SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamaandsage

plumber vs tile guy. Distance of wall from stud to set valve depth

mamaandsage
5 years ago

Plumber is supposed to put in valve, diverter, and move drain Wed. He reminded me that he told me before to find out with the tile guy how far the finished wall will stick out from the stud so that they know where to set the valves otherwise they will have to charge us to do the job over again if the tile guys don't communicate correctly with them. I have been communicating with the tile guy in spanish and asked him about this and told him I wanted to say it in english. When I asked him if he understood he said "no" and when i started explaining in spanish that depending on the width of materials that's where he'll set everything. I gave him the example that some tile guys might use chicken wire and some might not, some use concrete board... He said he uses concrete board but the plumber needs more info than that so he said he'll investigate. The tile guy is licensed but I'm starting to worry. The tile guy says the plumbers know where to put the plumbing and the plumber is saying it's crazy he can't answer the question. The plumber had one of their guys call to talk in spanish but so far tile guy hasn't returned call. I need to decide early tomorrow what to do. I feel bad to put the plumber on hold cuz he booked out most of the day for us but I told him we could also get a hot water heater and a turn off valve and I'm thinking of filling his time with setting the plumbing for the vanity as he says that doesn't have to be as exact and can be changed easily later if necessary.

I was going to get the drain in the middle cuz tile guy wanted it and it was explained to me here that it's better to do so (even though I still can't wrap my arms around it 100%) but now before we're all on the same page I'm thinking of postponing the whole shower part of the job.

Does anyone know if this is a standard question a plumber would ask of a tile guy or where is this possibly going wrong? thx!

Comments (31)