SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto

Engineered wood next to solid wood

melle_sacto
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm posting a lot because we just bought a house and now trying to make a bunch of decisions before we move. One decision is to remove some carpeting, have wood floors installed to match the rooms with original wood, and have them all refinished to match.I'm concerned about the flooring in the hallway. It's maybe engineered wood, it doesn't match any of the oak floors in the family room and bedrooms, and it crackles when you walk on it.
Additionally, every room transition off the hall has a 3/4 or 1 inch tall transition between hallway and room (which totals 7 of these ridiculous transitions off the hallway... writing about it just now makes the hall sound ridiculous) but the floor level doesn't change between those spaces so it seems like unnecessary bumps.
Is there a way to tell what/why this is happening in the hall? I realized it was different when we looked at the house prior to purchase, but the agent said we could just refinish it when we did the other rooms. Now I'm not even sure that is the case, the crackling reminds me of what our floating laminate floor was doing right after install (not really an issue now) For our floor we used a really good underlayment and I think it's nicer than the hall in the house we bought, that hall sounds cheap and fake even though the wood we can see looks real.
When I have the flooring guys come and look, how will I know they are being forthcoming about the situation in that hallway?
My in-laws think the hall is fine but none of them have solid oak flooring, one has glue-down engineered floor, they don't really realize that the hall is different from the original floor and they think it was the best match available. Is that true, that you can't match 1960s oak flooring these days?

Comments (4)