SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_38632450

I regret to annouce....

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

... that on January 1st my personal roses web site will go dark. I've pondered this for several years, and as it gets very little traffic now, and the content is pretty stale, its time to abandon it as an unnecessary expense. (It is quite expensive to keep online)

Sorry, but the time has come, and I need to cut some costs. If you want to save any of the content for personal use, you best copy it and save it somewhere. (I will still hold the copyright of all relevant materials)

Regards,

Paul Barden

Comments (110)

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

"Paul, how about writing a book on how to make rose growing easy?"

Is anyone buying new rose books these days, with the industry in such a
    serious slump?? I can't imagine a publisher would take on any book I'd
    write, and I'm certainly not investing in self-publishing. It just
    doesn't seem like much of a prospect.

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I do Paul. I buy rose books still. Bought some not long ago. But I will not lie. I don't usually buy books when they first come out. They are more expensive. I buy , some off of Amazon, but most I buy from thrift books. I cannot afford to buy a new book at $30.

• Related Discussions

If I take out this tree/shrub will I live to regret it?

Q

Comments (8)
    "I would like to make the house look less dour and more balanced. I'm not sure how to accomplish that. Should I take out the tallish shrub/tree thing that is pictured (at the right edge of the porch, next to the front door)?" Take it out. It is not helping. It is hurting. Some colorful annuals in that spot would look a lot better. The yard has a generally unkempt and ragged look. Trim. Get rid of weeds. Remove unhelpful plants. If you want privacy on the porch, why not intentionally create a pretty screen instead of using spindly azaleas in a way that says "elderly and struggling"?There are umpteen ways to make something nice that screens. I would not line the walk with anything but the lawn on one side and groundcover on the other. Just weed the groundcover for improved appearance.
    ...See More

Pooh Bear Birth Annoucement

Q

Comments (1)
    Send me your email. I can help you.
    ...See More

No engagement annouced tonte....

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, we went through that. Our now son-in-law took DD window and trying on shopping for a ring right after her return from Thanksgiving. So then we waited for when he would surprise her with the ring. Christmas? NO! New Years? NO! Valentine's Day? NO! His birthday? NO! Then they flew down so he could meet us finally, but still no ring. The nect week, 7 months after ring "shopping,"she was home visiting. He was going to switch jobs the next week to a much better job. I told her I was sure he was buying a ring that week with a signing bonus in his pocket. Well, he flew down to propose the very next day! Turns out he had bought the ring the day before and the sales lady convinced him to fly down and propose right away.
    ...See More

I think I may be regretting my White Spruce order. ...

Q

Comments (16)
    Since this topic surfaced, I've had the opportunity to review some of the literature. What I'm seeing is that even in worst-case scenarios, all trees of any given species do not succumb, and spruce species vary in their susceptibility, with again, Rocky Mtn. species being far and away the most prone to this problem, white spruce being intermediate, and Norway spruce having the most resistance, or at least, the lowest incidence of infection. I fully recognize you must do as you see fit. I've got no issue with that. I do, however, maintain that yours is a classic overreaction. So be it. I most definitely will not be unplanting my 3000 or whatever I've got! And while there's no way to prove or disprove this, if there was, I'd wager that in twenty years, there are going to be quite an abundance of nice, healthy spruce-mostly Norway but some white and a handful of others-up at my plantation. +om
    ...See More
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    I also don't buy books and I just did. I got my Empress Book from ARE for Christmas and I am planning to buy another book which will be one really pricey for me the Old Roses for warm Gardens $345.
    jin
  • User
    5 years ago

Over here, unfortunately I should add, it is often said that unless you are what's known as a Celebrity Gardener, there's no point doing a book...

A ''Celebrity Gardener'' would be one well known on television...

• sabalmatt_tejas
    5 years ago

I do buy books on roses and all types of plants. With so much of work spent on a computer, I enjoy reading books and having them to refer back to.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

"Over here, unfortunately I should add, it is often said that unless you
    are what's known as a Celebrity Gardener, there's no point doing a
    book..."

Oh, its the same here. About 15 years ago a publisher approached me to contribute to a rose book in progress, but they rescinded their offer when they discovered I wasn't "celebrity enough". LOL

"I cannot afford to buy a new book at $30."

And I believe this is the sticking point for any publisher considering a new work. I very much doubt you buy get a new work on Roses published in hardcover for less than twice that much, and it would have to be a "celebrity" as well. I just don't see such a project being anything more than another money pit.

• henry_kuska
    5 years ago

I would like to see someone document Ralph Moore's rose life. Yes, it might not be a "money maker", but it would be a public (rose) service. Perhaps the American Rose Society could underwrite the costs.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

"I would like to see someone document Ralph Moore's rose life. Yes, it
    might not be a "money maker", but it would be a public (rose) service.
    Perhaps the American Rose Society could underwrite the costs."

Henry, in the early 00's I was involved in a project organized by Kim Rupert, Mel Hulse and others: we spent several days interviewing Ralph about his work and at the end there were many hours of excellent material which was edited by John, the videographer, into a set of 5 DVDs. The ARS was approached to help finance a project to publish the work and make it publicly available and (IIRC) they flatly declined. I cannot imagine that 15 years later, they'd be any more interested than they were back then.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    Paul, how about a show here in States on roses. You will be the first. Guess, you have to chase National Geo or History or HGTV or which ever change channels..
    I am sure someone in those shows will fork in the money. You can be celebrity as time goes and soon books. I think HGTV is better choice and I do agree to get ARS involved. Got to to chase those dreams . Travel to Sacramento cemetery ( Jeri's talk about) then to Chris ( Aquaeyes) WIP to famous gardens and how old roses started here in USA like how Micheal Soup discovered and then start selling old roses. I think the best is to talk to this people and see . Your book will come around and I am sure. You are excellent photographer. Your pics are marvelous and your narrative on each rose is beautifully done.
    This is my deep down opinion in my heart. Saying goes" chase those dreams".
    I also believe American Rose Society will participate in this shows.
    jin
  • henry_kuska
    5 years ago

The Rose Hybridizer Association publishes a newsletter. Then they collect groups of previous newsletters and prepare DVDs which they sell. Perhaps they would be interested in newsletter(s) devoted to Ralph Moore's rose life, using your 5 DVDs .

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

"Saying goes" chase those dreams"."

Thats very kind of you, Jin, but the fact is, this is not my dream. Maybe 15 years ago it could have been, but not now. I have no desire to be any kind of celebrity.

"Perhaps they would be interested in newsletter(s) devoted to Ralph Moore's rose life, using your 5 DVDs ."

Well, the fact is that the videos are not my intellectual property, and I got the feeling that the man who does own them has lost interest in trying to find a backer to push the project. So whatever happens to that material, its not my decision.

• henry_kuska
    5 years ago

This just appeared:

"I wish to give a huge thank you as this pursuit began more than a decade ago thanks to something written by Paul Barden. It has been put aside for a decade due to work and moving, and I am just now starting again. There are seeds awaiting planting and the fun should begin in the next month or so."

http://rosebreeders.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56130

User thanked henry_kuska
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Paul, I have , I believe, spent $30 in a New book, that I wanted.. It really just depends. On if I have the extra money that month. Ex. If a car needs fixing or a sink or leak, then extra goes to that. I'm not saying I wouldn't, but it does have to be budgeted in. I think it would be a great idea, and I think their are alot of people that would buy one. Doing a T.V. show would be awesome too. I personally would rather read a book, than watch T.V...but I also don't have cable so that would be another snag for me. I have Netflix. I do have Amazon prime for the time being too.. Best of Luxk with whatever you decide and let us know what you decide.

User thanked Alana8aSC
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

My husband you should do a youtube channel, and get you some more fan base, and write your book and advertise it there. He said after so many views, youtube pays you. You would make money that way. Just another thought.

User thanked Alana8aSC
  • PRO
    Roses, art, gardrning
    5 years ago

Thanks Paul Barden for everything you have been doing . I wrote the first part of a series of articles on my blog about you and many people in europe are sad about what happens to you . The article was written quickly and I have still to put credits on your Picts and have translated in english . Happy new year . You are a reference for many here in Europe ,thanks for your generosity

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    5 years ago

I have to agree with everyone. Yours is one of the very first sites that I explored when I first started growing roses. I have enjoyed visiting your website many, many times.

User thanked countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update: my original site has been retired from the Web, as planned.

I am am extremely grateful to Helen for salvaging the site and making it available from another server, so be sure you bookmark the new location for future reference: OGRs and Beyond in its new location

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Thank you so much Paul and Helen for saving this treasure trove.

User thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    5 years ago

Thank you Paul for creating the wonderful content and everyone for helping with comments and finding broken links/pages/images. It's great team work :)

If you find any broken links/pages/images on the new site TLCfocus.com/paulbarden, just follow the instruction (a few posts above) on how to report them here and Paul and I will work on them. Thanks everyone! Helen

User thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • jerijen
    5 years ago

SAVED! With thanks to all!

• philipatx
    5 years ago

And another thanks to Paul for all you have contributed. Like Duane, and so many more, you and your writings were a huge influence on me many years ago. You were very generous with your knowledge and your material.

User thanked philipatx
  • luis_pr
    5 years ago

I have used your website before but not recently. My area has become RRD Central so I am not planting roses anymore and I remove more as they get hit. Commercial lots are a big problem here, I think, as they do not remove infected rose shrubs quickly.. even when told.

Many thanks for the information, Paul and Helen. I have saved the link to the new website too as I sometimes like to read thru it with a tall Starbucks latte. Hee hee hee! ;o))

User thanked luis_pr
  • totoro z7b Md
    5 years ago
    So glad that Helen was able to save your website. I wish google would take me to your new website instead of the old one. I wonder if there is a way to update them.
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    5 years ago

totoro, Google displays the search results based on page rankings. The pages with more visits will be displayed at the top. Overtime, when there are more people visit the new link than the old link then the new link will be displayed at the top in the search result. Helen

User thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

As Helen stated, there's nothing to be done except wait for Google to catch up with the fact that the original site is defunct and the content has moved to a new server. It will take time.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    2 years ago

Hi!

I am just now discovering this great new rose site - the tlc one. It's wonderful!! A whole new world.

I was just wondering, does anyone know what rose that is, on the Hybrid Perpetual page? http://tlcfocus.com/paulbarden/perpetuals/index.html

Is it `Hybride Remontant a Bois Lisse'? I can't seem to find that online. It doesn't seem to be on hmf either. (Or, is it not being grown now?)

2 years ago

If you click the photo Paul labels it "unidentified HP".

2 years ago

Oh, thank you, Sheila!! I wonder if it has a name yet! Hmm.

btw just to correct myself, there is a page for that Hybride rose on hmf, there is just no photo there.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)

I have never identified that Hybrid Perpetual. The fact is, there are scores of HPs that fit the description "deep pink/crimson, cupped, very double, highly scented, tall arching plant". Narrowing it down to the point you could actually pin a name on it with any accuracy is a difficult (impossible?) task.

• roseseek
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

That should surprise no one with so many introduced and so many of them simply described as "pink".

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

http://tlcfocus.com/paulbarden/perpetuals/unidentified.html

"Unidentified Hybrid Perpetual - This tall growing Hybrid Perpetual was discovered growing in Oregon in 1998. Still unknown identity. Wonderful fragrance and good repeat."

The rose is gorgeous.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) "The rose is gorgeous."

Yes, it is. But like so many of its class, its tragically Blackspot prone - typically by June, it has few leaves left, with a few flowers on the ends of bare sticks. I believe its still out there, being overrun by 'Dr. W. van Fleet' and a seedling cross ('Black Jade' X 'Tuscany Superb') which threatens to smother it once and for all. I don't recall seeing any flowers of it in the tangle last year, so maybe its already expired. I don't coddle unhealthy roses anymore. Either they cope on their own, or they succumb.

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    2 years ago

Mr. Barden: I had no idea you changed servers, and if it wasn't for someone rezzing this thread, I would have remained ignorant. Thank you for the effort.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Joe Moose, Zone 9A

I didn't exactly change servers - I announced that I was no longer able to pay to keep the site online and was retiring it, until Helen (@bayarea_girl_z10a_ca) graciously stepped up and offered to save it by hosting it. I am most grateful for Helen's efforts to preserve all the information I collated over the years!

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    2 years ago

Ah! My apologies for the misunderstanding.

User thanked Joe Moose, Zone 9A
  • ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

Small scare...I did not look at the initial date....Thank you Helen for hosting and Paul for the original writing....I often send people to several of your pages and did not want to misdirect them.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    2 years ago

@User any photos you can share of the 'Black Jade' X 'Tuscany Superb ?

• bart bart
    2 years ago

" Is anyone buying new rose books these days, with the industry in such a
    serious slump?? I can't imagine a publisher would take on any book I'd
    write, and I'm certainly not investing in self-publishing. It just
    doesn't seem like much of a prospect."

How well I can relate to you , Paul Barden! Just the entire situation which you describe deeply resonates with me. I'm a painter,an artist-I make oil paintings. I do it out of passion. They're pretty good,I guess, but I make no money ,have no career. It takes so much time and effort to make them, and the materials alone are quite expensive,so selling them "doesn't seem like much of a prospect"; I'd have to charge a lot of money for them, and people just don't want to spend money on art made by an un-famous/unknown artist. To make myself become "known" would require an enormous investment in time, energy and money : hunting down opportunities to exhibit my work, paying for the space, paying for the framing,paying for the transportation of the paintings... I know this, since I did do a couple of shows when I was young ,and I got nothing in return,in the sense that I didn't sell anything. Of course, just doing one or two shows is totally insufficient-one would have to keep up after it,spending a great deal of time, energy, and depleting one's already very limited financial resources-and with absolutely no guarentee that the investment would pay off! Most of all, I didn't enjoy doing all that hustling. So I decided it would be better to use my time, energy and money in just making the paintings; I just have no interest in promoting myself, because having a career as an artist isn't my dream-my dream is to BE an artist, lol. However, now, at age 60, I confess that I do have a longing to be able to somehow share my work with others-my painting, my garden, etc.

I am so glad that Helen has saved your site. I've learned not to click on links on these forums, because sometimes doing so messes up other stuff on this computer-doubtlessly some stupid Houzzian bumble. But hopefully this weekend I can look up the site with Google. As I've said many times before,I heartily wish that your roses were available here in Europe.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@chris209 (LI, NY Z7a) "any photos you can share of the 'Black Jade' X 'Tuscany Superb ?"

I found just one:

Its a large, sprawling plant (to 9 feet) with 3-4" blooms best described as a "modern" medium-to-dark pink. No appreciable fragrance, no repeat, and its not especially generous with bloom. It gets Blackspot quite severely, and so it was abandoned very early on as a breeding contender.

Its still in the garden, and it persists in spite of zero care, so I guess it has some merit. But I don't consider it to be much more than a curiosity.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    2 years ago

Thanks for sharing @User. Always interesting to see things like this.

User thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    2 years ago

Bart, maybe you could post photos of your paintings with the dimensions here. It would be great to see them.

2 years ago

Bart, I really enjoy your posts.

• bart bart
    2 years ago

@Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR you are always so kind to me, Sheila; thank you. I really appreciate it; sometimes I'm too opinionated and crotchety or something and wind up offending people, a thing that I don't much like about myself,so it makes me feel so much better to hear from you, who still seems able to like me in spite of my faults.

Anyway, I do have a website, but it is very, very out-of-date; only very old work. It's very, very difficult to photograph paintings, especially ones like mine,many of which are pretty huge in size. To add my recent work, I'd have to hire a professional photographer,and there, again, the expense would be excessive. The photographs on the site were done by a very darling friend of mine who is an excellent photographer, but that was many, many years ago, when we were younger and our lives were much less complicated.

I actually have had one or two contacts from people who were interested, but it never came to anything. Twice, the paintings that were of interest were ones which I had gifted to others-once as a show of gratitude ,once as a wedding gift. Another person contacted me about my painting of Enkidu and the Animals, but they had apparently not taken into consideration that this picture is 3 meters long by 2 meters high! Another issue is that ,aside from paying for the picture, shipping would be pretty outrageous, I think. I don't make paintings with the idea of selling them; if they present themselves as big, that's how I make them. However, now that I've really gotten into my garden project, the need to make things so big is decreasing. Perhaps it's because I have this God-given, huge landscape in which to work, under the endless sky: the biggest, most realistic "painting" of my life, lol!

I've done a couple of portraits, too, but there again,I have to charge a lot more than a photographer would for a portrait, and people just don't go for it. That's a shame, since I'm not bad at it,and really would enjoy doing it. I hope to do a recent one of both my son and of my husband; unfortuneately they'll have to be mostly from photographs, since neither of these gentleman have time to sit for me.

My husband's cousin, in Sicily, is married to a man whose father and grandfather were master cabinet makers. They made wood-inlay furniture. But the father never sold any of his pieces; he explained to Pino (his son) that they just take too long to do, require so much time and love in order to make that one would just have to charge too much for them. So he made his pieces as gifts for his family-I remember seeing the stupendous wooden beds that he made for his grand-daughters. Hearing this made me feel a lot better about myself and my own situation.

Anyway, sorry for going on so long-and for usurping Paul's thread! If you're interested, here's a link to my site http://rosewhitemusic.com/eileen/index.html . It seems unlikely that I'll ever have the means to adding pictures of my recent paintings, but hopefully some day I can buy a decent camera, and maybe put up photos of my garden project on the site.

Thank you again for your interest, Sheila. It means a lot to me.

2 years ago

Eileen, thank you for this glimpse of your marvelous talent. Your paintings are gorgeous. This process of your creativity and the difficulty of monetizing it seems very appropriate on Paul Barden's post. I am so grateful we have lived through the pandemic so far and impatient with those who seem not to be helping it end. I really admire what you have done.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Bart Bart, I am moved to tears by the beauty of your work. Those at the top are exactly what I love and touch my soul.

What an incredible talent you have been blessed with. Thank you for sharing.

• bart bart
    2 years ago

Thank you both so much; it is a comfort to know that at least in some very small way I can share my work, if only "virtually",lol.

Rose breeders Paul Barden and Kim Rupert ( our roseseek forum friend) are people that I admire deeply for the obvious fact that they do what they do out of love,not for money or career or self-promotion. Luckily, thanks to Bierkreek, I DO have 3 of Kim's roses: Annie Laurie MacD, Lauren, and Carlin's Rhythm. I can't help but hope that someday ,some of Paul Barden's roses will become available here in Europe. Sheila, give you Angry Juno my best wishes! What a beauty!

User thanked bart bart
  • User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bart bart

Eileen, it is my understanding that a few of my roses are available from a couple of European nurseries. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the names of the nurseries, but I believe there are a few sources in Sweden, Germany and others.

I'm pretty sure 'Mel's Heritage' and 'Marianne' are two that have made it into European nursery catalogs.

• roseseek
    2 years ago

Thank you, Eileen! Wow! The way you recreate light is remarkably beautiful! I'm impressed!

• bart bart
    2 years ago

Paul,I will have to try to do a search on this forum for these possible sources-none are listed on HMF. Kim, I'm glad you liked the pictures.

2 years ago

I liked them too -- really beautiful. I don't know your situation at all, bart bart/Eileen, but if you had youngsters with energy around, I think there would be a market. Even if you don't have the personnel, you still have admirers. Beauty for its own sake.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville