SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_meeks

I'm drawn to a smaller house

Jeff Meeks
5 years ago

I'm British, but have lived in the US for many years and have quite a large home in the North East. As I think about my retirement I'm increasingly drawn to small simple homes where the upkeep would be easy. I also like the idea of living fairly remotely and so these homes in Scotland caught my eye. So what do you guys think of simpler, smaller homes....but I don't need to go as far as a tiny-home on a trailer.

https://www.ruralhouse.co.uk/

Comments (90)

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Anglo, have you considered having chair lifts installed on the stair way. Really makes a huge difference.

• LynneO
    5 years ago
    Tangerinedoor, you must live in my neck of the woods. The Vermod plant is just up the road from me.
  • Related Discussions

Where to start? I'm just stuck since I want smaller

Q

Comments (6)
    I would start with some practical questions, which can be useful with the short-term plans, and can help you set the 'bones' for your longer-term plans. And can help you keep things simple. Might help with the 'stuck' thing. Where on that porch do you want shade, either from shrubs/small trees or trellises with climbers? Sun in the morning and shade in the evening? And do you want a blocking of vision from the road to feel that the porch is more private? Or would you rather have that view more open? Which way does the prevailing wind come from? Depending on where you are, you may want to leave that breeze corridor open, or you may want some buffering. If I had that porch, I would want to just plain live on it [jealous grins]. But is there another area to the back or side of the house where you might want other outdoor-living spaces.... Barbecue/picnic areas, play areas, a patio, whatever? Or is that front porch likely to be the focus of your outdoor-time? Once you've thought about all this stuff, you will have an idea about where to place some of the 'bones'. Shrubs, small trees, trellises, any walls, fences, whatever. Then, *around* those bones, you can keep developing plans for later, and can plant the things you want. And there is no reason that you can't just pick a garden spot or three for some of the sun plants you want to try, preferably in close view from your chair on the porch. But you can keep the plants, and the labor and maintenance, very small. Forget worrying about foundation plantings around the house. Concentrate on the areas that will affect your enjoyment of the property in the way *you* want to enjoy it. [What do *you* want to see when you walk out on the porch with coffee in the morning?] And with the setting of your house in its landscape, you would do better with more irregular planting areas where they work well and for you, rather than nice, neat standard all-around-the-house-suburban foundation beds. Plant where and what you want, and you can add more irregular space to the bed, and more plants, later. Use a weed-whacker along the rest of the foundation....
    ...See More

Need Home A/C repair, but I'm perplexed after 2 contractor visits

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for the follow ups, really good information. I'll try to address each comment and ask some more questions. fluffybunnysui: The 1st contractor called me last night to ask about what I was thinking about doing to fix it. I told them I had a 2nd contractor come out and test it and told me the expansion valve. 1st contractor said that they determined it WAS NOT the expansion valve because they blocked off one side of the flow at/on the compressor, and the bypass valves opened and it couldn't suck the pressure all the way down.(I don't really understand how it works, I have replaced Automobile A/C but just followed basic instructions.) 2nd part: Both contractors said that they *think* the evap coil is icing up. Because we could turn the unit off for hours, let it melt, and then it would blow really cold again for a short time. Unfortunely for me, I had to leave the house today and go to work in a different city for the week. I can't spray the unit off, and my wife doesn't feel confident doing it, but the 1st contractor is due out to the house later today. thanks. Jack Mason: thanks, the 2nd contractor did show me their pricing on new units. Said $2,899 for a new evap coil and all related work. $4,600 for a 12 SEER outside unit. (my system is a 14 SEER I believe). Reading the link you provided now. thanks. Heatseeker: I don't know what refrigerant is used in my system. A quick web search points to R-410A. The unit is a Carrier unit, Model: 24ABA430A300 Serial # 4506E08945
    ...See More

Suddenly I'm Into/ Drawn To/ Like________

Q

Comments (39)
    I think it's interesting how our tastes/wants change. Years ago, I used to have a lot of red in my kitchen, got tires of it, and went all pastel. Then I really had an interest in the retro/vintage dinnerware and textiles, so I was back to primary colors. But I do love Jadeite and LuRay and all of that...I think a pale jade green mixed with bright red looks very cool. I've ended up with a lot of green in my house, and I never really meant to.
    ...See More

Just got home inspection...I'm overwhelmed

Q

Comments (34)
    WOW... active seismic zone, and there's FRAMING/strapping issues, in what I assume is a FRAMEd house? Surely, by now, someone has coined a catchy acronym to describe the now-proverbial "So-Cal-nightmare-hacked-together-during-boom-by-illegal-labor-with-no-meaningful-inspections-by-AHJ..." ;') In most states the current owner would have legal recourse against the builder for 10 YEARS, but it's 40:1 odds this shoddy builder has folded shop and vamoosed, circa 2005-07. It's not hard to imagine the FOUNDATION/soil preparation was done with similar "quality". If this dubious house is really a contender, it would be cheap insurance to hire a licensed Geotechnical Engineer, who specializes in foundations, to do "the kitchen sink" inspection, including drilling core samples, peeky-peek with a borescope, etc. Oh yeah. Knowledge is power, not to mention further negotiating leverage, buyer's market and all. At the very least, determine other homes in the 'hood built by the same hosers, and talk to the owners, especially original owners. OTOH, I do envy the apparently significant legal liability HIs work under in high-tax CA. Here in corrupt ol' low-tax FL, the HIs are on the hook ONLY for the price of the inspection--at most--I kid you not!
    ...See More
  • Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

tangerinedoor, the plan is just an example of the "ruralhomes" website. If I was to do this I'd want a 2 bedroom and there would be a lot of other customization.

• User
    5 years ago

We downsized a few yrs ago n I think I missed our big house for about - 5 minutes.

lol. Good luck. :).

• opaone
    5 years ago

I think your plan quite good. Then again, I'm a Scot. You're young enough that being close to stuff isn't that important to you and you realize that later in life you may need to move somewhere closer (though perhaps not if you remain active & healthy).

For my wife and I, living where we can walk or bicycle to a grocery, pharmacy and a few places to eat was a key priority so personally I'd not want to live in a very remote place.

In studying people around the world who are the healthiest, happiest and live the longest one key bit is routine (daily/weekly) interaction with others. Many and perhaps most live in quite small houses like this and some live somewhat remote but make it a point to get together with friends or family frequently.

• jmm1837
    5 years ago

Our house, built three years ago, is 2000 sq ft (no basement, no second story) which I guess is big by some standards, but seems just right for us. A comfy but not huge master, two spare bedrooms, one for guests the other an exercise/music room, along with a TV room and an open space living/dining/kitchen area. We seem to use every room every day, so I'd probably not want to go much smaller myself (also, it must be said, I have a lot of stuff!)

The layout and orientation aren't ideal (I'm sure Virgil or Mark would cringe if I posted the floor plan) but the location is terrific - in a bustling seaside town of 20,000 about an hour from a city of 4.5 million, within walking distance to supermarkets, shops, restaurants, bars and a stack of medical facilities, not to mention the beach. Those were all very important factors for us, and for that we were prepared to pay big bucks to be crammed into a tiny lot (we do have a nice deck though!)

The house wasn't specifically designed to be ADA compliant, but it has wide halls, big doorways, and very low threshold showers, so very easy to get around in. When we moved in, three years ago, I had a few niggling neuroskeletal issues but was pretty active; unfortunately, my osteoarthritis has caused some considerable problems in the last year or so, and the easy access to physiotherapists, hydrotherapy, and, most recently, radiology centers and orthopedic surgeons here has been one of the best things about our move to this town and this house. Our previous home, in an idyllic but tiny coastal village, had none of these things - if I wanted physio I'd have had to drive 60 km and if I needed surgery, I'd have had to consult with a surgeon and go to a hospital in one of the cities 250 km or 400 km away. So, while we didn't get everything right (should have had grab bars installed in the bathrooms), we did pretty well. Remote area living is fine if you're in your fifties and sixties, which is why we loved our previous home, but not so good when you hit the seventies and need more support.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Kathi, I may put them in at some point, but as long as I can do stairs, I do them. Stairs are VERY good for us! When my husband was coming home from 3 weeks in the hospital, I had my SIL and a friend move our queen size bed down to the guest room and move the twins upstairs. It was a VERY tight fit for the queen size bed! The physical therapist came the day after he got home, and the first thing he said was to move that bed back upstairs - important that my husband make at least one trip up and down each day.

When old people stop doing stairs, the discover VERY quickly that they no longer CAN do a flight of stairs. And that is very limiting in so many ways.

• partim
    5 years ago

Anglophilia I agree with your comments. And I feel the same way about those lifting chairs. It's a bit of a challenge for my 91 year old father to get out of his chair. Sometimes he needs to take a few tries, and sometimes we need to remind him to lean forward ("Nose over toes" as his physiotherapist says.) But even though he had a stroke a year ago, he can still do it and it's good exercise for him to do it. I'm sure if we'd bought a lifting chair, he would no longer be able to get up by himself.

• jmm1837
    5 years ago

Anglo - I think we're going to have to disagree on this one. Stairs aren't for everyone. My father had two hip replacements, and in his later years, couldn't manage stairs at all. He still could use his walker to get around the village where he lived. Same for my mother, who had a knee issue and balance problems later on in life. A fall down a stair could have been fatal for either of them, but as it is, their one-level apartment provided them with a comfortable, safe home until Dad passed away and Mom moved into a retirement facility. In my case, having just been through a hip replacement, I'm grateful I have no stairs to negotiate in our house, and as for exercise, I'm already walking up gentle hills outdoors, which beats climbing stairs every day of the week in my book :)

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

partim, I meant a stair lift that you sit in and it glides you up to the top or bottom of the stairs.

Also, a chair lift may help people when they truly cannot get up. It does not do something for someone that has the ability, it aids them when they lose the ability.

As an aside, if your father has to have a few tries to get up out of a chair, his body is telling him he no longer has the musculature to do that activity. Encouraging him to do something that he is losing the ability to do leads to accidents, falls, etc. Also, many people hold their breath when doing a difficult activity which leads to cardiac issues and fainting issues. Just think of it as a child. The elderly are regressing instead of progressing and we need to recognize when they should not be doing an activity because the act of doing it can lead to more harm.

As a nurse, I see many families encouraging people beyond their abilities because it is very difficult to think of people getting old.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

I had a small cabin in the pines for several years. It was 16x24 with a tiny bath addition of about 6x6. It was my favorite place on earth. A soft carpet of pine needles everywhere, the smell of pine in the air, a tiny lake. The pine trees were so large you couldn't reach your arms around them. A pine needle covered path to the lake.

A little woodstove, a small kitchen, a tiny bedroom. So quiet. So peaceful. The most relaxing place I have ever been. When I was there I felt I could breathe.

• Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

opaone, I think you know where I'm coming from. I'm still fit enough to ride my bike 100 miles in a day and do my grocery shopping on a bike. The supermarket is just a couple of miles across town, but it sometimes feels harder than doing 100 miles if the traffic is heavy. I saw a TV program where one of these prefab houses was built on the Assynt peninsular and that sort of country appeals to me, but maybe a bit closer to a small town than that.

• tangerinedoor
    5 years ago

Loh2001...I guess you’re my neighbor or might be soon!

• tangerinedoor
    5 years ago

Per fire codes, a stairway lift requires a certain width of staircase, Also, it won’t prevent you from losing balance or falling down the stairs. If you have any cognitive issues, e.g. from a stroke, a stairlift is a non-starter.

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

Great idea. I completely agree! Much more manageable.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You should go for it if a tiny house makes you really happy. But since you are asking people's opinions here, that means you aren't sure...... then the answer is no in your heart.....

I say bigger is better. Tiny houses don't have enough room for anything. It lack of storage. It might work well for a priest, a monk, a few sets of clothes and a few pairs of shoes.....

• bluesanne
    5 years ago

A small, well-planned house is my ideal. Since I was a child, I have wanted a little house on a big property. After owning small 1920s bungalows in Portland, OR, the first on a standard city lot and the second on a 1/2 acre, we purchased four acres on a wooded hill at the edge of the coast range and built our Craftsman-esque cabin/cottage, aka The Cabbage.

"We" are my husband and me, with no kids other than our two dogs, four miniature horses, and a varying number of chickens.

Our house is just under 800 square feet, and it has plenty of room for us. Whereas many small houses comprise a warren of small rooms, we have good-sized rooms, just fewer of them. Living, dining, and kitchen are open to one another, and instead of wasting space with a hallway, a vestibule at the center of the house leads to the other rooms. (Too often, small houses waste space on dark inner hallways or have bedrooms leading off of the living areas.) Nine foot ceilings, numerous large windows, and a large front porch serving as a three season room mean that The Cabbage feels much larger than its square footage would suggest.

If we (or any future someone) wanted to add on, we chose a floorplan that lends itself to creating a dogleg addition, but we built for ourselves. Our septic system is sized for a three bedroom house.

We're at the edge of the outback and face away from our one visible neighbor and toward the deep woods. Despite all of this, we are 20 minutes from downtown Portland, so we have the best of both worlds.

• Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think a small but modern house with an open plan living area can feel large. I'm single with no pets so a couple of small bedrooms (one to double as an office and guest room), a bathroom, storage and utility room and a single large room zoned as a kitchen dining and living area would be great. I'd keep it under 1000 sqft. I'd want a nice deck and a shed for bikes and tools...job done

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

You might want to think a little bigger. You are single now, that does not mean you’d be single forever. Just a whisper, there are a lot of single moms in the countryside, and they’d hunt you down without mercy. Lol I am not joking. If you got captured by them, your 2 bedrooms won’t be big enough for your future instant family.....you‘d need 2-3 car garages for kids toys, bikes, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes.......something to think about it when you work on your house plan......

• Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HaHa summersrhythm, your scenario sounds like a Hallmark movie plot. I'm ok with a relationship, but not so much the kids. I have nieces and nephews who I enjoy, but I don't have to deal with them on a daily basis. My ideal small home also involves a lot of quiet and, right now, solitude so no rug-rats or teenagers. I don't mind really sharing with someone, but if they had kids they'd have to stay in a hotel when they visit.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

I am guessing now you can’t waiting for Country living! :-) Country living can be tough, unlike the love story movies. In the beautiful quiet woods around you there are mama tigers waiting for you. One of the tentants at our country property just had rough experience with 2 single moms, the 2nd one injured him........he moved in just over 2 months ago.. Now I can’t wait to find out when the 3rd one is coming to get him......like watching a movie.

Good luck with your house plan. If you add on more room to have more closets and a big kitchen with an island that would look really lovely......

• Sarah
    5 years ago
    Husband and I love homes between 900-1500sq ft! A well designed layout for a small home is far more environmentally friendly in terms of materials / foot print and energy consumption. I certainly hope generation Z are more consumption conscientious.

Frankly, even if we were handed a free big house we wouldn't want it.
  • Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Summersrhythm, along with kids I also try to avoid kitchen islands. Living on one would be ok but I don't like them in the kitchen; I prefer a table that can be moved around if necessary. I'll add some demographic research to my house hunting and make sure to minimize the number of dangerous single mums.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

I would lose my mind by myself in the "wilderness". I would definitely need pets to keep me company. Even so they would eventually find me with my face eaten off after chocking to death on my own alcoholic vomit.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Now I think your country fever temp might dropped a little. Lol I think Opaone could help you with that, he is a researcher on populations, might have some inside info. :-)

suzy, country living is beautiful, breathtaking. You just need to stop drinking and smell the coffee, flesh your mind with clean country air.

you won’t need pets, coyotes would keep you company, they rarely eat people, they just watch you from distance. :-)

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

lol I have fresh air and coyotes right here in the high density coastal zone. I like visiting the country for like a second, but what do you do there by yourself everyday? At least with an rv or truck and trailer, you could get a change of weather or scenery.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

• einportlandor
    5 years ago

I've downsized twice -- once down to 1500 sq. ft. after divorcing while my kids were still young, and again after the youngest flew the coop. Now I'm retired and living in an 1100 sq. ft. house. I live primarily on the main floor (800 sq. ft.), which includes a large living area, small kitchen/dining room, bedroom and bath. The remaining space is a guest room on the second floor. I enjoy having my kids, relatives and friends stay with me so the second bedroom gets plenty of use. I wish I had a second bathroom but have managed without it ok.

I LOVE living in a small(ish) house -- less maintenance, less cleaning, cozy, affordable. The best thing about my little cottage is that it's in a highly walkable neighborhood with easy access to everything I could possibly need. After years of suburban living, it's a huge bonus.

I've also lived on acreage, miles from town. For me, it was a fantasy that never lived up to my expectations. It required lots of work caring for the property, lots of driving, and social isolation. Some people love the lifestyle, but if you've never lived in a rural area, you might want to try it out before you commit to building. It's not for everyone.

Best of luck!

• Laurie Tillett
    5 years ago
    When we first retired, it was to a 3500 sf 4/3 home with pool, pool house, 3.5+ acres, etc etc. First thing we did was make bedroom 4 into a master walk-in closet. We thought this would be the perfect “final” home with plenty of room for grandkids, etc. Bit, grandkids have their own lives and activities...which is how it should be...so this property fast became too much work to keep up...especially the grounds. We ended up selling and moving (to a different city/state) to a 1365 sf condo .... 3/2, ground floor, 2 blocks to center of town with shops, restaurants, entertainment etc. We can walk to everything except the grocery store (which is bad in that its too tempting to eat out too often..lol). One spare room is mine for office, crafts, whatever, and the other is for my husband’s stuff. Both rooms have Murphy beds for company, and those rooms + the second bath can be shut off with a pocket door...like having a “guest wing”. Being on the ground floor makes it easy to access the pool and we have a mini butterfly garden planted outside the lanai. We don’t buy “stuff” for the house anymore...it’s comfortable just as is. I didn’t think I would like being in a 55+ community, but our complex is small (48 units) and with all the activities downtown and elsewhere in town, there are plenty of all ages for stimulation. Love love love it....especially the fact there is zero maintenance and when we leave, we just lock the front door and drive away.
  • apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Following.

• Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My idea of a camping trip involves a bicycle and a tent.....I like small houses and minimalist travel. Here is my bike and all my camping and living gear on a cross country ride I did a few years ago. If I had a small two bedroom house in Scotland I'd be off riding a lot during the summer.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

All your camping and living gear?! Is there a bag behind the sign? :) Btw, have you seen Downsize magazine? It's published by Fine Homebuilding. Saw it on the newsstand yesterday and thought of this thread.

Suzyq53, you might be interested in Tin Can Homestead by Nathasha Lawyer and Brett Bashaw. It's their journey to renovate a 1971 Airstream trailer. The Jan 2019 issue of House & Home included the book in their Home Library Must Reads feature, a few pages past their Style Files with a page on Cabin Fever.

• PRO
    Hart's Design
    5 years ago

Small home designs

Just to share my experience as a designer, I have seen a large increase for small home designs ranging from 600 - 1200 square feet. I have found that all of these customers are preparing a home to be their final home. The homes are quite pretty and fun for living in. One large caution I wish to give you. As your home design gets smaller and smaller, the price of construction per square foot does increase. If it is truly your final home, go for it. If you plan to sell, it's selling price will typically be determined by local prices and square footage. Just know that your return in investment can be painful. They are a blast to design so have fun with it.

• Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

tartanmeup. I've seen those magazines at the supermarket checkout, Dwell etc and flip through them while I wait, but never buy them. There are no other bags behind the sign....if you look closely you'll see that I don't have anywhere to mount them on my bike. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, cooking equipment and clothes are all in the saddlebag.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I've carried purses to work bigger than that. Impressed!

• Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm trying to simplify my life as I find it gives me more time to do the things I enjoy. The approach to bike touring is an expression of that and so would be any small house that I build in a remote location. A small simple house would give me more time to cook and read and ride my bike.

• talaveran
    5 years ago

Here's one to dream about: Bjarke Ingels'

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Jeff, are we married? You sound like my hubs,right down to the bike. Except he wants his small place by the sea in Fife.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

i've enjoyed reading these posts. i guess success at smallness is dependent on what you like to do when at home. if you like to read, a book case and comfy chair easily fits in a small house if your hobby is gardening, small house works. if your hobby is cooking, than a kitchen that takes up much of a small house works. if your passion is sewing, let me say i'd need 2 small houses, of for sewing and one for living in. and another small house across the driveway for my 26 room dollhouse.

nope, small wont work for me in the near future.

• opaone
    5 years ago

Kind of getting off topic, but here's my idea of bicycle camping: http://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/2012/09/12/bikes-on-dikes/. (Post by a friend of mine).

Heading out on bikes with a small bag with a change of clothes or two and staying in B&B's and eating at great little pubs and cafés and bistro's is also a really fun holiday.

• opaone
    5 years ago

Everybody's needs, desires, wants and finances are different. And they can be quite different for the same people at different stages in life.

For our first 5 years of marriage we lived in an 820 sq ft home in a neighborhood of similar homes and narrow streets where kids played in the streets without worry of being run over by a speeding car. We loved that home and neighborhood and still miss it.

Soon after our first child was born we moved in to a larger home of about 1700 sq ft and later finished the basement for another 800. It's worked well for this time of our lives.

Now we're building an 8000 sq ft home (http://bamasotan.us). Neither of us particularly likes big houses and we didn't want this one to be nearly this big. However, my wife comes from a large family so it's not unusual to have 40 people over for dinner (like Christmas eve every year as well as a dozen or so other times each year). We also like for people to be able to stay with us (family & friends from Alabama, Sweden, Scotland, etc.) and we both need home offices (we've been splitting home offices w/ guest quarters which works but isn't ideal) so we effectively have a 7 bedroom home though 2 are offices.

At one point early in the design process our architect said "so what you want is an inn". I'm still trying to figure out how 3 extra bedrooms and a bit more elbow room in the kitchen and family room ended up being 3x our current house. Frequent quote from our architect "It wants to be this!" Translated: Our and the builders revenue model want it to be this.

I think we'd be just as happy going back to our 800 sq ft home though and I'm guessing at some point as we age we'll move in to a much smaller place. A friend just moved from a 3000 sq ft home to a 600 sq ft flat along a bikeway. She can ride her bike to the same village as us with a grocery, pharmacy and a few restaurants. She's been there about 3 years and says that she couldn't be happier.

Though I wouldn't give up my wife or her family or all of our friends that come to stay with us for anything, I'm also a bit envious of Jeff's plans for his small place.

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

Hmmmm .... “stairs are very good for us “ ? perhaps when you’re younger but they weren’t very good for our neighbor who fell backwards down a flight of stairs in their home Six months ago. He died, as did another 60 year old friend of ours who got up in the middle of night in their weekend home, fell down a flight of stairs & died instantly! Brain stem injury.

• Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hollybar...I'm trying to avoid bigamous relationships.

• opaone
    5 years ago

I don't know. Polygamy seems to have worked quite well for Moses, David, Solomon and a long list of others in the Bible ...and a few million since :-)

• Jeff Meeks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

opaone

I like reading, riding bikes and bike touring, gardening, cooking, movies and the theater. If I was in a remote place I'd have to plan trips to see plays, but a good internet connection would help me to see stuff so that's on the check list too. I'd definitely want a shed for bikes and tools, but the house would have 2 bedrooms and be less than 1000sqft. and that would be more than enough space for me. I'd like it on one level and keeping it small makes that easier.

FYI this is my idea of a camping trip.....only one change of clothes required. If I'm going credit card touring and staying in hotels then I just take one 9 Liter capacity small saddle bag.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Opaone, how many stairways are in your house? Does the 8,000 sq ft include garages , finished basement and attic(3rd floor)? I am just wondering. We have a similar size property . That’s a beautiful home indeed.

• bluesanne
    5 years ago

Jeff, with your love of camping, small houses and the outdoors, I'd suggest finding your ideal plot of land and camping on it for a good length of time to discover what it wants to be. Even when you build, if your location is wild enough you can still camp on your land, build a tree house, or just have a secluded area far away from everything civilized. We are building a wooden platform deep in our woods where we can pitch a tent or just set up table and chairs for a woodland cocktail party with the coyotes. (The older ones prefer fine Scotch, while the young ones go off on their own for a kegger.)

Keep an open mind and an full heart when you choose your land, and it will tell you what it wants to be.

• opaone
    5 years ago

@Jeff, you and I sound amazingly similar. I've only done a couple of bicycle trips w/ tents but numerous in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Appalachian trail, and all through the highlands and islands.

For minimal clothing... A couple of friends and I did a last minute BWCA trip some years ago. We'd driven up to Duluth for a day (no bags, no clothes) and then decided to visit a friend who runs an outfitting place in the BWCA and then decided to take a couple of his canoes and stuff for a quick 1 nighter that turned in to 5 nights and 3 very fragrant campers. We had a blast though.

• opaone
    5 years ago

@SummersRythm, the house is on four levels w/ 3 stairs. The fourth level loft/attic was kind of a last minute addition that grew (architects are good at growing sq ft aren't they) from a small area w/ a ships ladder access to a full attic w/ a regular stair. Fortunately the structural engineer and a couple of the framers are old enough to know how attics are put together.

Some photos here that give you an idea of it: http://bamasotan.us/2018/08/roof-plumbing-and-chimneys/

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

A beautiful new build with a lot of charm! What a process!! I love the idea of 4 floors 3 stairs. Ours is plain compare to yours. It was created as a family compound by the previous owner, but it was never used as a family compound......

Yours has a breathtaking view which is very hard to find. Enjoy your lovely new home!! :-)