SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivyloudiy

Trim Colors for Pale Oak Wall Color

Ivy Lou
5 years ago

I am 99% sure I want to paint my interior walls (open floor plan) Benjamin Moore Pale Oak. It's a very neutral, warm gray in my house in every room and lighting condition. It has a slight brown undertone and not lavender (which is good, because I want to avoid that). Just FYI: I have tried Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray and Anew Gray in the past and it made my house look like a sterile lavender gray jail cell. Hence, I found Pale Oak and pretty much no other color I have tested has been able to best it.

So, my question is, which trim color should I go with if I have my walls Pale Oak? I really don't like harsh contrast, yet I don't want to paint the trim the same color as the walls. I know Pale Oak pairs well with Simply White, but it seems so bright white. Even the popular White Dove seems too white. My windows are white vinyl, so most colors look good with them. However, I also have cellular shades that are a light beige that lean more peach than ivory, plus I have a few blackout shades that are a dark warm gray - so I would like a trim color that is very neutral and won't have any noticeable undertones that could make the wall color or the blinds turn peachy (if that makes sense).

I have a sample of BM Classic Gray and, to me, it looks a bit brighter and slightly more yellow than Pale Oak - which seems to compliment well. However, in some lighting, they almost completely blend in together and when I look up info on Classic Gray, most color consultants claim it has a slight purple/pink undertone. It's weird that I don't see that at all, but I'm worried about risking it since I had that bad experience with a warm gray that looked lavender. The other trim colors I am considering is Dove Wing and Moonlight White. I have medium brown/gray maple floors and a lot of black/dark furniture, plus white marble dining table, if that helps with color selection ideas.

Comments (20)