What happens if nightmare is not over

Izzy Mn

A opinion article from the New York times.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly on the Russian investigation. It may not be over.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/02/opinion/trump-mueller-russia-investigation.html

SaveComment83Like
Comments (83)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiomom

While I agree with most of the article, the midterms showed me that the majority do not support this presidency. Dems are winning/won in formerly red territory, and those actions speak loud and clear that "we the people" do not approve of the man sitting in the chair in our house. This has given me great hope for the future of our country.

We will survive this moment in time in our history, gawd knows we have survived fire and fury in the past.

Our country will heal and we will be fine

5 Likes Save    
GOD

What is Foxnews is part of Putin's Russia?

Save    
redsox_gw

"we the people" do not approve of the man sitting in the chair in our
house. This has given me great hope for the future of our country.

Certainly, we all know people personally who voted for Trump and are regretful if not mortified (I'm sure some are mortified). Don't expect rw forum members to admit it on here...the internet is not indicative of the majority of people and their true feelings. None of the posters on here are going to admit the atrocity of their vote, nor will they be honest about their true feelings about trump.

3 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

But the thing that’s in the back of our minds is that the majority of Americans did not vote for him, yet he won. I have hope for the future as well. But we still have to get through this nightmare presidency.

2 Likes Save    
Eliana

redsox, I do know people who voted for tRump and now deeply regret it. Some of those negative feelings have also extended to republicans in general, especially the elected officials in the House and Senate, who seem unable or unwilling to admit that electing tRump and continuing to support him was/is a huge mistake, and very bad for our country.

As far as the resident tRumpers here, I don't believe most, or even some of them secretly regret their support of him. Their continued over the top hero worship shows much evidence that the admiration for autocrats no matter how defective they are, is in their DNA.

2 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

But the thing that’s in the back of our minds is that the majority of Americans did not vote for him, yet he won

The majority of those Americans who voted did not vote for Trump, not the majority of Americans.

How do people not get how our electoral college system works?

5 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

socks:

"But the thing that’s in the back of our minds is that the majority of Americans did not vote for him, yet he won."

Becca Reese:

The majority of those Americans who voted did not vote for Trump, not the majority of Americans. How do people not get how our electoral college system works?

If they do not understand now, particularly after Trump's win and Hilary's loss, I don't think it's ever going to happen.

The false narrative just keeps being repeated.

Schoolhouse rock could and should be remade for adults.

8 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

I don't think the "hero" worship can hold a candle to the emotional meltdowns and demonizing seen on HT on a daily basis. Fueled in no small part by hysterical articles like this opinion piece.

Leftists have a horrible track record for predictions, if that gives the haters any solace. Trump won't win. If he does, the stock market will crash-"Armageddon" as Pelosi put it. Global recession with no end in sight. Nuclear weapons will fly, and so much more.

So, this too will most likely not come to fruition, based on past failures to comport expectations with reality.

7 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

We constantly hear how Trumps poll numbers are under 50%. Do you realize congress has an approval rating of 14%? Trump is a rock star in government.

8 Likes Save    
redsox_gw

Becca, many, many intellectuals have left the republican party over trump. Too many to list but including brilliant journalists and other politicians. What you call demonizing we call intelligence.

6 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

What nightmare?

Trump is doing great, despite the tremendous stress non patriots with agendas attempt to put on him every day.

Life is good.

6 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

Trump's policies towards Russia seem hostile to me, troop movements, Ukraine etc, so I find it hard to reconcile this with the popular view of Trump and Putin.

Save    
Stan Areted

I find most often those that exhibit absolutely no hesitation of broadcasting predictions are not basing their predictions on anything other than their own wishful thinking. If they are right, they gloat at their intellect and political acumen; if they're wrong, it's no big deal.

What a self serving setup!

7 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

From the link - a decent summary:

A crime had been committed by Russia and Trump cheered the crime and used the loot thereof to advance his candidacy. That is clear.

4 Likes Save    
redsox_gw

As far as the resident tRumpers here, I don't believe most, or even some
of them secretly regret their support of him. Their continued over the
top hero worship shows much evidence that the admiration for autocrats
no matter how defective they are, is in their DNA.

Nah some of them are smarter than that...they would never admit it on here. Many of them just like to argue and "be right" but know he is a complete loser.

4 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

We constantly hear how Trumps poll numbers are under 50%. Do you realize congress has an approval rating of 14%? Trump is a rock star in government.

Is that different from any other prez vs congress? Maybe when nixon was around 25% just before he resigned.

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

"I find most often those that exhibit absolutely no hesitation of broadcasting predictions are not basing their predictions on anything other than their own wishful thinking. "

A characteristic that isn't reserved only for the left.

3 Likes Save    
GOD

The real comparison would be voter's approval rating of their own congressman.

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

I expect Trump to admit nothing, even if faced with proof positive of his own misconduct. There is nothing in the record to convince me otherwise. He will call the truth a lie and vice versa.

This is why it may get worse and not better. Trump will not leave willingly, unless he is faced with total embarrassment. Somehow Mueller will have to give him a semi-graceful out.

I have noticed Trump seems to be in a somewhat more patriotic phase since Cohen’s plea deal. He even praised Merkel and Bush. He is acting slightly less confrontational. Something has tamed him to the point he might be listening to someone advising him. It is obvious he is fearful.

4 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

Too many to list but including brilliant journalists and other politicians. What you call demonizing we call intelligence.

Well, different parts of speech so I'm not sure how that works.

1 Like Save    
bob_cville

Putting people down for not understanding the "electoral system" by demonstrating that you apparently don't understand basic logic.

If this is true:

The majority of those Americans who voted did not vote for Trump, yet he won.

Then this is guaranteed to be true:

The majority of Americans did not vote for him, yet he won.

I could post a formal proof, but I don't think someone who seemingly doesn't understand the basic precepts of logic, would be likely to know the standard symbology of logic.

10 Likes Save    
ohiomom

I find most often those that exhibit absolutely no hesitation of broadcasting predictions are not basing their predictions on anything other than their own wishful thinking. If they are right, they gloat at their intellect and political acumen; if they're wrong, it's no big deal.

What a self serving setup!

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5505712/the-kavanaugh-effect#n=44

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

The answer is - out number them at the polls. Drown them out.

There are more of us than there are of them.

6 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

As far as the electoral system goes, my gripe is that it serves no purpose other than guaranteeing that the votes from small population states will weigh more than the votes of the rest of America residing in large population states.

It is the opposite of "one man, one vote" or "the democratic majority" because it was set up to appease the anti-democratic antebellum slave states, the snake in the American political garden of Eden.

And still we perpetuate it.

I can think of no reason in a constitutional democracy why the minority vote should prevail over the majority. The modern rational sometimes given is that the electoral college ensures that a con man or grifter or otherwise clearly unqualified person will not get elected as our nation's leader, but the election of Trump clearly reveals the fallacy of that kind of thinking.

Basically, the electoral college is lop-sided in favor of the minority population in rural states--that very group that so fervently supports Trump as president even though that group forms the minority of the voters in America.

The weakness in the system has to do with how the states determine electoral representation and "winner take all" philosophy. Result: The Electoral system does not reflect or protect the majority of the voters. If "winner take all" was banned at the state level, we would have a much more democratic system.

Actually, if we are not protecting slave states or low-population rural states from the will of the majority, there is no particular reason for having an electoral system at all.

The only other reason for it was pragmatic: in the 18th century, travel was slow and difficult. Having the limited number of electors travel to D.C. to vote on who the president would be reduced the problem of 18th century travel. But we no longer face that problem, as you may have noticed.

Kate

13 Likes Save    
judeNY_gw

And that's precisely what we experience on this forum. There is no point in attempting debate. They are irrational and committed to willful ignorance.

8 Likes Save    
GOD

I can think of no reason in a constitutional democracy why the minority vote should prevail over the majority.

We're actually a federation of states and not a direct democracy.

Save    
sheesh(5b)

What scares me more than anything is that the president now has control of the courts. That is truly terrifying. If a 5-4 decision says a president cannot be indicted, he can't be. If a 5-4 decision says the president can suspend the elections to save the country, the elections will be suspended. That is all it takes for us to lose this democracy.

4 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

And the electoral college didn't even do what it was set up to do - to ensure that a competent and qualified person would take the presidency, not one who manipulated the people's emotions.

"The first reason that the founders created the Electoral College is hard to understand today. The founding fathers were afraid of direct election to the Presidency. They feared a tyrant could manipulate public opinion and come to power. Hamilton wrote in the Federalist Papers:

It was equally desirable, that the immediate election should be made by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice. A small number of persons, selected by their fellow-citizens from the general mass, will be most likely to possess the information and discernment requisite to such complicated investigations. It was also peculiarly desirable to afford as little opportunity as possible to tumult and disorder. This evil was not least to be dreaded in the election of a magistrate, who was to have so important an agency in the administration of the government as the President of the United States. But the precautions which have been so happily concerted in the system under consideration, promise an effectual security against this mischief."

https://www.historycentral.com/elections/Electoralcollgewhy.html

1 Like Save    
writersblock(9b/10a)

The only other reason for it was pragmatic: in the 18th century, travel was slow and difficult. Having the limited number of electors travel to D.C. to vote on who the president would be reduced the problem of 18th century travel.

Yes, I believe there was one noted incident where the delegation from some state couldn't get to the electoral convention because of weather, and they just went out looking in taverns and hauled in the first person they found from wherever it was (Tennessee, I think) and had him vote for the entire delegation.

Hardly the kind of problem we'd have today.

4 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Voted out, I think Trump would eventually leave after blaming everything and everyone except himself for his loss.

If hesitant, since DJT is a transactional kind of guy, I'm sure that the GOP can make a deal with him.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"Leftists have a horrible track record for predictions, if that gives the haters any solace. Trump won't win. If he does, the stock market will crash-"Armageddon" as Pelosi put it. Global recession with no end in sight. Nuclear weapons will fly, and so much more."

Good paragraph that brought a smile seeing all those predictions together like this:)

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Nah some of them are smarter than that...they would never admit it on here. Many of them just like to argue and "be right" but know he is a complete loser."

Hmmm, "complete loser" or highly effective president?

Save    
Ann

I can't read the OP link due to not having a subscription, but I wanted to see what it said.

1 Like Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Ann, right click on the link and choose 'open link in an incognito window'

Save    

Trump as a highly effective president?

Ann, have you not been following Cohen's revelations?

Do you not understand the implications of his admissions?

Trump lied to the US public about his business ties to Russia.

Why did he feel compelled to lie, and once the lie was public, why had he handed Putin the leverage for possible blackmail?

Trump has been discovered in flagrante, and we're supposed to act as if nothing has occurred. Are you pointing to the stock market as a reason to ignore Trump's deception(s)?

8 Likes Save    
chase_gw

The only thing Trump is effective at is convincing his base he is effective.

8 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Adding on to sunflower's helpful directions - on a phone - long (and firm) press the link and you get a similar set of choices.

Save    
Stan Areted

Trump doesn't convince me of a thing.

I believe what I see and what I know.

This country is way better off and I agree with most all of his policies, his decisions, and the results of his actions. Donald Trump is an extremely effective President.

The judgment that we are being "fooled" or manipulated by President Trump (it feels so GOOD to type that) is just stupid and extremely arrogant.

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

" The judgment that ... is just stupid and extremely arrogant "

Which, of course, is an opinion to which you are entitled, just like we have our opinion (note: I think your use of the word 'judgment' should read 'opinion') to the contrary.

Isn't it nice that we can all voice our opinions in America? :)

1 Like Save    
Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

I think Blow's fears are justified. I can easily envision a Trump 2020 victory despite the midterms. The Democrats could still run a dud- I am not convinced the lessons of 2016 were learned by the Dem leadership.

5 Likes Save    
dockside_gw

I am not convinced the lessons of 2016 were learned by the Dem leadership.

The main reason I will not donate a cent to the Democratic party. They have to get their act together before they will see any donation from me. The candidates? That's another matter and where my donations go.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

Who knows? Maybe Pelosi will be the first woman President before this is over.

2 Likes Save    
writersblock(9b/10a)

I don't want to like your post, Rita--it's not a likable situation-- but I agree with you 100%.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

So far, what we've seen from the Dems since the mid-terms is quite an interesting Pelosi adventure. Many minds have changed and, mostly, the Dems seem to feel they have no other option or maybe really do not have any other reasonable option. I'll be interested to see how the presidential candidate nomination process goes and if it's similar.

Save    
Stan Areted

What I want to know is the posture of those Dems that signed up to the no more Pelosi team.

Oh, Nancy will make them pay!

So, Nancy's Swamp is on the horizon, back in business!

Save    

I'm interested in the GOP presidential race for 2020.

As more of the rot at the core of the Trump campaign and administration is revealed, at what point is DJT abandoned by the GOP leadership.

Also interesting, will public revulsion with Trump translate to revulsion with the Republican brand.

3 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Stan

Trump is doing great, despite the tremendous stress non patriots with agendas attempt to put on him every day.

Life is good.

------------------------------------

Non patriots like the veterans that are being evicted because they did not receive their checks because the VA is using the excuse that the computers are old? Is life good for them. It is easy to say patriot than to be one that has risked their life for us.

Unlike one that has not served our country or any of his sons. Heck he has not gone to the front line to thank our brave men. What President have we had not got on Air Force one and went and thanked our troops on the battle field.

But tRump does not miss a golf weekend....

8 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Hey Patriots

Trump screwing taxpayers

CindyMac2 days ago

Trump’s total golf expenses—including the cost of his Secret Service detail—currently stand at an estimated $77 million.

"The Secret Service has allocated more than $90,000 for golf cart rentals in South Florida this winter, ostensibly to protect president Donald Trump while he hits the links.

According to federal spending data, the agency is set to pay a Delray Beach company as much as $92,740 between now and June for an unspecified number of “golf cars.” The firm supplying the carts, Maddox Joines Inc., does business as “Sunshine Golf Car” and is a straight 24-mile shot down the turnpike from Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach.

So far, the company has received $32,225 of the potential total. How many other, similar contracts have been issued to rent golf carts for the Secret Service at other Trump properties is unknown. In September, TMZ reported that golf cart rentals at Trump’s U.S. clubs have so far cost taxpayers $300,675. When and if the latest contract is fully paid out, it will bring Trump’s golf cart rental expenses up to nearly $400,000 since he took office—an apparent modern record in such a short period of time, based on past presidential expenditures.

The Secret Service has allocated more than $90,000 for golf cart rentals in South Florida this winter, ostensibly to protect president Donald Trump while he hits the links.

According to federal spending data, the agency is set to pay a Delray Beach company as much as $92,740 between now and June for an unspecified number of “golf cars.” The firm supplying the carts, Maddox Joines Inc., does business as “Sunshine Golf Car” and is a straight 24-mile shot down the turnpike from Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach.

So far, the company has received $32,225 of the potential total. How many other, similar contracts have been issued to rent golf carts for the Secret Service at other Trump properties is unknown. In September, TMZ reported that golf cart rentals at Trump’s U.S. clubs have so far cost taxpayers $300,675. When and if the latest contract is fully paid out, it will bring Trump’s golf cart rental expenses up to nearly $400,000 since he took office—an apparent modern record in such a short period of time, based on past presidential expenditures.

Several Secret Service agents follow Trump in the carts every time he plays golf—which as president he has reportedly done 154 times, or more than 20% of the days since he took office. As Quartz recently noted, all golf carts used by Trump’s security detail must be modified to go at least 19 mph, which is about 5 mph faster than a standard cart.

Trump’s total golf expenses—including the cost of his Secret Service detail—currently stand at an estimated $77 million. Per TrumpGolfCount.com, the president played his most recent round on Sunday, Nov. 25, at Trump International.

The website said Trump spent a little over five hours on the course with Chris Ruddy, the CEO of conservative media outlet Newsmax, and National Security Council chief of staff Fred Fleitz, who co-authored a 2015 paper which suggested revoking the citizenship of American Muslims who followed Islamic law.

The Secret Service has said it cannot comment on ”the means, methods, resources, costs, or numbers we utilize to carry out our protective responsibilities.”

https://www.govexec.com/contracting/2018/11/trumps-secret-service-may-have-just-set-spending-record-presidential-golf-carts/153192/?oref=ge-android-article-share

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Something not right about calling Americans who oppose Trump non patriots. Smacks of authoritarian regimes where one must support the esteemed leader ...or else

11 Likes Save    
GOD

We know the gop is working to re-elect trump. They refused to take any action on Russian tampering.

The GOP is red for a reason

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Pelosi as President might come about if Pence and Trump are both indicted. I consider this highly unlikely as true patriots would not be favorable to such a black mark on America. It would be far better to vote the swamp out of office.

Marquest, you are so right. The Admin won’t pay underpaid GI benefits.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/veterans-affairs-dept-tells-congressional-staffers-it-won-t-repay-n941491

2 Likes Save    
matthias_lang

Pardon the break in the discussion but I have a grammatical note for Becca Reese who posted,

"Too many to list but including brilliant journalists and other politicians. What you call demonizing we call intelligence.

Well, different parts of speech so I'm not sure how that works."

Becca, in this instance, "demonizing" is a gerund, and therefor functions as a noun, making it grammatically equivalent to "intelligence." Is that the concern you were addressing?

7 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Problematic is that the electoral college doesn't even come into play until the electorate has chosen their candidates and somehow the conservative end of them chose Trump as the Republican candidate for president. That should concern thinking people.

Well, the process by which we chose presidents has changed a lot over the years. It has always had some bugs. I have been for doing away with the electoral college for years but using it as a plum to pay off party supporters has entrenched it in the process. Maybe this cycle will give people the push to do something about it.

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn

All this talk about electorial college. I have a question for the more informed. Would doing away with electorial college solve the Gerrymandering problems? Or even partially solve. I admit my nativity about such things.

Sorry for posting a subscription article, I guess I had a "free" one. The incognito does work, it did used it to read it again.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Voting for president is outside of the gerrymandering problem if you eliminate the electoral college because it would come down to one person, one vote for president. Every Democratic vote in California would have the same weight as every Republican vote in Kansas.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Izzy Mn
writersblock(9b/10a)

Izzy, this might help. It's a good unbiased explanation of gerrymandering from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-46062154/gerrymandering-and-voting-elbridge-gerry-gets-the-blame-for-election-fixing

But yeah, patriciae is right. Gerrymandering has its biggest effect at the state level.

ETA Just forcing the electoral college vote to mirror the popular vote instead of "winner take all" would help some, but to what purpose? Better to shed the electoral college entirely.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Izzy Mn
Stan Areted

Izzy--it's electoral. ;)

Save    
redsox_gw

Hmmm, "complete loser" or highly effective president.

So many indictments; so little time.

Matthias, if you are an english teacher/professor, please help us with affect/effect as they continue to perplex.

Save    
chase_gw

"Izzy--it's electoral"

I will never understand why shots like this are necessary. Is the gotcha factor that important?

1 Like Save     Thanked by Izzy Mn
chase_gw

Well stick around............

Save    
Stan Areted

Considering posts I see, that was gentle.

A poster genuinely wanted to know more, and after seeing the word more than once and realizing it wasn't a typo, it is kinder to educate than to let someone continue to make a mistake. I know that if I didn't get something right AND it was obvious it wasn't a typo or syntax mistake, I would want to know.

No lectures, just a correction.

People that consistently throw rocks at others shouldn't accuse others of doing so, especially when it was meant to help.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Pelosi as President might come about if Pence and Trump are both indicted.

Now that would be a Hoot! trumpsters heads would explode.

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

NO they wouldn't.

We'd survive, just like so many of you are surviving, indeed THRIVING under Trump.

If anyone has time to type on a forum like this, they're thriving.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

"If anyone has time to type on a forum like this, they're thriving."

What a superficial, insensitive comment. People of all ages, in all situations are on this forum, including the retired and the disabled

I think someone needs to get a life in the real world....

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Izzy Mn
Ann

"We know the gop is working to re-elect trump. "

Yes, true.

Save    
Ann

"retired"? Why would a retired person find thriving to be a superficial or insensitive description?

1 Like Save    

I cannot believe that the GOP would not have substitute candidates being developed for 2020 given how Mueller's investigation is progressing.

2 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

How is it progressing, nancy? What do you know that the rest of us don't? From where I'm sitting, after almost 2 years, Mueller has not found Russian-Trump collusion. Further, Mueller has said Trump indictments are not going to be forthcoming.

It goes without saying that in either party, at any point in time, there are contenders waiting to get their chance at the Presidency.

Save    
Jenn Dinosaur-Mom(5)

If someone needs a real life then we all pretty much need a real life - if just being here to comment is a sign that a person is lacking in a real life, that is.

...Just sayin'...

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

"Mueller has not found Russian-Trump collusion. Further, Mueller has said Trump indictments are not going to be forthcoming."

You have no idea what Mueller has found.

You also need to support your claim that Mueller has said Trump indictments are not forthcoming. Mueller has said NADA

Save    
Ann

Nancy, you're certainly welcome to keep hanging on tight to that Mueller hope:)

Save    
Ann

Overlapped, we have another person who might also be hanging on tight.

Save    

If Mueller had nada, why is Trump acting so guilty.

Why is Trump floating the idea of pardons for Manafort and Jr?

Recently Mueller's work seems to be increased each time Trump tweets. That's one way to delay the final report.

Save    
Kathy

Russian news is now reporting negatively on Trump. We know that comes straight from Putin. Where they used to flatter they now insult.

Save    
Becca Reese

chase, the support for my claims goes to the limitation of power relating to Mueller's office.

Save    
chase_gw

As you have been told they are.....

Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

chase_gw

Something not right about calling Americans who oppose Trump non patriots. Smacks of authoritarian regimes where one must support the esteemed leader ...or else

--------------------

I think the Patriot thing is just habit from yrs of what Repubs stood by. Before tRump it was the Repubs' song...Military honorable, Debt was bad, Free Trade all the things that the present clown is not. The honor Military was because far back the majority past Presidents had military backgrounds. Even the rich ones did not claim bone spurs to get out of serving their country.

A Non Patriot.......

- Deficits are fine,

- Military who cares if they get needed payments to survive when they return home,

-tRump goes golfing and entertain his rich friends at the country club instead of getting on the plane and heading to where the soldiers are in danger.

-Free trade nope play with tariffs and threaten corporations.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Trump is seasoning his own goose as it cooks ...

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Mueller is noting Tump’s tweets we can be sure of that. Why do his lwyers even allow him to tweet? Not that he listens to advice, after all his brain is so intelligent.

1 Like Save    
Becca Reese

Ann

Nancy, you're certainly welcome to keep hanging on tight to that Mueller hope:)

Better they hang onto that instead of what Horowitz and Huber are doing. Not to mention Trump declassifying information, not to mention FISA abuse and attempts to infiltrate Trump's campaign from March-October 2016.

What if their nightmare isn't over, indeed ;-)

Save    
Izzy Mn

21 hours ago

Izzy--it's electoral. ;)

I stand corrected. Speling has always not been my best quality. And the spell check on my phone saves my mis-spelling to be used again. I very often check spelling, but quite a few slip by me at times. I really need to-too-two update my spell check.

Save    
Rina

So glad the error in logic (the majority of Americans ... etc) and the inability to understand what a gerund is have been corrected. They caused an itch in my brain until I saw that -- mainly because they appeared in what purported to be corrections of someone else's understanding and language skills. That often happens. Beware of being a smarty pants -- f'rinstance, I'm pretty good at English, especially spelling. Part of my job. But my fingers aren't. So I assume others have the same kind of frailties.

What I really want to comment on, though, not for the first time, is the idiocy of calling compatriots who oppose your politics "non patriots". What rubbish. If you believe your country is slipping into a sewer of greed, stupidity and self-interest and you want to stop that happening -- that is patriotism, not the reverse. And if you think your country is riding a wave of tremendous wonderfulness and want it to continue, then that would also be patriotism, much as I might shake my head in disbelief. It really is schoolyard name-calling and it should stop.

Ann: Why would a retired person find thriving to be a superficial or insensitive description?

Superficial because it would be a false, generalised description based on some pie-in-the-sky vision of everyone enjoying well-heeled retirement. Insensitive because, if one is a retired person who is struggling to survive, it sets the difficulties of your life aside as though they didn't exist. And yes, a retired person who is struggling to survive will likely still, in these times, be able to spend time on a computer or app to participate in discussions. As might someone who has lost their job. Stan's statement, "If anyone has time to type on a forum like this, they're thriving", is superficial, insensitive, and obviously false.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Izzy Mn
woodnymph2_gw

Rina, thank you!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides See What Happens When 1 House Takes On 8 Wallpapers
A designer dives into unfamiliar territory for a color- and pattern-loving Chicago homeowner
Full Story
Backyard Ideas She Built a Chicken Coop and Was Surprised by What Happened Next
A Southern California homeowner and animal lover shares her building tips and advice on raising happy backyard hens
Full Story
Winter Gardening Got Frost-Damaged Plants? How It Happens, and When and How to Prune
Brown, crispy leaves are a sure sign that Jack Frost has been to your neighborhood
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
King Construction Company, LLC has been custom building all types of agricultural and accessory buildings for... Read More