SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_trel

Help with kitchen/family room/bath floor plan

Matt Trel
5 years ago

Hello all,

I’m looking for some help on a floor plan layout. Rooms involved are the kitchen, family room and half bath. Any opinions would be appreciated. I have a 1978 Colonial in CT. The original floor plan was very closed off and the rooms seem sort of out of place to me. I am considering swapping the location of the kitchen and family room. It just seems odd to me that the two rooms of basically the same function are next to each other. Also, I think being able to access the family room, living room and screened in porch from the kitchen would make sense. I have opened up the area, moved the laundry upstairs and removed some walls already. Now I’m going back and forth trying to decide on a floor plan. I had a professional come in but some things she insists on I am not crazy about. Attached are the plans from before I started the work as well as some I was experimenting with. The plan on the graph paper is from the designer

Things we would like:

Easy access from the backyard pool area to the bathroom. Prefer wood floors in the family room and even the kitchen with tile from an outside entrance to the bathroom to avoid wet wood floors. This would require the ½ bath be somewhere close to one of the three backyard entrances.

If the kitchen is to only have an island with no table then it must seat at least 4 comfortably. The current dining room would have a table open to the kitchen so maybe this shouldn’t be a deal breaker. The designers island seems too small width wise and also only has a 12 inch overhang.

Distance between island and countertops should be 48 inches at least. The designers plan shows 42 inches. I placed a piece of plywood on our current kitchen island to try 42 inches and it was too narrow. The bathroom she designed is also a little narrow with about 52 inches from the wall behinh the toilet to the wall in front of the toilet.

I’m flexible on the plan and most concerned about resale value. ‘m just looking for advice on general layout not specific kitchen cabinet/appliance locations at this point.

Designers plan. Each square is 6 inches.

Thanks for any advice,

Comments (10)