SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
nelaco

Shower base refinishing

nelaco
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi group, I would like to refinish my shower base. I was thinking tile. What do you all think?
It is in good shape....just ugly. It is 32 x 48 and Fiat terrazzo.
Thank you in advance.

Comments (21)

• nelaco
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I mean I would like to change the look. If tiling is not an option, can you think of any other? Maybe they make liners to glue on top? Thank you for your help.
  • millworkman
    4 years ago

Nope unfortunately, nothing shy of rip and redo. But then you will need to tie in the new waterproofing with the wall system at which point a complete gut would be the best option.

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

I'm assuming you are looking for an inexpensive way to freshen it up, and that does look like it is long past its prime. I agree with millworkman's comments, but will also say that you could try applying bathroom epoxy coating. Just be prepared for the chance that it might start to peel in the future and at that point your best bet would be to rip the whole thing out. But, if you accept that possibility, I don't see you have much to lose given its present appearance.

• nelaco
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you both. I was just trying to save the base since it didn't have any issues other than looks. I'll replace it with a new one but I am having a hard time deciding on brand. Any recomendations? I would like to keep it under $600. Thanks again.
  • kudzu9
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, if you just tear out the base, you'll have problems with the waterproofing where the tile meets the base. You will also have trouble removing the base without damaging the tile and how it adheres to the wall, and you'll have trouble getting a new base in place. You should really wait to replace the base until you have enough money to redo the whole shower.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    4 years ago

Do you have any local companies that do shower/bath grout and tile cleaning? Because that is you're real option given what you would like to spend and the issues in both the floor and wall tiles. You need to have a Pro come in and clean all your tile and grout, remove and replace the caulk at the change of plane around the shower base, and then let it go until you are ready to tear it all out and re-do it (if you choose to). An on-site evaluation by a company that specializes in this type of remedial work is in order. As millworkman stated, you can't just tile over the shower floor. And any tear-out and re-do is way over what you want to spend. Just get it cleaned up, but by a Pro.

• nelaco
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Sorry I didn't mention this....I am planning to replace the tile with Kohlers' wall panels. We are re doing the whole bathroom. I just felt like a waste to dump a solid shower base (but very ugly). The tiles are coming off easily so I am hoping to be able to keep the old drywall and give it a coat of RedGard.
    The question I have at this point is what brand do you recommend for the base?
    Thank you.
  • PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    4 years ago

If that is coming out, then a Kohler cast iron base would be of similar quality and longevity, and not be a downgrade to the home. Nothing acrylic. None of the plastic tileable bases. Those would be downgrades.

If you want tile, you need the correct tile contractor who can do a mud pack base. Or just use a foam waterproofing system with foam tileable base, like Kerdi. There are many systems out there. Any many who do it badly, and wrong. Especially using a painted on membrane. You need the right contractor.

All of this will be over your stated budget. Which is why people are trying to talk you into just having that cleaned until you can tackle the project correctly with enough funds for a successful outcome.

• nelaco
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Linda. To be clear, my $600 budget is just for the base alone. I already purchased Kohler wall panels. We are doing a full remodel.

Unfortunately Kohler doesn't make a base in 32 x 48 with a center drain...only to the left or right side.

I agree with you anything in plastic or acrylic would be a downgrade and this is why I am trying keep this one. I found one exactly like mine for $400, but it is 300 lbs and it is not available locally. Shipping would be prohibited. It is the Fiat "4832MFTR 48" X 32" MONTEREY TERRAZZO SHOWER FLOOR" with white chips.

I'll keep looking for other brands. Thank you all for your help.

• beaniebakes
    4 years ago

I assume you’re using Koehler Choreograph walls. While Koehler doesn’t make a cast iron base in your size, they have a very nice acrylic base that, in my opinion, would not be a downgrade (see link below) and is compatible with the wall system. Search for Kohler Choreograph thread on this forum and you’ll see some beautiful showers. If you shop at a real plumbing store with a showroom, you should be able to see them in person along with trim pieces and accessories. If this approach isn’t affordable, I agree with other recommendations to hold off for now and just clean the existing base.

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/browse/bathroom-showering-shower-bases/_/N-2d8rZ1z11wjsZ1z11wn6?Nr=AND%28product.language%3AEnglish%2CP_market%3AKPNASite%29

• nelaco
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Beaniebakes, but your link doesn't show any with the drain in the center. I can't find any from Kohler on 48 x 32. Am I missing something? $600 should buy me pretty much any decent base....I just can't find it.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

There is a 48 x 34 in Kohler - can you spare the 2"? It will be nicer to have that extra in the shower as well. Other wise look into Fluerco, Maax and Americh. They all offer 48 x 32 shower pans.

Good luck!

• nelaco
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't go further than 32", otherwise I would have to re-frame the current wall. I'll check out those other brands. Thank you Debbi!

• beaniebakes
    4 years ago

nelaco.. oops... sorry, I realized that after I hit “submit.” In addition to Debbi’s suggestions, also check our MTI Baths. They have three collections ...Basics, Designer and Boutique. I was interested in a base from the Designer collection and it was quite expensive, though a much better quality than other brands. The Basics Collection has a pan in your size but pricing isn’t available online. Also, I looked at an Americh base and it looked very slippery. I contacted the manufacturer to find out if it had a non-slip surface and they said no—a deal breaker for me. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

• nelaco
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great, thank you Beaniebakes, I'll look them up. Appreciate your help.

• beaniebakes
    4 years ago

This may be helpful to learn about the different materials,

https://youtu.be/9kyE8RpBXoU

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I think terrazzo can be restored. Have you contacted Fiat about how to restore it? Or places that specialize in terrazzo?

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Or you can tile over it. Link to Tile Council info on tiling over terrazzo:

Tile Council / Tiling over Terrazzo

The Fiat terrazzo bases are portland cement, per Fiat's website. With proper prep (abrading away any remaining finish) I would think that tiling over it wouldn't be much different than tiling over cement board or a cement slab. Pretty straight forward stuff.

• nelaco
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beaniebakes, thank you for the video. Very informative.

ci_lantro, thank you for your reply. Yes, I called Fiat a few days ago and they weren't much help. Basically they agreed I could polish it with a diamond pad attached to a grinder and then seal it. The only problem with this is that I just don't like the look even if new.

I've decided I'll get a new pan. I just need to review the different brands suggested here. Thanks again.

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

While one can tile over flat terazzo, dealing with the edge details and any curvature of a shower pan, as well as the drain hole, would be problematic and not look very good in my opinion.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars144 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource