SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Instant Pot Question

bob_cville
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've seen postings here several times about an "Instant Pot". A neighbor just got one at Thanksgiving as a Christmas present. She brought it over to our house over the weekend to ask for help in figuring out how to use it. In the recipe book that comes with the device there is one recipe that starts with a whole chicken so we decided to try that as a first try since she had also bought a packaged whole chicken.

She brought all of the called-for ingredients over last night, and we started reading the recipe instructions which started with: prepare marinade and place cut-up chicken pieces in the marinade in the fridge for 2 to 4 hours. D'oh. I looked up a different recipe online that didn't require lengthy marinading and set to work dismembering the raw chicken. (My first time, and likely my last.)

Then following the recipe (more or less), I used the "saute" setting to brown the chicken, and then added the other ingredients, and set it to pressure cook for 7 minutes. And then started making some side dishes.

When the pot beeped indicating it was done, I released the pressure (slightly scary), and then opened the pot and took the chicken pieces out, and further cooked and thickened the sauce with the lid off on the saute setting as the recipe suggested.

Verdict: an absolute failure and an embarrassment. While the sauce was quite tasty the chicken itself was so tough that it was nearly inedible.

The outcome was so disappointing that my neighbor decided then and there that she didn't want to make room in her tiny kitchen for the new device, and she re-gifted the Instant Pot to us. Yay?

My best guess is that perhaps I took too long browning the chicken, and then perhaps I didn't release the pressure and open the pot the instant it beeped. So the chicken was likely dramatically overcooked which made it tough and rubbery. So while it is impressive that the device can greatly overcook chicken in under 10 minutes, whereas similarly overcooking chicken in an oven would take hours and hours and hours, I don't think that is really a great selling point.

Anyone have any tips or pointers or suggestions or T&T recipes?

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!