“The floor of Congress is now going to look like an Islamic republic,”

GOD

Conservative pastor (and trump supporter) commentator E.W. Jackson went on an anti-Islamic tirade on his radio show Wednesday, complaining that Muslims are taking over Congress.

Jackson's remarks were in response to reports that Democrats are attempting to change a rule banning headwear on the floor of the House to accommodate incoming Muslim lawmakers such as Ilhan Omar, who was recently elected in Minnesota.

“The floor of Congress is now going to look like an Islamic republic,” Jackson said. “We are a Judeo-Christian country. We are a nation rooted and grounded in Christianity and that’s that. And anybody that doesn’t like that, go live somewhere else. It’s very simple. Just go live somewhere else. Don’t try to change our country into some sort of Islamic republic or try to base our country on Sharia law.”

Jackson in May lost a Republican primary to represent Virginia in the Senate and before that was the Republican nominee for lieutenant governor in the state in 2013.

During his radio show, he claimed that multiple women will be wearing hijab on the House floor to honor Omar and not because they are themselves Muslim.

“The fact that we’re electing these people to Congress and electing them to office is just beyond the pale,” he said. “Now, don’t get me wrong, I believe in the freedom of religion, I believe in the First Amendment, but I’ll tell you what, I’m not voting for a Muslim to serve in any office. Me, personally, I’m not doing it. I’m not doing it. Period. I’m not doing it.”

Jackson said he is not Islamaphobic, but simply does not agree with the religion.

“The threat to humanity is not merely radical Islam,” he added. “The threat to humanity is Islam, period. That’s right, I said it and I mean it.”

SaveComment31Like
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodnymph2_gw

Woeful ignorance on his part re the religion of Islam. Islam began as a peaceful religion under the Prophet. It transmorphed in Arabia in the 17oo's into a more violent sect when the Wa'Habi took over. At that point, the mission radically changed, and it was that form of Islam that the terrorists of 9-11 followed.

5 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Wahhabism is the official form of Islam in Saudi Arabia ... y'all remember they are the BFFs of the Trump. Probably why he doesn't pray in a Christian church.

10 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

If this fool believes in the freedom of religion as he says, what does he mean when elsewhere he claims the exclusiveness of what he is calling a Judeo-Christian country, grounded in Christianity? The man talks rubbish.

10 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

Excellent! Our Congress should look like the people of our country. It's about time.

13 Likes Save    
josephene_gw

Sheesh, what does the people of our country look like?

Maybe Native American?

3 Likes Save    
GOD

I look forward to our govt become more diversified

8 Likes Save    
Iowacommute

Our country benefits when there are a variety of ideas and discussion.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by GOD
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Yes, if nothing else we'll have some relief from gray suits, blue ties and white shirts. I've seen some really pretty hijabs. That pastor is a bigoted idiot.

5 Likes Save    
purrmich _6

An idiot and stupid to boot.

Such a good trump minion.

1 Like Save    
elvis

I would love to see the Congress critters wearing fascinators. I say, headgear all around, men too.

As Ingrid implied, the dress habits over there are staid. Mix it up, have some fun.

1 Like Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

These critters should crawl back in their hole.

Save    
sableincal

"Islam began as a peaceful religion under the Prophet. It transmorphed in Arabia in the 1700s into a more violent sect."

This is historically, categorically, and verifiably untrue. By the last part of Mohammed's life he had formed Muslim armies who were at war with their neighbors in Arabia. This is recounted in the Quran. Muslim armies then went on to seize mastery of the Arabian Peninsula and then headed west - all the way across Egypt and North Africa to the Atlantic shores of Morocco and up into Spain - and north - through the Levant to Turkey, Greece, the Balkans, and Rumania and Bulgaria - and east - through modern Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and so important, western India. Read the accounts of the Moghul takeover of part of India. They are almost unreadably violent. All of this territory had been conquered by 850 A.D.

Islam did not seize one third of the known world by sending genteel missionaries, and peddlers, and barbers out along dusty paths through waterless deserts. That is not how the great empires of the past were formed. It sent its armies. And it didn't lack for recruits. The Quran states that the most noble way to die is as a Shaheed, a martyr in a religious jihad. Men hastened to enter the fray, and armies grew as they proceeded, joined by new converts eager to prove themselves. Sometimes after a difficult battle had been won and the enemy destroyed, towers of enemy skulls would be built to celebrate, and to warn.

In fact, Saddam Hussein tried a modern version of this kind of celebration. At the largest intersection in Baghdad he built towers across from each other on the street corners. Each tower ended in a huge hand (modeled on his, of course). Between the hands was stretched a net, actually I'm not sure that it also wasn't constructed of steel. And inside the net were masses of helmets taken from the bodies of Iranian soldiers killed during the Iran-Iraq war.

Some in the West - people who have not read history - think that pointing out the way the Muslim Empires spread is somehow shameful, that it's better, more correct, to think that entire countries were conquered by peaceful Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, going out two-by-two on preaching missions. But the fact is that Muslims themselves are enormously proud of their history. They took an immense amount of land and created a great civilization as they moved. There is a huge literature in Arabic, much of it written at the time these events took place, describing in detail and extolling the victories of Islam-on-the-march. We note and describe the brutality of Greek and Roman history/expansion without thinking that this is a slur against those peoples. No, it is simply what happened.

The best book I've read on this subject is A History of the Arabs, by Philip K. Hitti. Hitti was Lebanese-American and was an internationally renowned scholar. Also useful are the bibliographies at the end of Wikipedia articles. Enjoy!

Happy Hannukah,

Sable

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Thank you Sable. You never fail to provide much-needed information. Now if only it gets read!

1 Like Save    
ojo_sigo

A denigrating screed on Islam followed by 'Happy Hannukah,' I don't see any bias there, do you?

1 Like Save    
ojo_sigo

The entire history of civilization is violent, picking out Islam/Arabs as being most violent is disingenuous and biased.

4 Likes Save    
katrina_ellen

Thanks sable, unfortunately its just fodder for the left. They have their own version of "truth" and nothing or nobody can persuade them differently.

2 Likes Save    
Rina

Sable, you're right of course. Islamic expansion was accompanied by a great deal of violence. Possibly as violent as the Crusades were. Or the establishment of the Jewish nation in what is today Israel. That is how people behave at their worst. If we were to reject any nation or religion on the basis of their violent past, there wouldn't be a lot of them left to accept.

This E.W. Jackson person is beneath contempt. Hey fella? You're not a Judeo-Christian country. You're a human country. Get used to the idea.

Now wouldn't some constituency somewhere please elect a Sikh? Or a Hassidic Jew? Men in both cases, so the argument shouldn't be confined to the feminine side of the floor.

7 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

Honestly, Katrina, you think my posts are due to a political stance that I share with a mysterious 'them'? Surely this is the most ridiculous thing anyone has ever written on HT.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Rina, well presented perspective. And valuable.

Save    
katrina_ellen

LOL ojo, I'd have to go a heck of a long ways to top whats been posted on HT to win that award.

1 Like Save    
Rina

Thanks, Ziemia.

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

It takes 2 or 3 Moslems (or however few) on the floor of Congress to look like an Islamic Republic?

Guy needs to get out more.

6 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I so agree Rina, and I would add that the Catholic church spent much effort trying to conquer and eliminate the Native population up here. They systematically took their children away, put them in residential schools and abused them trying to get the "native" out of them. This practice ended not long ago.

So if you want to denigrate an entire religion based on their past the Catholic Church has much to be ashamed of.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Certainly the Catholic church was behind the spread of Christianity(Catholic version) in Mexico, Central and South America and it was not done peacefully. Our government allowed Christian missionaries to attempt to destroy the cohesiveness of American natives while our military helped them out. We could use this example of Islamic militance as an example of the problems with religion as a whole when so many people will use it for a club. But there are plenty of perfectly peaceful Christians and Muslims so we will forbear.

5 Likes Save    
jillinnj

These critters should crawl back in their hole.

Hopefully, that won't take long after the worst critter - the moron in the White House - is gone. Won't it be nice to get back to a time where speaking one's bigotry is again frowned upon?

1 Like Save    
sableincal

Must correct a mistake in what I wrote upthread. The monument was of Saddam's hands holding crossed swords (models of swords used in a historically crucial battle in early Islam). The nets of helmets of killed Iranian soldiers were at the bottom of the arms. So that readers don't have to be running to Wikipedia to learn more about this engrossing, fascinating subject :>), here is a link to pictures.

And that's all I have at this late hour. Am off to watch Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, on Amazon Prime. A wonderful series, and the new season has just begun.

1 Like Save    
Jenn Dinosaur-Mom(5)

History, in regards to religions, is complicated and involves a significant amount of violence from all sides. But it’s a lot to get into here, so I’ll let those who are interested in the subject do their own reading. :)

A handful of Congress members who are Muslim, do not a takeover make.

2 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

I wouldn't say that Saddam Hussien's main driving force was religion, and using this example to illustrate the brutality of Islam is daft.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

The Catholic Church is actively protecting pedophiles (of children under their care). And has given "raises" to some (elevated). That is horrific. Several members of Congress are Catholic. More are Catholic than Muslim.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

It is the Supreme Court that is mostly Catholic, 2/3 rds. The rest are Jewish. No protestants or agnostics. No Muslims.

Save    
cyn427(zone 7, Northern VA)

Gorsuch is Episcopalian.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Stone 5 Reasons to Go for Venetian Terrazzo
This classic Italian flooring is becoming popular again. We look at what makes it so great
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: When Do Your Holiday Decorations Go Up?
Is it ever too soon to start spreading the holiday cheer?
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Once a Rebel Capitol, Now a Storied Home
Painstaking work turns an 1809 building with many past lives into a homey, inviting residence for a Louisiana couple
Full Story