Nauert next US ambassador to UN. Sadly, not from The Onion.

CindyMac(8b)

"President Donald Trump is expected to nominate State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert to be the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations."

https://apnews.com/dc5f760ab97d4bf68839e41d907f01b8?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

SaveComment28Like1
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ziemia(6a)

Well, he indicated being glamorous would be important to being nominated.

2 Likes Save    
cyn427(zone 7, Northern VA)

I suspect there are fewer and fewer qualified people willing to work for this administration, hence the nominations of people who will be in way over their heads in just about every department.

5 Likes Save    
blfenton

Trump told reporters last month that Nauert was “excellent,” adding, “She’s been a supporter for a long time.” - from the OP link

Bold is mine and is the only qualification one now needs.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

I don't know much about Nauert, but when I've seen her speaking, it's impressive. She's incredibly composed IMO.

1 Like Save    
nopartyghost

^^^^ That's all it takes to be qualified? That means The actor who plays Young Sheldon" could be the ambassador.

eta : changed impressive to qualified.

5 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

Can she really do the job...she may be composed, but !Plucked from Fox by the White House to serve as State Department spokeswoman, Nauert catapulted into the upper echelons of the agency’s hierarchy when Tillerson was fired in March and replaced with Mike Pompeo. Nauert was then appointed acting undersecretary of state for public diplomacy and public affairs and was for a time the highest-ranking woman and fourth highest-ranking official in the building.

Nauert, who did not have a good relationship with Tillerson and had considered leaving the department, told associates at the time she was taken aback by the promotion offer and recommended a colleague for the job. But when White House officials told her they wanted her, she accepted.

That role gave her responsibilities far beyond the news conferences she held in the State Department briefing room. She oversaw public diplomacy in Washington and all of the roughly 275 overseas U.S. embassies, consulates and other posts. She was in charge of the Global Engagement Center that fights extremist messaging from the Islamic State group and others, and she has a seat on the U.S. Agency for Global Media that oversees government broadcast networks such as Voice of America.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"^^^^ That's all it takes to be qualified? That means The actor who plays Young Sheldon" could be the ambassador.

eta : changed impressive to qualified."

No, which is why this comment in no way relates to what I said. I have no idea what her qualifications are (yet).

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Being totally unqualified is the only qualification necessary for a plum job in this administration.

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Prior to working as a journalist, Heather Nauert worked as a government affairs consultant on issues like Social Security, health insurance, and taxes. She was also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations in New York City, a US nonprofit think-tank that specialized in US foreign policy and international affairs.

2 Likes Save    
MissMyGardens

Heather Nauert is experienced in news presentation which can include from the State Dept. podium.

Heather Nauert has NO foreign policy or diplomatic experience.

Bolton wants the position of UN Ambassador taken out of the Cabinet which has been done before. He detests the UN and wants to be sure anything represented by US Ambassador goes through him, reflects his twisted world view and does not have direct access to the President. Bolton is in job he's got because it doesn't require Senatorial confirmation which he would not obtain.

If would be dereliction of duty for the Senate to confirm her for this position.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

It's mostly a power move on Pompeo and Bolton's part. Both of them want the position downgraded from a cabinet position and want someone they can control.

I'll give her one thing she's got to know more about Foreign policy than Trump does !!!!

Goes to show once again, loyalty and a good TV presence are more important to Trump than experience..

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Kelly is going, heard it before, but it is news again this morning.

Hannity is sitting by the phone with butterflies.

1 Like Save    
bob_cville

> If would be dereliction of duty for the Senate to confirm her for this position.

Dereliction of duty is the Republican Senate's go-to move.

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Nicky Haley was a governor. Heather Nauert was a member of the Council on Foreign Relations in New York City, a US nonprofit think-tank that specialized in US foreign policy and international affairs, and now a spokesperson for the state dept. Why do you think Haley has better creds?

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

And, she looks glamorous, which is an important qualification for 45.

Save    
Becca Reese

What qualifications did Hillary have when her husband handed her 20% of our economy and tasked her with healthcare?

2 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

The 3rd-wave feminists never fail to fail women with whom they disagree ideologically.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Why do you think Haley has better creds?

Because she expressed negative opinions about the president in the past, and they enjoyed that?

1 Like Save    
elvis

"Glamorous"? She looks pretty clean and tidy to me.

Save    
d_gw

The Council on Foreign Relations has 4,900 members. Nauert was previously a term member and not nominated to be a life member. Doesn't seem to be a stellar foreign policy accomplishment.

----------

There are two types of membership: life, and term membership, which lasts for 5 years and is available to those between 30 and 36. Only U.S. citizens (native born or naturalized) and permanent residents who have applied for U.S. citizenship are eligible. A candidate for life membership must be nominated in writing by one Council member and seconded by a minimum of three others.

from WIki

1 Like Save    
spanielgirl

Angelina Jolie and George Clooney are members. I don’t think it adds to her qualifications.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Hm. If Trump had selected either one of those ^^^ I suspect many lefties here would approve!

1 Like Save    
d_gw

Not a "leftie", just anti-Trump. Your suspicions are incorrect.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Trump's words on Haley recently:

“she made it a more glamorous position"

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

LOL at another appearance of "3rd wave feminism"

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

There are many conservatives who are appalled by Trump.

Ditto for Republicans.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

She is dumb as hell.. perfect Donnie pick.

Today is the anniversary of the height of Japanese-U.S relations Donnie fans!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/12/07/heather-nauert-cited-d-day-height-us-german-relations-now-shes-headed-un/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a03d626cc720

Heather Nauert cited D-Day as the height of U.S.-German relations.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

I wonder if she even knows how and why the United Nations came to be.

For those who can't get the Washington Post here is what I assume is a similar article from The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/07/un-ambassador-heather-nauert-fox-news-state-department

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Storage Houzz Call: Show Us Your Hardworking Pantry
Do you have a clever and convenient kitchen storage setup? Throw some light on the larder and share your pictures and strategies
Full Story 180
Edible Gardens Advice on Canyon Farming From L.A.'s Vegetable Whisperer
See how a screened garden house and raised beds help an edible garden in a Los Angeles canyon thrive
Full Story 44
Kitchen Layouts 7 Ways to Design Your Kitchen to Help You Lose Weight
In his new book, Slim by Design, eating-behavior expert Brian Wansink shows us how to get our kitchens working better
Full Story 134
Pristine Acres is committed to offering the highest-quality, most professional landscape design/installation... Read More