Any crazy things you have had to do?

kathyg_in_mi

I went to the grocery store. It was not raining, so I parked in a low spot in the lot. While in the store, the skies opened up and it poured, when I came out the sun was shining. Well, I could get to the back door of my van so I put the groceries in there. But to get to the drivers door there was a huge puddle. I had just gotten new tennis shoes from the foot doc the day before and did not want to get them wet. So I took off my shoes and socks to wade to my door. Good thing I took them off, the “puddle” was over my ankles!

I don’t Park there any more!

Marylmi, that’s at Family Fare, beware!

SaveComment25Like7
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Unless it was the only parking space in the lot I would never park in a low spot. I learned that lesson many years ago when watching a cart roll down hill from the cart bin. No one had been at the bin since I walked out of the door so it was just one of those things that happens.

Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
always1stepbehind

I would have done the same thing too to save a new pair of shoes.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
marylmi

Ha Kathy! I had to do the same thing at McDonalds in Oscoda. I parked, went in to eat and update my iPad and in the meantime it was pouring rain. I didn't realize I was in a low spot plus the driveway dipped down enough that when I came out I had to wade across up to my ankles! Took off my shoes and drove home in my bare feet! Also, be careful if wearing tennis shoes through water, then go into a store with tile floor..kind of scary!

1 Like Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
Hareball

This isn't something I had to do but your story reminded me of something that happened to me. My husband and I had made a trip to New York. It had been snowing. We aren't used to snow lol We had been walking along and a few times saw melted snow but would step on it and it was a tiny puddle. We were at a cross walk and I saw a puddle but couldn't tell how deep it was. Took a step and the water was up to my calf. :\ Had to walk around the freezing city with a wet leg lol

aok27502

I did that exact thing in a hotel parking lot. I could have parked around the side of the lot, nearer my room, but I chose to park in the more lighted area in front.

Overnight, we had a huge rain storm. I came out in the morning, and there was water ankle deep around my car. I could get to the tailgate to put my luggage in, but I couldn't crawl in that way because I can't shut it from inside. So I took off my shoes and socks and waded to the front. Fortunately it was in the spring, so it wasn't cold water.

PRO
Capitol Granite

Oh wow Kathy! I think If I were in the same circumstance as you, I most definitely would have done the same exact thing!

Janie

My little Chevy Chevette was covered with ice and the 4 doors were frozen shut one winter morning (a long time ago) and I couldn't get into it to get the heater/defroster going. The tailgate for some reason did open and so I crawled in and over the seats and got everything working so I could drive to work. I had a lot of frustrating mornings when I lived in that apartment complex because it seemed like I always got plowed in before work and had to get out early and shovel myself out and then go back in and shower and dress and sometimes, find myself shoveling again.

marylmi

Years ago I went to wash my car in the winter. One door in the car wash was froze solid with ice so you had to back up to leave. I closed the other door to keep out the wind and as I was hosing off the car, a belt fell to the floor from above. I finished and when I tried the door, nothing happened. My first reaction was panic thinking there was no way out and I couldn't run the car in a closed space. No one was around of course, so I tugged on the door enough to raise it so I could crawl out and walk to the nearest store. I can get into some really odd situations!

bpath Oh Sophie

Kind of like Janie's story. I came out from the office to find sleet had covered my little Honda hatchback and iced over the doors. I could wedge up the hatch, though, and crawl in. Of course I had decided to wear kind of a short skirt that day...good thing it was dark out!

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

It would have been crazier to ruin your new shoes!

kathyg_in_mi

Janie’s story reminded me of a time I was at the store, 6 months pregnant by the way, and some jerk parked so close to the drivers door I had to crawl into the back of my 1972 Ford Pinto hatchback to get to the drivers seat. That was fun!

Marylmi, the car wash could have been really scary. Glad you used your head!

1 Like Save    
marilyn_c

Last winter I got my boots stuck so deep in the mud here, that I couldn't pull them out. I stepped out of them and left them....and they remain there to this day. That is when I decided that I am going to leave this place. It may take awhile.....but I am gone!

colleenoz

I did that with a pair of sandals once, Marilyn! I was visiting a friend and the local authorities had just installed a curb outside her house (it’s a very small country town and not all the roads have curbs or even asphalt in some cases) but they hadn’t packed the dirt sidewalk well. It rained and while the sidewalk _looked_ OK, in fact it was more like quicksand and when I walked across it I was stuck fast.

I had to slip my feet out of the sandals to get away, though I did manage to save the sandals. This was a good thing as I have hard to fit feet so rarely have more than one pair of sandals at a time because I hate the hassle of shoe shopping.

nannygoat18

There's no sacrifice too great to save new shoes!

PRO
Anglophilia

I often wear Belgian shoes. They are a handmade shoe and one does not wear them in bad weather. I was in NYC and it unexpectedly started raining. I took those shoes off and carried them til I could find a cab. Not ruining my Belgians!

OklaMoni

I only lived in Florida for 2 month. But I can tell you, that is perfectly normal as far as rain is concerned. Yep, I would also have taken my shoes off. :)

Moni

nicole___

I think I'm the queen of "crazy", don't want to ruin my shoes OR clothes.

I once went to a homeless shelter, a coworker walked with me, in the winter(pitch dark)....which was near where I parked...to ask for an old towel and a knife. The towel was to throw under my car......so I could crawl under it while wearing my nice work clothes(silk blouse, London Fog trench coat)....to cut the strap....that held the hide-a-key. Since I'd left my keys in the ladies bathroom. Someone turned the keys in to security...and they closed before I got off work. I had a 90 mile drive to get home.....after I got my set of spare keys.

kathyg_in_mi

Moni, the rain was in Michigan. I expect it here in FL!

Save    
always1stepbehind

break into motorhome in 95+ degree heat to get ss card for a family member to over night across the country....after getting in and it was even hotter inside than outside I realized I could have reached in and grabbed the case it was in without having to stack trash can/lawn chair etc to be able to climb in through drivers side window. I was well rewarded though ;-)

kathyg_in_mi

1step, We do what we gotta do, even if we coulda done it easier!!!

Save    
jemdandy

Where I worked, the employees were assigned parking spaces by row in a large lot behind the building. There weren't enough spaces to accommodate everyone, therefore the hapless ones had to hoof it from the overflow lot. The distance from the overflow lot was great enough to qualify for morning exercise. Naturally, there was a pecking order of who got to be near the building. New hires were assigned to the overflow unless they were management. With this arrangement, about half of the drafting department was in the overflow lot. A culture of banter existed in the drafting department about relating your position to the location of your parking spot.

One day, one of the draftsmen was given notice that he had been awarded a spot in the coveted lot. His ego swelled. He had been the butt of the office banter and now he was 'elevated'. His elation lasted 3 days. A cold wave rolled through one winter day. That evening when he went to his car to go home, he discovered that everything on the driver's side was welded shut by a thick layer of ice! His parking spot was beside a vent that spewed humid air. He had a half inch of ice on the left side of the windshield; He could not open the driver's door.

The next day, he stopped talking about his parking spot.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I dropped my keys in a porta potty.

kathyg_in_mi

Rhizo, you win if you retrieved them! LOL!

Save    
watchmelol

When DH and I were first married and bought our first home we went through a walk through and noticed several simple things that had to be fixed, replaced or were missing or broken.

They assured as that they would get every done promptly by move in day. HA!! Sure they did. We moved in one cold night and slept on the living room floor in sleeping bags. The power hadn't been turned on. In the morning we got the power thing settled and looked around. Several things that were supposed to be addressed but were not. To make a long story short they kept giving us the run around.

So after a time, disgusted and done with their lies, I decided I was going to take what we needed from another unsold house on the street. So at night I would go in through the garage side entry and then to the house from there while DH kept lookout. I was pretty fast at loiding locks back then. Then I would go in and take the things we needed like toilet paper holders, towel bars, replacements for broken light switches etc.

I did this for about a week. What I didn't know working in darkness was that the entire garage was a huge mass of black widow spiders and nests. The house had stood empty for so long that the spiders took over.

kathyg_in_mi

Oh my!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 8 Kitchen Amenities You'll Really Wish You Had
Keep kitchen mayhem and muck to a minimum with these terrific organizers and other time-saving, mess-preventing features
Full Story 191
Living Rooms The Beautiful Thing About Dad's Chair
My father had his own spot in the house. His father had his own spot. Now I have mine
Full Story 146
We offer a variety of services for renovations, upgrades and new design for your home! We also do small... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More