SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyperformancehorses

Winter Insanity

Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I confess to having a sickness. I guess admitting that is the first step, although I have no idea toward what! First of all, although I still have miscellaneous, albeit somewhat sickly looking buds and blooms, I'm pining for a full garden of blooming roses. I'm walking through my garden feeling somewhat lost.

So, today I decided to start on a pre-hard-prune adventure. I started to semi-defoliate (not sure how long this will last - it's a LOT of roses, and they'll be cut to nubbins in mid-January anyway). I'm also cutting out the deadwood I've missed over the summer and fall, and grumbling as I find more areas where cane borers have invaded, seeing some roses that I think I'll just need to replace.

I'm thinking - heck, this is a LOT of work. I spent 2 hours this morning, and got through about 15% of my roses. So what do I do. I walk into my house, sit down with my computer, and order 3 more bareroot roses (added to the 4 already coming, and the 15 added over the summer).

It makes absolutely no sense. I think it's just winter (well, almost winter) crazies!

I've been drooling over Kristines pictures of Olivia Rose all season, some time back I fell in love with forum pics of The Ancient Mariner, and I've always wanted to experience the fragrance of Jude the Obscure. Not sure whether to say: WOO HOO, or OMG, but my one prior order from David Austin Roses so impressed me, I always intended to buy more from them, so - here goes!

How are you handling heading into winter?

Comments (33)