SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Should I? Commercial Espresso Machine.

John Liu
5 years ago

Should I do this?

Years ago, I curb picked a commercial dual head espresso machine. Exactly like the espresso machines you see in a cafe, cranking out lattes and cappucinos. I think it is a "La Marzocca", maybe? It is buried in the garage and I'm too lazy to go look.

The machine needs work, new heads, etc. I've meant to fix it up but it always seemed like too big a project.

Well, to install my dishwasher I had to install a subpanel and now I have plenty of room for more 240v circuits, so I can run another 240v circuit to power the espresso machine without too much work. It needs to be hard plumbed to a water supply too. I'm not much of a plumber but I can do that or have it done. I don't know if I can or want to do the restoration on the espresso machine itself but there are plenty of companies in Portland who do that. The point is, I'm thinking about moving ahead with this.

So here are my questions / dilemmas.

First, where to put it? I really don't have room in my small kitchen for this large machine. I want to put it in the dining room, but SWMBO doesn't want it permanently installed there. It is so heavy that two men are required to lift it, not something that can be put away in a cupboard. I have been thinking about installing it on a rolling cart that would also have storage for cups, saucers, coffee, etc. I could hide the 240v receptacle and water tap behind little access doors in the dining room, then roll the cart there and hook it up when we have a dinner party or whatever.

Second, is it really worth the trouble to be able to pull espresso and make Americanos, lattes, cappucinos etc? As opposed to simply buying a Nescafe machine? I like coffee, I like espresso, I could be tempted to become an espresso snob. But should I?

Third, are these machines hard to use? I guess I could go to my usual coffee shop and ask them to give me a lesson. But maybe someone here has worked as a barista? I'd hate to go to all the effort and then realize I don't have the necessary skills.

One way or the other, I need to use this curbpick or get rid of it. My garage is getting way too full. It is a tiny one car garage from 1911 or so, back when people drove Model As. I long ago gave up trying to park a car in there, and turned it into a workshop. But now it is full of bikes and tools, table saw, SWMBO's kiln, snow tires, stuff awaiting fixing, more bikes, arrgh. I'm going to paint a bike frame soon and I will have to make space to work.

Comments (199)