SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_laville

Want to help stage a bunk room/sitting area for a beach house?

Laurie Laville
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, we are in the planning stages for a beach home. We come from large families and hope to provide lots of sleeping areas.

The downstairs has the Master bedroom and an open living/kitchen dining area.

The upstairs has two bedrooms and bathrooms, a small loft area and a long narrow dormer room across the front. This house has been popular in the area post Katrina. It has to be raised on pilings. This plan allows for more house on less pilings by being a story and a half. ( I have always loved 1.5 story homes anyway, so I fell in love with this house.) In many versions of this house, the narrow room across the front is small and has 4 bunks in a shed style dormer.

I have asked for a "Reverse Nantucket Dormer" meaning a gabled dormer with a slightly recessed shed dormer on either side. I am trying to create a second sitting area to send kids to watch tv if we don't want the to have the tv on downstairs.

Here is the house. Ours will have the side porch on the left side to get a better view. The front porch faces the beach. This house has two shed dormers. We plan to put a gabled "doghouse" dormer in the middle. The ceiling in that portion will be vaulted and that section will be about two feet deeper than the the sheds. I will attach a picture in the first comment to show and example of this type of "Reverse Nantucket" dormer.

Below are the preliminary plans and some ideas that I have. I appreciate any ideas that you might have for staging such a small space.

Comments (15)