SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohconnell

do not like new granite countertops

ohconnell
5 years ago

Countertops were just installed. I came home from work expecting to love them and I was so disappointed. It wasn't what I envisioned. I am having the cabinets painted white and the island a grey with a tan undertone. I was going to do a white subway tile for the backsplash, but may now do a a light grey. Ahhh I was thrilled to get the granite and I've seen countertops in homes I loved. I should have done more research looking at photos online etc. Very disappointed.......

Comments (64)

• kulrn
    5 years ago

I'm no designer! Love to learn on here though. I hope you post updates! I just saved some pictures of black honed granite recently. I'm thinking of the future if I ever change mine out!

• AC LB
    5 years ago
    They’re going to look beautiful once you paint your cabinets white! I’d stick with the white subway tiles as they’re timeless. The gray trend is on its way out.
    ohconnell thanked AC LB
  • Related Discussions

Starting new post - which granite do you like?

Q

Comments (4)
    your first picture: although they are telling you a different name: looks like "Ivory Chiffon" (100% the sample is from India) and you don't have to seal that granite: very very heavy & dense granite. (simular granite: kashmire gold/ madura gold/ kashmire white/chiffon white/ you can google the names and look at pictures. I love those colors the best: new ven gold is too common: but the white in the new ven gold will go well with white appliances. it's your choice. India granite is a better choice.
    ...See More

New granite has ink-like stains help!

Q

Comments (6)
    We had a weird brown mark on our counter and the granite people said it was a defect in the granite (we have light gray/white granite)...but they were able to work with the small blotch and were quite happy to try and do what they could. They covered the brown with a light gray epoxy substance and then they did some other stuff to it. It's not nearly as noticeable but they are not quite done with it. I think the original company might be able to help you--call them. It's amazing what the fabricators can do to fix chips, cracks, stains, occlusions, etc. I think they are used to that and if you find an experienced fabricator, they are good at problem solving with the stone. They work with it every day!
    ...See More

painting countertops to look like granite

Q

Comments (2)
    If you didn't find anything yet.... I researched this awhile back as I was thinking of doing the same thing. Please see the link below for ideas. Over the years, I've seen people on some of the forums here ask that question, which is what got me interested. Here is a link that might be useful: Painting counter tops
    ...See More

HELP! new granite countertop - can't stand it

Q

Comments (84)
    I wish I could change the name of this thread I started three weeks ago! I would call it "New countertop Loving it!" Its been ten days since I posted the first photos and revealed the identity of my stone. I got to enjoy it for only a few minutes on a gray day before the contractor enveloped it in butcher paper so work could continue around it. On Wednesday evening I prepared to celebrate Thanksgiving by unveiling the stone. Since then I have enjoyed many happy hours with it. NYC has been blessed with a sunny holiday, and the stone is even more beautiful in a kitchen drenched with sunlight. It also photographs better, though the green still looks washed out. Ive posted new photos, including some close-ups. Cloud_swift predicted I would be even happier with my stone after living with it a while. In fact, it grows on me by the hour. To walk into the kitchen now is literally thrilling. I never know what to expect, as it changes with the light, always surprising me with how blue it is, but sometimes more green, sometimes reminiscent of stainless steel, and as the light fades, quieting to a rich dark gray. Aunttomichael -- "soapstone lover" -- got it exactly right: the effect is both serene and intense (which I think is true of soapstone as well.) Before this experience I knew literally nothing about stone. Now I learn from Theresab1 that Im a member of the (very exclusive!) "Azul Macaubas Club" though I agree with Cloud_swift (she of the glorious azul do mar) who calls it the "Quartzite from Brazil Club." While my stone is indeed quartzite from Brazil, I, like Mindstorm, find it hard to believe it shares the same name as Theresab1s amazing stone, which Mindstorm describes as "almost onyx-like in its translucent whiteness with streaks of blue" As she notes, mine is nothing like that! Not at all white or even light-colored. Its predominantly blue with a lot of pale green. In a single slab, the blue ranges from a deep, rich blue to greenish-blue to pale blue to deep lavender a shade Cloud_swift noted in azul macaubas slabs she saw. The only photos Ive seen of anything similar were a variant called Azul Imperial. Theres a lot of interesting information at www.bluemacaubas.com. The most important thing Ive learned, though, is that you dont choose a stone by its name unless you are willing to settle for an arranged marriage!
    ...See More
  • Joan D
    5 years ago
    As just about everyone else has said, it’s way too soon to be disappointed. Strongly encourage you to pick your whites and paint a large sample to see how it works with your granite. There are a million whites and the right ones on your cabinets and walls will make the granite look spectacular while the wrong ones will make it look like dirt. Literally! You still can end up with a gorgeous kitchen but you really need to pick all the elements and build a story board to make sure they work together before you start changing individual elements. Good luck!
    ohconnell thanked Joan D
  • noodlesportland
    5 years ago

Hang a white sheet over your cabinets and stand back. It is going to look great.

• ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The painter is helping me pick the white. She's using Annie Sloan. I was thinking French Linen for the island, but maybe I'll do that white too if we find he right one. She's putting bead-board & trim on the island. Thank you!

• ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

:) @noodlesportland Going to do that with a white sheet! :)

• Hypeastrum
    5 years ago
    When my parents renovated their kitchen I chose their white cabinets and lovely white square tiles which matched so well. Then my father went on his own and picked that same granite you have. I was really upset thinking it would ruin the whole kitchen but, to my surprise it looked really good (not that I will ever Gelo my dad). I’m sure you’ll love yours as well
    ohconnell thanked Hypeastrum
  • ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here is one sample of paint I was given before the countertop, it's a mix of two whites...more of an off white sheet. :)

• ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hypeastrum do you have a picture of your parents kitchen?

• pkpk23
    5 years ago

You might want to Google Annie Sloan chalk paint on kitchen cabinets before you commit to the paint job.

ohconnell thanked pkpk23
  • lindahambleton
    5 years ago

I love the white sheet idea. Once I put a painting, sofa cushion and drapery in the shower to see how it would all look with white walls. Lol

ohconnell thanked lindahambleton
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Don’t paint the island “gray with a tan undertone”. Just paint it gray.
  • acm
    5 years ago

Yeah, chalk paint is better on furniture than cabinets, from what I hear. You want more of a sturdy laquer.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

If you don't like busy countertops, you should not have chosen granite! That said, I've seen far worse. Wait until your cabinets are painted and do NOT paint the island gray - I don't think that's going to work at all. Take this one step at a time - cabinets, backsplash, wall paint.

• barncatz
    5 years ago

After reading your thread, I wandered into some real estate photos of a house for sale on the east coast. Here is their kitchen: [click to enlarge photos]

I understand what it feels like to not be wild about your counters. I really, really wanted marble but my husband really liked a Colonial White granite slab he saw. It was our first granite too.

People are often thrown with big decorating changes, especially when, as here, you've got old and new mixed together.

Your granite is really pretty neutral and will not clash with a leather sofa. I would recommend, like everyone else, that you keep to a pretty strict palette, as they did in the above kitchen. No to Accessible Beige. Stay white or very very pale grey. Black is your friend. You may find that adding lighting or changing light bulbs is good.

I hope these photos help you feel better about your choice. Your house looks very pretty. It will be fine, so you can stop beating yourself up now.

ohconnell thanked barncatz
  • ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen. I like their countertop ; ). Thank you for posting the inspiration with the photos barncatz and your encouraging words. Yes, it looks like I will need to go a different direction with color then I originally planned. I hope to make this work, one step at a time. Thank you.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

I agree with other posters. Get the cabinets painted and then re-evaluate. I wasn't thrilled with the granite counter top in our powder room. Painted the white vanity an espresso color and now the granite looks great! Good luck!

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    I strongly advise you to challenge the painter on his choice of paints. Chalk paint will NOT work on kitchen cabinets. You need something made for cabinets.
    I suggest getting poster board, lots of it, and start painting some whites that you can hang around the kitchen. Keep in mind that your lighting, if too yellow, will confuse your eyes, so make sure you have daylight bulbs, not warm incandescent.
    The all white inspiration photos look great. Your kitchen will too.
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Before choosing any more colors for space, try changing the light bulbs to daylight bulbs. The current bulbs are giving off a yellow hue which will effect everything. Choose colors by seeing them in daylight & correct bulb hue.

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

Agree on not to go with Annie Sloan chalk paint for a kitchen.

I highly recommend General Finishes milk paint. I've no clue why they call it milk paint since it hardens to a very tough (indoor and outdoor approved) finish. It works like a dream with minimal surface prep.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/cabinet-paint-rave-dsvw-vd~3485219?n=29

If you google General Finishes, they have lots of advice and pictures of other kitchen projects, incl a list of all the various colors that can be mixed.

• ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The woman who I was going to hire swears by the Annie Sloan chalk paint. I asked her multiple questions about durability, chipping, wiping, water spots etc... She has painted her own cabinets and loves them and no one has complained whose cabinets she has painted she said. She has a licensed business with photos of beautiful kitchens she has done. I am apprehensive especially now with your input. Our kitchen gets a lot of use and going white I will be wiping them alot and cleaning them. We have had a St. Bernard who is apart of our home and I am always wiping up after him when he shakes it off. :) I wonder if I could do the General Finish milk paint myself? Do you have a tutorial you used nosoccermom? I will get another estimate as well from another painter.

Thank you for the information on the lighting artistharonova. I was not aware. I've tried different bulbs and I've never been happy with the lighting. Daylight bulbs, any wattage?

Thank you for the helpful information!

• stillpitpat
    5 years ago

There are a few recent threads on here where lighting is discussed, if you want to search. Personally, I would recommend bright white, which is roughly 3200k - 3500k. It won't be all warm and yellowy, but it's not like an operating room or store either. I find daylight (around 5000k) to be too bright. As far as wattage goes, if you are doing a dimmer switch, get the highest wattage your fixtures allow. You can have your kitchen nice and bright when you need it, and you can tone it down the rest of the time.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Wattage (or better, light output/lumens) of each individual bulb will depend on your fixtures, how many, how they are spaced, can you use LED bulbs (I highly recommend)….. you might consider dropping into a nearby lighting store, if one is nearby, to get advice.

All that said, I used 800 lumen, 3000k LEDs in my ceiling cans and to me they are perfect -- not too yellow, not too cool blue (daylight). 4000k were not available to me then, but they might be okay -- I personally wouldn't like higher than that, that would be too cool/blue for my taste, even though natural sunlight is in that range..

• ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

found another local painter who is going to give me an estimate, here's what he said,

"I use Sherwin William's Emerald Acrylic Enamel infused with urethane in semi gloss or satin finish and yes it holds up very well and with the urethane cures very hard. I do a lot of bead board and trim on islands and would be happy to provide a free quote. Understand that you will still see the grain on painted oak cabinets. I paint over 75 kitchens per year and by far most are oak.

The process takes approximately 4 weeks to do correctly. I remove all drawer and door faces and the are degreased, de-glossed, sanded, oil primed noth sides, sanded again and finished with two coats of the Emerald in the color of your choice. All coats are sprayed at the shop. The frames are brushed and rolled onsite using same process. "

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Annie Sloane be damned. Chalk paint is not for a cabinetry paint expense! Get a pro paint job. You are only hating your selection because it is cool, and all else in your environment is currently warm, right down to your wall color.

Stop that chalk thing RIGHT now. Please. It will ensure nothing but a home Joe, amateur waste of your money.. A pro job is door and drawer face removal, a conversion varnish spray in a booth designed for that............proper prep, all of it. Call it off until you are ready to do it correctly.

ohconnell thanked JAN MOYER
  • guardsfarm
    5 years ago
    Did mine myself, used Sherwin Williams. Over oak cabinets. 3coats of primer, 2 coats of paint. With brush finish (I like brush finish better) took my time. (I went with a very very light green) They are 3 years old now, I marvel at finish. Have friend who had professional do hers, she's had multiple issues with hers, chipping and such. Have used chalk paint on furniture, it's ok. (Nice to do not have to do prep) but I find with chalk, it's best to wax again after a few months. Patience is needed with cabinets. And having a light hand with paint and brush. I swear by Sherwin Williams, but we don't have Benjamin Moore around here. Good luck, sometimes we have to grow in love with things, not immediate. And not to be snarky but remember it's a 1st world problem. You are blessed to be able to afford granite. Peace
    ohconnell thanked guardsfarm
  • Flo Mac
    5 years ago

I totally agree with everyone in regards to the painting process of your cabinets. Spraying, etc. is the best way to go. Ask questions of the experts. Read and then read more. After a researching for more than a year, we went with a local family owned company (site built cabinets). Because we were not doing a rip out/replacement the company we used was suggested to us by a cabinet company the did replacement cabinet work. With our company, Dad owned the business, mom was the color expert/designer. The son had a painting company of his own but he also did all the painting for the parents. The daughter was also color expert/designer. They not only did an expert paint job but they also added a perfect trim, replaced all the drawers and doors and treated the interior of the cabinets just as carefully and beautifully as they treated the exterior. Yes, the price was double what we originally expected but with their suggestions and quality work we now have a durable AND beautiful kitchen. Go the extra mile, do your research and ask lots of questions. You won't be sorry.

ohconnell thanked Flo Mac
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

I refinish a lot of furniture. Yes, chalk paint is durable, but I don't care for it because it had a dull, matte look. I won't use it again, because it cheapens the look of the furniture. I tried it once, & it was the 1 piece I had a hard time selling. I would not want it on my cabinets.

I suggest seeing an island in chalk paint in person to determine if you like it. What matters if if you like it;)

Example of chalk painted islands (images found online) I would Google images of chalk painted furniture & islands to see what the outcomes look like.

ohconnell thanked artistsharonva
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

I don't recommend chalk paint for kitchen cabinets unless wanting a distress or matte, or colored. Definitely, not white, prone to yellow.

But here's some Links on chalk paint experience, to see what others went through.

http://reignalayn.blogspot.com/2012/01/sos-why-is-my-annie-sloan-chalk-paint.html?m=1

https://www.whitelacecottage.com/2016/11/chalk-painted-kitchen-cabinets-never-again/

https://www.artsychicksrule.com/my-chalk-painted-cabinets-4-years-later/

https://www.sincerelysarad.com/repainted-chalk-painted-cabinets/

I suggest a Pro cabinet refinishing company who specializes in cabinet refacing or new factory painted cabinets. I have seen too many painted cabinet projects on Houzz in the field to risk it.

ohconnell thanked artistsharonva
  • PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

I think your granite countertops will look amazing with new kitchen cabinets. Depending on the tone of your cabinets, you can go with either white or gray backsplash -- check out marble backsplash tile -- it can go amazingly well with both options and very nice with your natural stone countertop. Good luck with your project! I hope it will be just what you wanted!

ohconnell thanked Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
  • Angela Bickford
    5 years ago

I'm going to second (or third or fourth) the people saying not to use Annie Sloan chalk paint on your cabinets. I've used it on furniture and it's okay, but definitely does not have the durability to endure the wear and tear of a kitchen.

ohconnell thanked Angela Bickford
  • ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Guardsfarm, I don't think you were snarky at all. I thought the same thing myself. I was just so disappointed when I first saw them when I came home from work. I was thrilled to be getting the upgrade. Jan Moyer you hit the nail on the head! - "You are only hating your selection because it is cool, and all else in your environment is currently warm, right down to your wall color." It's going to take one step at a time, but it will get there, thank you! I do have two local painters of cabinets coming to give me an estimate. I posted what the 1st painter said above. They both spray the doors and drawers. Thank you!

• dmgilkey55
    5 years ago
    This is my kitchen. I painted the cabinets white and used white subway tile. My granite is almost the exact same as yours. It works fine with beige and ivory in the adjoining rooms.
  • ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dmglikey55. Your kitchen is beautiful I love it! What color white did you use on the cabinets? Did you paint them yourself? I was thinking of the white subway too. What color are your walls? It is more inspiration! Thank you!

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

Regarding General Finishes, here is a link with directions.

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/cabinet-paint-rave-dsvw-vd~3485219?n=29[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/cabinet-paint-rave-dsvw-vd~3485219?n=29)

I didn't follow a tutorial but used the General Finishes website, and especially the advice from the woodworking people in the store that sells the product locally.

As far as chalk paint, does your painter suggest a poly top coat or wax to protect the surface against water, grease, etc.?

ohconnell thanked nosoccermom
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Hopefully dmgilkey will let you know the paints they used. I see not only the cabinets being painted in your future but all the walls and trim. You want to find that sweet spot wall tone that reads warm grey so it blends w your counters but doesn’t look off w your upholstered items. SW Modern Grey might work. You may see the design domino effect happen w window treatments as I’d see a more white white drape vs what you have.
    ohconnell thanked thinkdesignlive
  • delanev
    5 years ago
    I echo the remarks about the painting of the cabinets as well as selecting the right lighting and bulbs. GE Reveal for can lighting has been a strong force in our household as they also have dimming capability. Would also recommend adding some rather substantial cabinet hardware in silver or black to support the gray and black tones in your granite. If you wanted to modernize, you could lean on the base color you select for the cabinet as a base with some silver or black highlights or threads via your window dressing (bespoke flat, roman-style curtain, roller shade, etc.). Would add a rug last for a little softness and warmth.

You’re on the right track; be of good cheer.
    ohconnell thanked delanev
  • dmgilkey55
    5 years ago
    I used Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Acrylic in a satin finish. I can’t remember the color but I’ll check when I get home. I painted them 2 years ago and they have held up beautifully. Not a single chip. They get lots of abuse from grandkids and my dog. It’s not hard to paint them. However it’s not a quick project. No cutting corners. I cleaned, lightly sanded, clean again. 2 coats of oil based primer. Then 3 coats of paint. Lightly sanding between coats. They were all painted with small roller and good quality paint brush. The paint is self leveling if you don’t overwork it.

The walls are Sherwin Williams Repose Gray. All the trim is painted the same color as the cabinets. It works well with ivory, beige, and linen.

I’ll let you know the cabinet color later this evening.
    ohconnell thanked dmgilkey55
  • dmgilkey55
    5 years ago
    The color of my cabinets is Sherwin Williams Alabaster
    ohconnell thanked dmgilkey55
  • vintagestuf
    5 years ago

Empathize on what you consider to be a bad decorating choice. Been there and done that. Since you are not pleased with your choice in granite, please don't make another important decision without researching how and what kind of paint to use on your cabinets. If you choose to listen to the chalk advisor, buy a small sample and paint a board and see how it feels to the touch and how it cleans. The name chalk says it all. Also, give yourself time to adjust to the cooler colors. Once the cabinets are white, you will have an up-to-date modern looking kitchen.

Luna Pearl Granite Kitchen Countertops · More Info

ohconnell thanked vintagestuf
  • ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Vintagestuff they are my countertops, love ❤️ the kitchen You are right, my eye and mind initially did not like the countertop. It’s taken time to adjust and I look forward to having the cabinets painted white. Dmglikey55 I had an estimate yesterday and the painter suggested alabaster. Love the repose grey for the walls. It’s on the list of potential colors, thank you! Delanev thank you for the lighting recommendation. Everyone who took the time to give info, ideas, opinions, and educate thank you! Love ❤️ the photo inspirations!

• AC LB
    5 years ago

Can't wait to see if you go w/ alabaster. I'm planning to repaint my antique (yellowish) white cabitets that color. I look forward to seeing how you like it! Your kitchen is going to look wonderful!

ohconnell thanked AC LB
  • ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I still haven't had my cabinets painted yet. I got 4 estimates and hopefully we'll be scheduling the painting soon with the selected painter. Later we will paint the walls looking at SW Sedate grey right now, but wondering about the Repose Grey dmglikey55 used on her walls. We do not do anything quick. I picked out the granite quick and that was a mistake, but it's growing on me and trying to bring it all together within our budget. I did change up the lightbulbs (lighting in the kitchen) and got new glass globes for the pendants, nothing expensive, but a little change that has helped. I will post photos when the cabinets are painted, no date set yet. Thanks again for your help!

• Monis Gonzalez
    5 years ago

Can’t wait to see the result. Hopefully you love it.

• Barbara
    5 years ago

Don't be in a hurry to pick a paint color. Wait until you get the cabinets painted. It helps me to paint a large heavy paper with the paint color and hold it vertically in the room (since walls are vertical) to make certain that the undertones in the wall color and cabinets are compatible. And you can move the paint sample around the room. Better to try samples than paint the whole room to make a decision. Sometimes the light in different areas of the room can make the paint look lighter or darker. Since your countertop is the most visible part of your kitchen, the other elements need to be light and calmer than the countertop. Once everything is finished, take time to style your kitchen with some pretty (but useful) things on the countertop. When you see the finished product, you may be amazed at how well the "big picture" looks as opposed to just looking at the isolated countertop. In the end, I bet you will like it better than you do now.

• sonicgal
    5 years ago

What is the name of your new granite that you are not in love with ?

• ohconnell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sonicgal......white caledonia... i think it goes by another name too. It's at the top of the post.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Barbara Everett is right. Get a lot of poster board and paint all the colors you are considering on large samples. Then hang them around the kitchen. You will get a much better idea of how the color options work with your new granite. Do the same for the wall color and the island. I’ve done that every time I’ve needed to paint and it has saved me from a few mistakes I might have made. Glad you’re taking your time. I like the granite you chose. It will all look great once the cabinets and walls are redone.
  • User
    5 years ago

I think it will look great with white cabinets and a paint with a touch of gray. Whenever I do anything to the house that is a big change I don't like it at first simply because it's so different than I'm used to seeing. Please add pics when you get the cabinets done!

• kulrn
    5 years ago

Was following back in Dec. Can't wait to see the results!