SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgh_pa

Loss of interest?

mgh_pa
5 years ago

I feel as though I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but my wife and I have been planning our build in one shape or another for about a year now (starting with the initial floor plan design). We knew going into this that it would be stressful, lots of decision making, compromise, sacrifice, etc.

What I never planned for was a gradual lack of interest or excitement. In general, burned out. We've encountered our share of unexpected hang ups and many of the people we've worked with have left us with a bad taste in our mouth (aside from our current plan designer...she's AWESOME).

We've tried to be extremely proactive, interviewing builders with a long list of planned questions, and building sense of who we wanted, and who we didn't. We've met with vendors, submitted bids for areas of the home we will take care of ourselves, etc. We stayed on top of things to keep the ball moving and not run into any bottlenecks. I took care of the subdivision process myself all last spring/summer, and even with being extremely on top of everything, incompetence at our County Planning commission almost cost me a month of lost time.

Then we pick a builder, draw up a contract, only to find out he didn't account for some of the major items that were clearly identified on the plan. Also, after the first contract was presented (and not signed), we asked for an itemized list based on our specifications. He told us that everything we speced would add to the initial contract (even though BEFORE he drafted the contract, we told him what level of finishes we wanted).

Decided to find another builder. Found one that came highly recommended by several people we know. Met with him, initially were impressed. Only to find out he's impossible to get a hold of. You have to text or call before 6:30 AM otherwise you won't hear from him again (even into the evening).

Meanwhile, while this is all going, I have an excavator out looking at the property to give me a bid for the driveway (in September mind you). He states he can start in two weeks. It's now mid December and he's a no show. Called him last week since we have a stretch of nice dry weather. He states he will be there on Wednesday (yesterday) to start. Again...no show.

Well drillers came and marked a stake in August. Said they would be back at the end of the month. Still a no show, and they were one of only two outfits to even return my calls back then.

We live in a rural area where all of these people have lived their whole lives, and it blows my mind, I can't get better service or response. The excavator was a former student of my father's for crying out loud!

To be honest, with having another new baby, and my wife and I both working two jobs, it doesn't seem worth it to me. We can't stay where we are, so we have to do something, but to be honest, nothing about this build excites me (I can't speak for my wife). I know I should be happy since it's in a dream spot on land, but I won't have time to enjoy the land for a few years anyways until my kids are older, so it's not like it's something I NEED to have now. I told my wife that if we didn't live in such a sad area for existing housing that we would NOT be building under any circumstances.

I applaud those who can persevere and see it through. Maybe it's worth it.

As of right now, I'm shut down, and just not feeling it. Anyone else ever gone through a similar stage when planning a build?

Comments (37)