We are safely in december...

amylou321

So I can ask. Do you have a favorite Christmas movie? One that you have to see every year?

While I have a lot of Christmas movies that I love,it's not Christmas until I watch a trio of Christmas Carol variations:

The Muppet Christmas Carol (my favorite) Scrooge the musical with Albert Finney and the one with George c Scott.

The first has my favorite scrooge: Michael Caine. And my favorite ghost of Christmas present.

The second has the only ghost of Christmas past that I like. Plus I am a bit of a sucker for musicals.

And the last because my parents watched it every year while I was growing up,and it just doesn't seem right without it. Even though I don't think they do anymore.

I also have to watch elf at least once.

At work,I have a projector that I play Christmas movies on as part of my decor. It is fun to see people of all ages stop and watch and smile at some of the old classics: Rudolph, frosty the snowman, Charlie brown,among others,and on the weekends, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

So what about it? Any must see Christmas movies for you?

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
functionthenlook

White Christmas is my favorite.

Save     Thanked by amylou321
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I think I watched the National Lampoons ten years in a row. But the last couple of years it has just been one or two Hallmark movies a weekend in December. Watched the first Santa Claus a few times and loved it. The one with the “bad” Santa just twice.

Rusty

I've been watching Christmas movies on TV almost every night for a month or so now, And I'm recording the ones that I don't get to watch. I think I'll have enough recorded to last me most of the summer!

But I almost never watch a movie more than once, so no, there aren't any that are a traditional part of Christmas for me.

May I ask, are we going to get to see pictures of your Christmas decorations? You did share your Halloween decorations, and you've talked about the Christmas ones so much, I'd love to see them, and I'm sure many others here would, too. I just can't invision those individually wrapped ceiling tiles. Or wrapped file cabinets, either!

Rusty

amylou321

Sure! I took some with the lights(the real lights) on and some with them off and just the Christmas lights on,which is how I like to have them when I am here.

This is the "other side" where people come in to get their paperwork. That is National Lampoons on the projector.

Another view from that side.

My side

More on my side.

The ceiling. Part of it anyway. Sorry my phone camera lens is broken and doesn't take the best pictures, but I think you can get the gist...There are 14 large tiles,8 medium tiles,and 3 small tiles. They each have a different paper.

Lights on! The big file cabinet.

And the little one. The paper is a little frayed already,because SOME PEOPLE JUST CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!!! And yes,that is the leg lamp on top of it.

Where we make the coffee...

Another ceiling pic....

The view of the other side from my chair....did I mention that I also wrap the walls? And the fridge?

3 Likes Save    
amylou321

The icicle light are twinkle lights,so they are not all lit up in the pictures,but the effect IRL is just lovely.

Save    
amylou321

these might show the ceiling a little better......

2 Likes Save    
Rusty

Holy Schmoly! ! That is amazing! ! It's even better than your past descriptions. I love te labels (what I can read of them) on the file drawers, too. So cute!

Thank you for posting the pictures! ! !

Now, (mumbling to self) what can I do to brighten things up a bit around here. Hm-m-m-m. . . .

Rusty

maire_cate

I'll bet your decorations and lights bring a lot of smiles to your visitors.

My favorite movie is A Christmas Story. We always turn it on on Christmas morning when my adult kids come over for breakfast and to open presents. It's a perennial favorite.

amylou321

Rusty, my advice is just start wrapping things and don't stop until you run out of paper. Then grab the lights.........

1 Like Save    
aok27502

Your work space would make me dizzy!

As for movies, we don't watch any specifically. But we must watch Charlie Brown's Christmas every year.

1 Like Save     Thanked by amylou321
chisue

I might be up for "Miracle on 34th Street" -- been a long time since I watched that golden oldie. Gosh, Natalie Wood!

I suppose we won't be able to dodge "It's a Wonderful LIfe". (Not my cup of tea.)

Janie

Six Weeks is my favorite Christmas movie, but you need a few tissues, or maybe more than a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWC9iSjUf4I  

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

The Bishop's Wife.

lily316

Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life.

amylou321

Aok, do you mean dizzy with Christmas spirit????????

Save    
Fun2BHere

I don't have a Christmas movie that I have to watch, but I tend to watch my favorites scenes from The Holiday and Love, Actually sometime around the holidays.

Lars

Favorite Christmas movie is Auntie Mame, but I don't watch it every year.

PRO
Anglophilia

I love the Christmas season but I "just say no" to practically all Christmas movies. I loved "White Christmas" when it first came out - I was 11 yrs old then. And I liked "It's a Wonderful Life" the first one or two times I saw it. I can't stand pop Christmas music - want mine traditional, sung by a boy's choir.

I know - I'm an old stick-in-the-mud but so what - I do Christmas the way I like it.

kadefol

Amylou, I love it!! I bet your office looks so sad and plain when all of the deco has been taken down after Christmas.

As for Christmas movies, definitely "Christmas in the Clouds". Native American Christmas movie filmed at the Sundance Resort in Utah. Cute story, gorgeous scenery, even a cute little Warrior mouse. We watch it every year, and sometimes even in the summer to help cool off via all the snowy scenes.

amylou321

Kadefol, when I first take down the decor,be it Christmas or halloween, it is pathetic. A lot of people say it looks like a jail cell when it first comes down. Plain,off white cinder block walls. Ugh.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

Dang! That's quite the display! Nice job!

wildchild2x2

Miracle on 34th Street is my favorite. The original in black and white.

arcy_gw

Your display reminds me of the NO NO NO we get at work. Last year we moved into our new high school building. We were told nothing allowed on the painted walls The new paint needs to cure a full year. Nothing in the windows,blocking the light that is to shine through the transoms into the halls. No TAPE of any sort. Nothing personal or not DIRECTLY connected something being taught AT THE MOMENT allowed to be hung on the one small bulletin board. Then my daughter sent me a TED talk on what color and circles do to lift the spirits when used in schools.

Last night I watched White Christmas on Netflix vs my old VHS tape. The colors were soooo vivid!! I like the colorized version of Its a Wonderful life and Miracle of 34th street.

amylou321

We just got a new coat of paint. My solution? I put painters tape up, and taped the paper to the painters tape. I did it for halloween,and it came off perfectly.( except under the windows,which leak horribly, so the painters tape got wet and took the paint off. But that's hardly my fault,fix the windows. If you don't care that the windows leak,then what's the hub bub over the paint?)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Monthly Home Checklists To-Dos: Your December Home Checklist
Make your home warm and safe and set the mood for a happy holiday season you and your family will truly enjoy
Full Story
Monthly Home Checklists December Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
It's time to add weather stripping, plan for holiday home safety, consider backup heating, check your emergency kits and more
Full Story
Southwest Gardening Southwest Gardener's December Checklist
Make your garden a personal winter resort with lights, well-designed containers and plantings that please the eye
Full Story