SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Diane/anyone, would Augusta Louise prefer some PM shade in my garden?

Lisa Adams
5 years ago

I apologize for asking a question that surely has been discussed before, but for some reason my “search option “ here on Houzz has been totally useless for the past few weeks. I’m not able to access old posts. I also can’t remember what sort of siting Diane, or anyone else recommended for Augusta Louise.

Mine is from Palatine, so she’s budded on Multiflora rootstock, which I have zero experience with. I’m in zone 10a, S. California, about 10 miles inland, North San Diego County. Conditions are usually quite dry, with very low humidity, and only 13” of rainfall during a “normal“ winter. I get very little frost, maybe about 10-15 mornings a year I’ll see it on the lawn, but nothing ever really “freezes“. The only disease that plagues my roses is powdery mildew. Summer and Fall are VERY dry, with temps from the high 80’s to over 100F, and getting hotter and drier with climate change. It always cools down at night, so nights and evenings are quite comfortable even during the hottest time of the year.

Augusta Louise is in a container, at the moment. I intend to plant her as soon as I get some advice. Full sun, all day long would be easiest to provide, but she’s so special I want to give her the very best spot I can provide. If necessary, she could be planted where she’d get some relief from the afternoon sun.

Thanks SO very much, and I’m sorry for the redundant question. Lisa

Comments (36)

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    5 years ago

Lisa, my Augusta Luise is still in it's first year, so it may not be the best example. It is planted permanently in a large container. It does not see the sun until midday and then is in full sun until nightfall. It flowered well during it's first spring and early summer. It then took a break until late summer/autumn. Now it is winter, it hasn't flowered recently. However, the plant itself looks good at all times.

Your climate seems to be very similar to mine, so, I would expect similar results.

Daisy

Lisa Adams thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That does help, Daisy. Thank you! You’ve got me thinking about a permanent container. I hadn’t even considered that. It would save me the digging, make it easy to provide the Multiflora rootstock with proper soil, and keep my precious Augusta Louise totally safe from gophers. I wonder just how large a container would be large enough? Yours looks great! Lisa

• Related Discussions

Would like some advice on teas/chinas in the uk

Q

Comments (50)
    Ugh just had a long update/ coment eaten by the posting gremlins. Will try again with more info later. Later, with added commentary. Le Vesuve. This rose (by tape measure, not by eye) is 4ft 9 by 4ft by 3 ft vertically. So far, no signs of mildew! I'm very happy with it size wise for a first year rose - there are supposedly much hardier roses in my garden that have done less with more, so as to speak. General Schablikine This one has stayed a small hummock, but with one comical 3ft cane. According to "Tea Roses For Warm Gardens," this is it's habit when it's immature so I'm not too worried. It is paler than the others, almost chlorotic looking, and I wonder if it might want an iron/seaweed tonic dose. Mme Anoine Mari. I begin to understand the accolades this rose has; although a little lopsided, it's slowly, gracefully branching out to just under 3ft in all directions, all the while clothed in glossy dark foliage. Mutablis Best freebie EVER. It blooms and grows and blooms and grows, staying shapely and well foliated. Gruss I haven't a new picture of. It's spotlessly healthy and about 4ft tall, but only 18 inches wide. very much looking forward to it becoming established. Both the Ladies H, truck on serenely. They bloom and grow and bloom and grow, more or less continuously. The potted climbing version needs a bigger pot and a less lacksadaisical waterer, but carries on regardless. I do see the plaint about the dead blooms, but it's nothing like the mummified horror that is Alchymist so I can overlook it easily. Also the are both spotless, huzzah, a non sprayed yellow rose in England in September that is NOT imitating a Dalmatian. Leonie Viennot is HUGE - 6ft of growth on every cane. However, it's shown some tendency towards mildew, BUT it's potted and immature. I really need to make a call on a permanent home, but the potential mildew is making me hesitate. Not that it actually is mildewed, just the leaves are crumply like it's GOING to mildew, but never quite gets powdery. It's a dilemma. Latest garden addition (bit scruffy, I haven't finished planting!) Based on how happy I've been with my experimental roses, I'm going to push the boat still further, and try some more teas, chinas and maybe a tea noisette or two. Blush Noisette is bidding fair to be one of the best roses in my garden in a quiet sort of way. Really charming. I'm hoping it's not an outlier! The Perle D'Or I mentioned up thread will be ready this autumn, (although Arethusa is apparently not wanting to play) and I am contemplating Duchesse D'Aerstadt as replacement for the horrible Alchymist, which nothing I can do makes happy. Mme Jules Gravereaux/ Celine Forrestier for the arch, Alexander Hill Gray, Anna Olivier, Clemetina Carbonieri, for the yellow /orange beds and last but not least, Homere and / or Hume's Blush/Odorata to replace Eglantyne. Any thoughts? Guesses as to sizes? My baby Vesuve is already about as big as Beales thought it would top out at, so much for that estimate!
    ...See More

Looking for Augusta Louise

Q

Comments (57)
    How would we go about campaigning for some more local offerings? I looked at the Tantau website and it seems most of their list is new to me. Is this one of those cases where talking to a particular grower, with money in hand to cover some set minimum order requirement would get us some action? My German kind of lacks in vocabulary, but I understand all of the "the", "a", and "with" so I would have to resort to google translate or something to contact them. Maybe Burlington or some of the other bigger names here like ARE, Heirloom, or RU? I wouldn't be too surprised if we could drive up a 50 plant order for AL just from the regulars here. EDIT TO ADD Hooray for other people being much more multilingual than I am! I have just sent an email to Tantau asking about the option for doing a bulk order for those interested here, and additional information to see about potentially having it sold by a US source. I admit to being completely novice, and whatever they send will probably cruise straight over my head but, its a first step!
    ...See More

Augusta Louise is back

Q

Comments (13)
    I think it stays healthy for most of the time, it might have a little BS at my suburb garden, because I planted so many roses in a suburb lot; the air flow is not prefect; the one at the country garden, I think it has no issues. I will double check that for you and report it back. Here is a baby plant, planted it in May, bloomed for the 1st time at the end of June/early July, it looked pretty healthy.
    ...See More

Augusta Louise, Mitsouko, and other lovely ladies...

Q

Comments (154)
    Deborah, I'm a few months late, but yes, I think the lovely color combination of Augusta Luise next to Jacqueline du Pre will be perfect. I look forward to photos of the real thing. Diane
    ...See More
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago

Hi Lisa. I don't have any advice, just sharing what I did which sounds similar to Daisy's planting. My bare root Augusta Louise arrived the 3rd week of November. I soaked her overnight and planted her in a half wine barrel. I debated another location with morning full sun and in the ground, but it's in a spot in the garden I won't see her as much. So I chose the wine barrel closer to my veggie beds where I spend most of my time. She will only get filtered light until noon and then afternoon sunshine so we'll see how she does. She's already leafing out. I've never planted a bare root in November before, so this is another experiment!

Daisy, your AL looks lovely! Here's a picture from today of my baby AL. Hopefully she'll be happy in her new home!

Lisa Adams thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’m seriously considering doing the same thing, especially now that two of you are growing her in a container. I just keep thinking that someone (Diane?) said she was a “big girl”, and would probably be quite large in our climate. Did you plant your Augusta Louise in a particular potting soil, due to the Multiflora rootstock, Tiffany? I’m SO annoyed that Houzz won’t let me search old posts like I used to! Grrr...

Daisy, I meant to tell you how much I like your Augusta Louise with the Felicia. I was considering putting mine right in between 2 Felicia plants, myself. Now I know exactly how nice that would look! Thanks for that. Lisa

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Hi Lisa, AL is in a mix of 3/4 rose potting soil with 1/4 bagged chicken manure that's been sitting for a bit. Hopefully that will be ok. I am actually thinking of thinning some of trees above her to give her a bit more light. I figure if she doesn't look happy then I can move her to the spot I planned next year. The "reserved" spot is next to a future Evelyn I ordered that should arrive in January! I enjoyed your Evelyn pictures this last year and I was inspired! Now my difficult task will be to not fill the reserved spot and yet I really want both Colette and Princess Charlene of Monaco (which I also enjoyed from your photos!)
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good call on using actual Rose potting soil. I’ve done that a few times with very good results. My biggest obstacle is that I’d have to go get the stuff. I always have some of those giant bags of ‘Miracle Grow Organic Moisture Control Potting Mix” around from Costco. I stock up when they carry it in the spring. I’m not much for “running to town”, these days. OT; I had to chuckle a little while back when Diane mentioned in the Fall Thread how I managed to live such a full and active life, in spite of my health. It only seems that way, because it’s such a big deal when I do go somewhere fun, that I announce it, and talk about it:) I actually leave the house about once a week, and that’s usually for 10 AM coffee time with my family. Then I stop by the grocery store on my way back. I always have a great time when I go anywhere, it’s just getting myself to go, that’s the problem.

Mine is in the above mentioned stuff right now, but it’s definitely a temporary container. I’ve overwhelmed myself with seeds, bulbs, corms, and Annie’s plants, so I need to get Augusta Louise situated soon. Actually, I could kill two birds with one stone by putting AL in a large container. I could plant some of the Ranunculus or Anemones around her feet. I wouldn’t have to worry about gophers getting those then, either. It’s impossible to plant all those in gopher cages, and still maintain the proper planting distance between each one. They return the next year much more reliably planted in containers anyway, better drainage.

Alrighty then, you and Daisy have helped me decide. Container it is. Like you’re planning, if she’s not happy I can always move the container or plant her in the ground next year. I’m glad we both got her, and live so near each other. It’s going to be great being able to compare and discuss Augusta Louise with someone in the exact same climate.

I’m glad you’re getting Evelyn, Tiffany. If any David Austin was made for our area, it’s surely Evelyn. She loves it here, as long as she gets her water. Mine has broken lose from her flimsy tripod and is trying to become a monster right now. I keep meaning to cut those canes back, but then I see buds forming. I can’t resist them, so I always end up putting off her haircut. I feel you, about trying not to fill reserved spots. My space is getting more and more limited. Sometimes I ALMOST wish a rose would die, but which one? The only roses that have ever died here have been a couple to gophers and small, still potted roses that the boys missed watering when I was out of town during that horrible heatwave we had back in July.

Now to decide what color ranunculus or anemones to plant with Augusta Louise. I’m torn between “ Anemone Pandora Doppio Mix”, “Italian Ranunculus Elegance Salmon”,or just purple ranunculus. I don’t know why I always have such a hard time making up my mind. Those are the ones I have presprouted in flats, so I should chose between those. Decisions, decisions, they’re obviously not my one of my strong points:). Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Hi Lisa, I'm a day late and a dollar short. You've gotten some good advice, and I don't grow any roses in pots, so I'm not much help with the soil part. My AL is grafted on multiflora, too, as are quite a few others I grow. I have alkaline desert soil, so one thing I've settled on in the past few years, with good results, is using granular fertilizer for acid loving plants. Lily Miller is a favorite. Of course, I also throw a bunch of high quality compost on everything early in the season. I suppose it would be fine to top off your potting soil with a little compost. I also use Plant Tone, which I'm sure you could try in containers. My Ballerina rose, a hybrid musk, though planted on Dr Huey, is very prone to chlorosis, and I find the granular fertilizer for acid loving plants really nips this condition in the bud (sorry). I worry most about our winters more than anything because AL is pretty cold sensitive. That's one thing you don't have to worry about. We do have hot, dry summers, which AL doesn't seem to mind, though your sun will be stronger than ours due to your latitude. I think a little afternoon shade would be fine. AL is vigorous, and mine was about 6 feet at the end of the summer. I can't wait to see how all of your Augusta Luise roses do next season. I'm sure yours will grow huge, Lisa. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Wow Diane! Thank you for that picture! I'm so excited for those blooms! Your pictures are why so many of us ordered her! 6 ft. is a big girl, maybe the half wine barrel will be a starter for the first year... It's also your pictures of colette that have me dreaming of that rose too. I'm trying to contain myself a bit though. I have 2 roses arriving in late winter and more dahlia bulbs coming too. I should pace myself! Thanks for your feedback too, the acid lovers fertilizer sounds like a good idea.

Lisa, I looked up those Italian anemones and ranunculus, wow! I can see why it is hard to decide, you can't go wrong with any of those! It is a win to not have to deal with the gopher baskets too, they are expensive and a pain! I moved 2 of my Desdemonas a few weeks ago that were in too much shade. It was a pain because they were in gopher baskets and I couldn't untangle the roots from the baskets, so I replanted them in the new spot with the same messed up baskets, I just hope they will be ok.

Anyway I can't wait to compare notes in the spring to see what's working! Hopefully they look as beautiful as Diane's and Daisy's Augusta Louises!
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Be still my heart! You sure have enabled many of us with gorgeous pictures like that one. She’s looking so pink in the above picture. I forget whether you said cooler or hotter temps bring out more pink. My inclination is that cooler temps bring out the pink, but I could be wrong about that. Thank you for your info, Diane. It’s so frustrating not to be able to search your old posts about Augusta Louise. I wonder if I should try on a different device, and see what happens.

I may have a bit of acidic potting soil leftover somewhere. Maybe I’ll add some of that. I too, give my Hybrid Musks acidic fertilizer, and sometimes sulfur. I’ve just never done it for one in a container. You’re right, 6 feet for you, might mean enormous for Tiffany and me. I kinda remember you saying she would be a big girl. That’s why I didn’t consider a container, right off. I will try to give her a bit of PM shade, but not much. Thanks again, Diane. Lisa

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

I grow ALin an ice hole, so the color may be different than yours.

Lisa Adams thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Summers, what petal packed beauties you show us. I love seeing every variation in color of AL. My Augusta is all over the map in color, including deep apricot and orangish colors--but not solid, a blend. The funny thing is these colors can occur at the same time on the plant and don't seem to have anything to do with the temperature. She must have some complicated color genes. We live in an ice hole, too, with some of the coldest temps currently in the US. Little Stanley, Idaho, was the coldest town in the US about a week ago with -25F. As I've said before, the cold temps move east as winter progresses, and soon it will be Minnesota, finally ending back East in NH or NY farther into winter. Weird.

You're so welcome, Lisa, and thank you for your nice comments. As I've said above, temperature doesn't seem to have that much to do with my rose's color. Surprises are part of the fun. I can't wait to see what size your rose grows.

Tiffany, thank you. I hope your AL brings you lots of happiness and color variation. I'm sure your plant will grow large like Lisa's. I wish I had a year round, or nearly, growing season. About two weeks of winter is all I can stand--ha. I have seen some ranunculus colors in photos in the last year or so that have made my jaw drop. The most recent was the deepest, richest purple imaginable. I didn't even know they came in such colors. The sticking point with me is they are an annual with a relatively short bloom time, and I just can't sacrifice the space. I want to see all of you Californians' blooms.

Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I took the liberty of posting several AL pics to show the extreme color variation. In the first pic, my granddaughter took the photo right on top of the rose--it's an extreme close up. The second photo shows two color variations occurring at the same time. The third photo is about as light as she gets, and forth shows a frequent blend with darker and brighter color. Diane

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Summers, your ice hole is working for Agusta Louise! Beautiful.
    Thanks for posting more pics Diane, I'm excited to see the various colors in her!
    Stay warm out there Summers and Diane, those cold temps sound wild!
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Diane, if I didn't know better, I would think that that is three different roses. What nice color variations

Lisa Adams thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What beautiful pictures! They just get better and better! Diane, Summers, Daisy, take all the liberties you want. We all love these pictures. Finally, I’m seeing them knowing that I have her in my greedy little pot ghetto, so I’m enjoying them more than ever!

Diane, I’m so glad you said that temps don’t seem to make a difference as to Augusta Louise’s being pink or peachy. I think I’ll go with purple ranunculus. I wonder if I could plant two colors of ranunculus 2-3 weeks apart with AL? I’m toying with the idea of doing that.

I really mishmash things in the garden, but container plantings are like cut flower arrangements to me. I try to make them look coordinated and pleasing to the eye. I think I know how to put different flowers together in a vase and container planting fairly well. I don’t know why I can’t apply it my yard. I guess I get overwhelmed with the larger space, or I have problems when things start growing larger or smaller than I expected.

I was hesitant to buy the Italian Ranunculus last year, as they’re rather pricey. I only bought a few. I’m happy to say that I see them coming up again already again this year. I only have a picture of one of them from last spring, but you can see how pretty this bloom is. It looks so much like a rose bloom. The blooms lasted almost two weeks in the arrangements.

It’s very reassuring to see this today.

I can’t wait to see what Augusta Louise looks like with ranunculus at her feet in her pot, and not worry about the gophers getting either of them. The ranunculus typically bloom in March or April around here, so we’ll see if Augusta Louise has anything to contribute so soon. That’s awfully quick, so she might just contribute her greenery. Either way, I’m excited about seeing the show. If she doesn’t bloom with them this spring, I think I’ll time her pruning to have her bloom with them the following spring, by pruning her early.

It’s so exciting that so many of us finally have the rose we’ve lusted after for years. I wonder how many Palatine could have sold, had they not run out? Thanks for all the gorgeous pictures! Lisa

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

I’m going to show my Augusta Luise the pics from Diane , Daisy and Summers, so she knows what the end game should be!

There’s quite a ways to go, here’s how she looks right now:

She arrived from Palatine last month. I took a nursery pot , cut out the bottom, inverted it over the canes, and filled with potting soil to keep her nice and moist =)

I have big dreams for her!

Lisa Adams thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great idea, Ben. Have you done this before? I’ve never thought of doing such a thing for moisture. Does it get very cold in your part of Texas? Lisa

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Yes, I’ve been doing this for all the bareroots I get...I find it’s much easier and stable than just mounding the soil. It gets down to about 15 degrees for short periods, so I’m sure we’re much colder than you. I’ve also used this same methods for bareroots that were received in June (when it was 100 outside), and they came through fine!

Lisa Adams thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good to know, Ben! You grow marvelous roses, so it must be great for them. Yes, you’re much colder than I am. Most winter days are 60-70F, and nights between 45-55F. I might get down to 30F a handful of times per year, but only for a few hours just before dawn. That means not much rest for the roses, or me. The only dormancy the roses get is forced on them by pruning. I can’t wait to see everyone’s Augusta Louise’s come to life! It’s so fun that many of us finally have her. Lisa

• kcandmilo
    5 years ago

No answers, but just to say thank you to all the comments as well as OP, because I never thought of putting my roses in a large container! Living in the SF bay area, I've always thought of roses as in-ground plants, and the obvious alternative never occurred to me! This opens up so many new options in my yard, she said with glee!

KC

Lisa Adams thanked kcandmilo
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Excellent, KC! They need closer attention in pots, but it certainly opens up more space for roses. Augusta Louise is in a large pot, for now. She’s in full sun now, but I’ll have to move the pot when it gets warm here. It’s been raining and very cloudy for a while, so there’s no danger of overheating, yet.

Here’s what my Augusta Louise looks like today. Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I'm so glad to see you posting, Lisa and I hope you're feeling really fine. Your Augusta looks great--I'm sure she will love your California weather. I'd like a little of that myself, though I admit we've had an easy winter after a cold start. I'm seeing a lot of green canes which is not always good here. Keep us posted--I'm excited. Diane

• Kimberly zone 10 so cal
    5 years ago

i'm super jealous of all you who have managed to find a AL! Palatine is sold out and I can't find one anywhere else :(

Lisa Adams thanked Kimberly zone 10 so cal
  • Arosebyanyother
    5 years ago

I would really like to have her own root, I wouldn’t even know where to look?

Lisa Adams thanked Arosebyanyother
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

You could order one from Palatine and planted it deep, cover the grafted parts, you’d have own root ones after a couple years.

Palatine is the only place you could order it.

Lisa Adams thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was thinking about that when I planted mine,(growing it’s own roots). Mine isn’t planted deep enough in her pot to cover the graft, but the pot is only meant to be temporary. Does anyone know if a grafted bare root rose needs to be planted deep immediately to go own root, or will it still possibly grow its own roots later, when planted deeply into the ground? I hope it’s the later. Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I have found that deeply planted roses don't necessarily go own root, even after the course of several years--the exception being Evelyn. At least this is what I've observed when transplanting or digging up a rose. There is nothing wrong with a grafted rose--the worst performing rose in my garden right now is an own root Abe Darby that insists on being a vine. He's got one more season to prove himself. My own root Julia Child has been disappointing, too. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Diane. I wonder if you and I both have soil and climates that don’t help a deeply planted, grafted rose to grow it’s own roots? Maybe it happens more in acidic soil with summer rain. I haven’t seen anything to suggest that any of my deeply planted grafted roses have grown their own roots, either. I see it mentioned quite often, so it must happen somewhere:). Lisa

• Arosebyanyother
    5 years ago

I don’t know why I really care. I guess I got it in my head that own root was better for my garden, but I practically have to spray everything Lol. I know Palatine has a three rose minimum, and I’ve got a lot going on in the garden right now, with moving everything. I belive I will put AL on the list for next year, wth a few others.

Lisa Adams thanked Arosebyanyother
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

It's probably not normal to be this excited about a rose, but my mouth goes dry and my heart beats a little faster every time I think of AL.

Diane, you may have something there with your vining Abe. That would be a new class of roses and make you as famous as Mr. Austin.

Without digging it up, how would you know if a rose has gone from growing from the grafted roots to it's own roots?

Lisa Adams thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago

I'm getting pretty excited for AL too! This is my first time planting a bare root in November. She's leafing out pretty well! Here she is with her fairy friend.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flowers, I was wondering the same thing. I don’t see how you could tell without digging it up. I’ve dug up very few roses, but the giant RMV infected Mary Rose we removed sure hadn’t gone own root. If a rose grows its own roots, does the rootstock also continue to grow? It’s not like you could get under there and remove something like Dr. Huey! :)

Tiffany, your AL looks fantastic! Yours is way ahead of mine, but I had mine in a tiny pot for holding, and then replanted it. I’m sure that slowed her down some. Yours is more leafed out than mine.

Zero of the ‘Elegance Salmon’ Italian Ranunculus came up around my AL, either. All the others came up in other places. I hope it was the corms, rather than that whole pot being unhappy. I’m sure looking forward to seeing what AL can do! I’m so excited to finally see those blooms “in real life”. Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Lisa, I have dug a lot of roses up over the years, and only in one rose could I definitively see that it had gone own root. This was about 5-6 years ago and involved an Evelyn growing on the side of a slope where the deer would not leave her alone. She had been planted by the landscapers when we first moved here. As I started digging, I could see that there were now two Evelyns, both big and shooting out roots sideways and straight down. Maybe some Dr Huey persisted, but it was not evident to me, and the second E was very much on her own roots and separate from the first. The ground had become like cement as it ways does around here, and the roots just wouldn't quit. I had wanted to transplant this "rose", but finally I was forced to excavate a moon crater--or something similar. It was necessary to hack off a lot of roots, too, and no Huey ever tried to come up in this area. I was unhappy to toss the two E's in the garbage, but at that point I didn't care. I might note that this dig was way worse than the 2017 digging up of a giant PAoK, if you can imagine. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Worse than digging up PAoK?!?! That must have been a real chore! The picture of PAoK’s roots is one that will forever be stuck in mind. I do try to get ownroot roses, but I have quite a few grafted ones. As long as I don’t have to dig up the ones on Dr. Huey, I don’t mind them too much. It’s dealing with the Dr.’s constant return, that I despise. I need to check my “Dr. Huey problem spot” again. I think I might have finally beaten him. I sure hope so! lol Lisa