SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbubbly

contractor damaging unsealed leathered quartz

sarahbubbly
5 years ago
So I’m not yet in my new kitchen, and we have problems. I love the look of the leathered quartz , but we have a situation on our hands.
The day of countertop install, the installer said that our leathered finish will need to be sealed and would I like him to seal it? I replied YES. He said he’d come back. My contractor was standing right there.
So construction continues. People made marks on the counters - subs and two employees. Finally, the installer came back and was unable to clean the marks (a foam adhesive, presumably). He left WITHOUT sealing.
More marks, grease smudges. Still no fixes.
Just today they are saying, we don’t ever seal quartz. That doesn’t explain to me the advice and offer to seal it because it is leathered.
Seems like my contractor is going to shove this back on us. I feel that they should have sealed it right away AND protected it while working. How can you turn a kitchen over to your customer that is damaged?
Are we stuck with having countertops that were marked and damaged in construction? Or paying for new ones, and potentially damaging our new tiles and cabinets in the process on another install?
What should I do?

Comments (49)