SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ice_queen66

An update on my Jade plant & overwatering/underwatering issues

Queen
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello. I have a couple of doubts. I hope you'd be patient (:

First, here's an update on my Jade. I have repotted her into a new terracotta pot, with this cactus/succulent mix that I got online. I hope this soil is okay? I've had a hard time finding the right soil!

I mixed it with perlite in 50:50 ratio, with a thin bottom layer of pebbles and perlite (not in this picture) in order to facilitate drainage, and a little more perlite on the top. Rest of the soil is thoroughly mixed.

The next doubt I have is- is the pot size okay? Or is it too small and shallow for the plant?

And next, what keeps me most worried is- are the roots healthy? Is it possible that I disturbed them too much (Have repotted her for the second time now in the last 2 weeks) ? They aren't exactly "mushy" but then again, I am not sure because I was afraid to touch them and disturb them too much! The stem is firm to touch though.

Now the LAST doubt- I really don't seem to understand how often to water them. I was told and have read that it should be watered once in two weeks or maybe twice or thrice a month. I tried doing that, but I see that the soil gets dried up in max 4 days of being watered, and then I'm tempted to water it the 5th day because the soil looks and feels REAL DRY.

I live in India, and though it's winter time here, the day temperatures are around 28-30 degrees, with a nice hot sun. And I let the Jade sit in direct sunlight from like 9 in the morning till 4 in the evening (Maybe that's why she's turning red, so I have moved her to a shady spot now). So how often do I water her?

I don't seem to get hang of the leaf-test thing. When I touched them yesterday they felt thin, and slightly flexible, and if I try to twist them a little, I see some wrinkling. So I watered them but they still feel the same! I don't want to kill her by over or under watering

I know I have a lot of doubts, but am extremely new to this. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you !

Queen

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio