SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dvd94

Victorian meets rustic - design dilemma!

dvd94
5 years ago

30+ years ago we bought a charming turn of the century home in a mid-sized town. Since my (then) husband and I loved antiques, it called our name - loud and clear (pre-blight chestnut doors; hardwood floors; high ceilings, wide molding) - it was so 'us'! We spent the next 10 years or so furnishing it with period pieces (but inexpensive - since we were young and just starting out - lol), trying to bring it back, at least somewhat, to its former charm (after it was 'restored' in the 70's). Although the ol' gal probably had a part in ending the marriage (not a sad ending, we are still the best of friends :-) -- as the years went on, I also changed. I longed to leave the 'city-life' on a teeny-tiny lot and breath in the country air! 10 years ago I fell in love with a place nestled deep in the woods - and knew this was going to be my retirement home (see view from my deck!). The house was secondary at the time; I think even if it was a shack, I would have bought the house -- since I loved the location and the huge 2 car garage with a loft - lol! Well, fast forward 10 years and I am now a recent retiree - in the process of cleaning out 30 years of accumulation to downsize into my country cabin (note to self - never, ever, buy so much stuff again!!). Well, now reality is hitting me right between the eyes. Back in the 80's, homes and communities were sprouting up like trees in northeastern PA. With that came plain, simple housing - with no architectural style what-so-ever! :-). My 'cabin' is covered from floor to ceiling in T-111 - in every room. Although wonderful for those who prefer 'zero maintenance' - it sure is tiring on some level - and now I am faced with a huge design dilemma. I do plan to either pickle or paint some of the T-111 -- since I am not totally adverse to the look in this house (it is small and box-like -- no sense in making it what it isn't :-); but it's a perfect retirement home). So here is the question for all of you who have an eye for the eclectic :-)

I do plan to bring as much of my existing furniture that I can to my 'new' house -- first, because I like it; second, because it is better quality than what I could afford from today's choices; and third, my budget says 'slow down - you're retired; spend on what you need, not what you want' -lol! So first rooms first: the master bedroom - and your challenge for those who wish to embark on such a mammoth task....

My existing furniture is 1930s/40's Queen Anne style mahogany (see photos) - our first purchase for the ol' gal and although well-worn, I still love it! The master bedroom in the cabin, however, is much larger (so I'll be able to add my mirrored vanity that never fit before) - it has rustic wide-planked flooring and (what else?!) T-111 walls - lol! Came with the house is a queen sized brass bed - which I kind of like, too. The room boasts two large windows (south and east side) looking into the woods so it is plenty bright. So my challenge to you designers -- how do I tie this together? I do plan to paint the T-111 to help with this but I also think it it also needs some accessories that will bring the look (Victorian-rustic - ha ha!) together. I do not have any night-stands -- so I am now on the hunt for them; but I think those night-stands will be an integral part of bringing the look all together, so before I select them I thought now would be a good time to get some ideas on accessories, and the nightstands, before I make a mess of things. Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions!

Comments (33)