William Barr emerging as potential top pick to become new AG

Ann

He's very experienced, including once serving as H.W.'s AG.

SaveComment29Like
Comments (29)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ann

From WaPo, today:

"Former attorney general William Barr has emerged as Trump’s top pick to be the nominee for the full-time AG job, The Washington Post is reporting. Picking former president George H.W. Bush’s AG would seem a pretty safe and confirmable pick, on its surface.

But much like Whitaker, Barr’s past commentary has played down the severity of the allegations against Trump — on both the collusion and obstruction-of-justice fronts — and he has also suggested the Clintons should be in more trouble.

In fact, in November 2017, Barr told the New York Times that there was actually more basis to investigate Hillary Clinton for the Uranium One deal than there is to investigate Trump for potential collusion with Russia. He went so far as to say the Justice Department was wrong to give Clinton a pass."

Save    
Becca Reese

I think Barr is an excellent pick. Let's see if the MSM and Dems, who've been lionizing 41, will be as kind to the former AG.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

I think WaPo's comment about "pretty safe and confirmable pick" will cease to be the narrative if he becomes the nominee, but just my opinion. We'll see.

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

I think the WaPo may be being a tad dramatic. This is a guy who has stated he has absolute faith in Mueller, actually was Mueller's boss at one point. Says he is a man of character and integrity

He may have his opinions , but the one sense I get of this guy is that he is a man who respects the rule of law . He will do the right thing...but the right thing just may not be what the Trump supporters think the right thing is.

Be careful what you ask for...you may get it

2 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

We may get someone who respects Mueller? How is that a bad thing?

I don't think we're wishing for anything we'll regret. In fact, I'm betting the Dems will try to thwart his confirmation. After all, they have to posture for 2020.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

So far the word is he has biaprtisan support.....maybe Trump needs to rethink

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Barr wrote he understood why Trump fired Comey. Apparently it wasn't, as has been claimed here, a blatant attempt by Trump to protect himself. As we all know, Comey himself is under investigation.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Ann
mrskjun(9)

Barr has always had bipartisan support. He should sail through confirmation.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

This guy is not as Trumpian as some may think....I think he would be a good nominee

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

He likes Comey though. He just thinks he made a bad decision that July. Out of bounds.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Exactly, he belives Comey's handling of the announcement of the decision not to change Hilary broke long established protocols, as do I. However, he doesn't disagree with the decision. He also has great admiration for Mueller.

This guy is not a tool.....he will do what he believes is right by the law .....not out of a political bend.

When Trump figures all that out he may be in retink mode

1 Like Save    
Ann

It makes me think Trump is very, very comfortable in his repeated statements that he is innocent of any collusion. A guilty man might be looking for someone who would support him in corruption. Trump is clearly not doing that, IMO. I like it and what it is saying to me.

2 Likes Save    
margievank

Glad you are finding us interesting -F ;)

Save    
mrskjun(9)

Looks like I spoke to soon. Pelosi and Schumer are already dissing Barr. Trump could nominate the pope and dems would fight it.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Ann
cattyles

You got that right, sis. Buckle up.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

Looks like I spoke to soon. Pelosi and Schumer are already dissing Barr. Trump could nominate the pope and dems would fight it.

Of course they would, the pope would not be a good fit :)

Save    
Ann

Yeah, I think it's against the law for Dems to approve a single decision Trump makes. I don't think it will go easily. I think the Dems will build up opposition steam to Barr and I won't be surprised if they go too far in their opposition, as they often do.

Save    
chase_gw

I think that Barr will be approved, after appropriate and rigorous examination, with a good number of Dems onboard.

The job of the Senate is not to rubber stamp.......they need to challenge..it's their job.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Well, in the meantime, we've got Whitaker in place.

Save    
chase_gw

What does that even mean......we have Whitaker in place? Is the job of the AG of the United States of America to protect the President or is it to uphold the rule of law?

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"I think that Barr will be approved, after appropriate and rigorous examination, with a good number of Dems onboard.

The job of the Senate is not to rubber stamp.......they need to challenge..it's their job."

My comment about Whitaker was no more or no less than a response to this comment of yours. We have Whitaker in place while rigorous examinations and challenges take place, it that's what should occur. My comment had not one thing to do with the "job of the AG".

1 Like Save    
hericles

Barr was selected because of his pro-trump comments.

Save    
CindyMac(8b)

Comey likes him. Ann may want to change her mind.

Save    
momj47(7A)

William Barr Is Jeff Sessions Without the Baggage

It’s easy to see why Donald Trump nominated William Barr to serve as the next attorney general of the United States. Barr has spent more than a year publicly auditioning for the job, saying everything Trump plainly wants to hear: The president was right to fire FBI Director James Comey, to criticize special counsel Robert Mueller for hiring a number of Democratic prosecutors, to call for the investigation of Hillary Clinton over the Uranium One deal. Barr even told the New York Times that the Justice Department was “abdicating its responsibility” by investigating Trump’s associates but not the uranium deal, claiming, falsely, that there is more basis for scrutinizing Clinton than potential Russian collusion.

These views are both absurd and ominous given that, if confirmed, Barr will presumably oversee the Mueller probe. So, too, is Barr’s recommendation in 1992 that President George H.W. Bush pardon six key players in the Iran-Contra scandal, four of whom had already been convicted of lying to investigators. But the sad truth is that Barr is probably the least dangerous person Trump would plausibly choose to serve as America’s chief law enforcement officer. He is neither an outright hack like putativeActing Attorney General Matthew Whitaker nor a vicious but somewhat inept racist like former Attorney General Jeff Sessions. At best, Barr will competently execute Sessions’ brutal agenda. At worst, he will run interference for Trump behind the scenes in a manner that stretches the boundaries of executive authority.

Because Barr previously served as attorney general from 1991–93 under Bush, his ideology is mostly a matter of public record. It seems to align perfectly with the Trump administration’s policies and those of most Republican presidential administrations. At his confirmation hearings in 1991, Barr told the Senate that he does not believe the Constitution protects the right to abortion access. His Justice Department carried out that belief, urging the Supreme Court to overrule Roe v. Wade and uphold a law that, among other things, compelled married women to notify their husbands before terminating a pregnancy. (He lost.) There is little question that Barr will vigorously defend the Trump administration policy prohibitingunaccompanied immigrant minors from obtaining abortions, even in the case of rape.

Similarly, Barr has taken a hardline stance against LGBTQ rights. In a 1995 law-review article, he condemned “secularists” for using “law as a weapon” to “ratify, or put on an equal plane, conduct that previously was considered immoral”—namely, homosexuality. Barr condemned a D.C. law that prohibited Georgetown University from discriminating against a gay student group by denying them equal access to services and facilities. “This kind of law dissolves any form of moral consensus in society,” Barr wrote. Sessions would agree: As Alabama attorney general, he tried to prevent LGBTQ students from meeting at a public university, alleging that they would illegally promote “sodomy.”

Save    
azmom2018

The idiot could pick whoever he pleases, the problem is how long those whomever will stay.

May be Tumpesters could tell us how many he picked have left by now - this is just a simple counting the numbers, not too hard even for his minions.

Save    
mrskjun(9)

And Trump is still president.

2 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

And isn’t that a sad commentary on the state of American Constitutional Democracy, mrskjun

Save    
Ann

Why j47? He was elected.

1 Like Save    
Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating 101 Pick-a-Paint Help: How to Create a Whole-House Color Palette
Don't be daunted. With these strategies, building a cohesive palette for your entire home is less difficult than it seems
Full Story
Most Popular What Kind of Roses Should You Grow?
Want to add the beauty of roses to your garden? Find out which ones, from old-fashioned to modern, are right for you
Full Story
Doors 9 Daring Colors for Your Front Door
Stand out from the neighbors with a touch of neon green or a punch of hot pink
Full Story