. Our 5 homes have very different color schemes and styles.

My brother's wife Betty has decorated their home in formal white on white. Her dishes are white with silver trim (not microwave or dishwasher safe). She is very fair, blond, blue eyed, and her favorite color is white. It is a home where you must remove your shoes when you enter.

My sister Betty was a pediatrician. Her office decor was disney themed, lots of bright, primary colors. Her home is quite the opposite. Traditional, simple and mostly off whites and pastel colors. She owns Correll dinnerware because it is breakproof and light weight. (Had wrist surgery that left her wrists weak). She has dark blond/light brown hair and hazel eyes and fair skin.

Lisa is another blond/blue eyed lady. She loves cornflower blue. It makes her eyes look like blue diamonds. She has her home decorated in a country theme with yellows and blues and a few soft greens and pinks. Her dinnerwear is a simple beige stonewear with a lot of serving dishes with a red apple theme.

Susie has a tudor style home and has successfully mixed her antiques with industrial and rustic pieces for a style all her own. She has medium brown eyes and hair and olive toned skin. She loves the fall colors, muted greens with deep reds and oranges, browns and tans. She has just a touch of jewel toned blues in the mix. She has a mixed lot of vintage stoneware and italian pottery and electic pieces for dinnerware. She also has mismatched chairs around her dining table, but everything works.

I have a mid-century modern home with teak MCM furniture. I had very dark brown hair with natural red highlights, very dark brown eyes and ivory white skin. (Have lighted the hair as I get more and more gray). As I said, my neutral is taupe. My decor and colors are deep reds, purples and teal greens. I have tons of wildlife wall art. My dinnerware is Pfaltzgraff naturewood.

Each one of us has found the style and colors that we love and makes us happy. Every home is beautiful in it's own right, but I wouldn't want to live in any of my sister's homes. Actually, mine is pretty awful right now - Renovating a home I purchased from a coup[e in their 90s who hadn't renovated for a very long time. Gold grasscloth wallpaper, black and gold metal flake wallpaper, black and gold formica, bare thin tan carpet - you get the picture.

I uploaded a set of color pages from Devine Color. Devine is no longer available, but they had a limited pallet of what they called "Trend Proof" colors. Instead of looking at 3,500 colors available through Benjamin Moore you can look at 150 - 200 colors and get a good idea of what you may like. You can figure out the colors that speak to you. Not just what you want on these particular walls, but all the color that makes your heart sing. Pick out your favorite one, two or three and then 6-10 others that may not be your favorite, but still make you feel good.

Flo and I and any other person who knows color can then help you incorporate the colors you love into your home.

The more information you share about who you are and what you do and how you live the better the color selection process will work.

Here is a link to the Devine Color pages:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/117345001/list/devine-color-cards

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    What is brand of paint with name Little Greene?
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi hollybar. I for sure will post it tomorrow then we can discuss :)
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Flo. It’s this one which I sent you earlier.
  • highdesertowl
    5 years ago

I know you already discarded SW Lemongrass--I am just voting for it (or the darker Renwick Olive) one more time based on your expression for wanting something fresh, lighter, inviting, etc. I understand Flo's reservations--but I have seen this color in action in low light or Northern exposure rooms--it can be lovely, and could be beautiful as a 'neutral' but colorful, happy, backdrop to all of your white and black. It may fall on the cool side of the color wheel, but it is on the warmest edge :) Maybe it wouldn't work in your space, just don't want others to rule out taking a look

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Oh! Haha! Now I see why I didn’t recognize it. This is a regional paint. I will see if i can find it in one of my computer packages on color. Bbl.
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

@Flo Little Greene has tremendous depth of color. Somewhat akin to F&B or when you use Donald Kaufman pigments in a BM base.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    No luck. But it looks like it might be in the Green Hue family. It has an LRV of 29 so it is very low on light reflection. It shows a light kind of aqua as a harmony color and what they call “Basalt” which looks like an almost black. Probably a very deep gray. So might be worth a sample.
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

adies. i painted the white. first coat. its SOOOOOOOOOO BAD. Definitely cannot have white walls especially with white cupboards and i need to change that rug too

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Ladies, so i went with the Grey teal color that has some green and this is the result. Its just the first coat but looks like we are getting somewhere. its looking much better now and the rug and accessories i need to change. But it appears this color does work for this space..

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

I am so glad you found something you love. I think gray green is a wonderful choice.

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Jen. It is growing on me now. was quite a shock at first. What color accessories go great with grey? I think my brown doesnt work so well now.. I'll also get the velvet pillow covers you advised..

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    That is a very pretty color. Glad you like it. Adding more neutral pillows with some gold will tie the green in nicely. Might add a base in that light aqua they show as complimentary color.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    “Vase” not base! Grr.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Ideas.
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Those colors are really lovely!!! Thank you Flo!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    You are welcome. Guess it is already 2019 in NL but hope the new year brings you great joy! We lived in Brussels for 3 years and traveled all over your area! Beautiful!
    Jenna van der Velden thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Btw Flo, what color carpet should i go for?

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Happy 2019 to you too Flo! i actually decided for NYE i was going to stay home alone and paint and i did from 7pm till midnight hahah. Hope 2019 brings you happiness too and lots of love to you and your loved ones.

My parents actually live in brussels so im there often but yes, The Netherlands is beautiful. I havent been to US yet, maybe some day :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

We lived in Ukla (I may be spelling it wrong) but it was a little town outside Brussels. We didn't want to live in Waterloo where most x-pats live because we wanted to improve our French and we loved that little area. We spent Sat morning walking to the little shops for first Chocolat!! Then breads, then flowers, then meats, etc. etc. It was glorious! Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    DH days it is spelled Uccle. Or Uckel might be the Flemish spelling.
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Haha it is Uccle or Ukkel. :) give me a shout if you're visiting. I live at the Netherlands but happy to meet up in Belgium. I'll defitely update you once im done.

Btw, i had this idea of getting electric curtains instead of normal fabric one. Your thoughts? Also any ideas with the rug? do you think these work or it will be too dull? And what color curtains will match with my wall?

• Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It’s coming really beautifully
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Beautiful color. Gives you so many more options. What do you mean by “electric” curtains? Remote controlled ones?
  • Jenna van der Velden
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Flo

Yes remote controlled curtains.

I’m also Alittle worries that the brown couch will not match the walls. What colors in this living room do you think I can use to blend that? And what colors should I use for the curtains?