SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

concrete finish for deck replacement

Fori
5 years ago

I'm getting ready to redo my backyard, including replacing the concrete deck and coping on my pool. This is a 50s house in a mild climate--no frost. I would like to maintain the dated I mean period-appropriate look of unstained concrete. (Staining by nature is expected and okay.)

I'm not a huge fan of the broom finish but it seems like a good choice for slip resistance. Currently we have whatever was common in the 1950s--it's a little too worn to know what it was like new but it was probably a smoother finish. Probably was dangerous. Salt finish seems like another choice for pool areas.

What other options for concrete finishes are good for poolside? We are planning on brick coping to match nearby brick patios and garden accents.

I have ruled out aggregate because our local rock places don't have colors I like. I have ruled out stamped concrete because I don't like it. I don't like concrete pavers either. :) We will be putting in a deck mounted safety cover which will require rails so simpler is better, not only from an installation standpoint, but for appearances. The cover won't be pretty but it'll be worse if it's sitting on top of a glorious deck, so we won't continue the brick paving into the pool area.

TL;DR: What kind of concrete finish will be less slippery when wet?

Thanks!

Comments (12)