SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_real_dock

Floorplan / layout critiques & suggestions for new country home

the_real_dock
5 years ago

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Looking for observations, suggestions, corrections.

Home will face south on top of a hill on 18 acres. Mountain views out of the front and back (from southeast to west out the front, from west to north east out the back). Man, wife, boys 3 and 2 years old, and cat immediately; goats and chickens once settled in.

The thing I like the least about the plan is the stair location/orientation. They are kind of an offset switchback in order to get appropriate clearance under and above the prominent windows in the front of the house (this will make more sense paired with the elevation pic below).

Main floor. 1476 sq ft. Again, mountain views front and back. Yard where the kids will play and my barn are to the left (west), hence windows on either side of the range.

2nd floor. 992 finished sq ft. 2 kids bedrooms, a bath, and a bonus room. 2nd floor does not have the same foot print as the 1st. Makes more sense viewing elevation pic below.

Full basement. 1476 ft. Daylight on back side where the door window are all the way over to the right where the single garage door is. Mower, 4wheeler, project vehicles go in here. Left section will have a drain plumbed in for future bath/kitchenette, but will be storage until then. Also, there will be a door near the stairs to get from the garage portion to the living portion.

Exterior will resemble this. Bumpout on the right side will be a bit wider with space between the windows. Also, the first floor bumps out to the right 8 feet.

Some exterior elements borrowed from each of these

So again, just hoping you lovely people can check my blind spots and point out any obvious, or not so obvious, flaws in the design.

Comments (158)