SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annthomas

Help, please! Barn door install issues and forgotten shower niche!

annthomas
5 years ago

Hello! I am working with a GC renovating my daughter's bathroom. The previous bathroom door swung into the small bathroom right in front of her vanity/ sink which took up a lot of space and made half of the vanity unusable. As a solution, I thought a sleek (not rustic!) barn door would be a good solution. I am working with a recommended GC on this project and they installed the door yesterday. He approved the size I ordered from Home Depot and the store themselves said they thought it was the right width upon special ordering.

Well low and behold, we have two issues:

1). There is a large gap on the side of the door so when it is closed and you are standing outside the bathroom in the hallway, you can see right into the bath.

2). The door isn't wide enough in my opinion and isn't covering the trim. The door design and trim design just don't match up.

It looks awful and I'm so disappointed. This is not the first issue with this remodel as the GC also forgot to install the shower niche we discussed when they tiled the shower. He now says that he doens't think it's possible due to where he *thinks* the wall studs are. But this is all after the fact!

I don't know what to do, gang. I have limited experience with remodeling. I just know when something looks bad. I don't know if I should listen to my GC or find another option on the door AND what to do on the shower niche?

Any advice is much appreciated and welcome! Thank you!

Comments (16)